+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 3/25 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Fan

Re: 3/25 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by yharden;2873140;
    I am not so sure that they really bonded, and they haven't won (they only won this weeks weigh-in). Secondly, them "bonding" really had nothing to do with them winning the weigh-in.
    I agree. Ali can say she has formed an alliance with Kelly all she wants. She was "in the process of forming an alliance" (or something like that) with Brit the week before Brit was voted off. She has also said she doesn't think Mark has that much more to lose. Ali's in this to win (and I think she's doing really well). So let's say that next week Mark & Kelly were below the line ... I think that girl alliance would be out the window, and Ali would vote off the biggest threat. Same reason she voted Brittany out two weeks ago.

I am hoping:
    that all the food from the challenge was left overs from after a Trojans event and would have wound up in the trash. They can't give it away, as it could pose a health risk, so they used it in the challenge.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by yharden;2873140;
    I am not so sure that they really bonded, and they haven't won (they only won this weeks weigh-in). Secondly, them "bonding" really had nothing to do with them winning the weigh-in.
    I know, I just meant they won that week, when the guys were so cocky. And I think bonding will help for the future, in that they will encourage each other the way the guys do. Before this Ali was, if anything, bonding with the blue team, leaving Kelly all alone and in a good position to get depressed...and you all know what happens then....

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;2874014;
    I am hoping:
    that all the food from the challenge was left overs from after a Trojans event and would have wound up in the trash. They can't give it away, as it could pose a health risk, so they used it in the challenge.

Yes, it could pose a health risk . . . which is why it gave me so much joy to see Dan stuffing his face with it! I'm sure none of it was the freshest thing going . . .though the ice cream certainly would've been all right to use again. Not when they were done, though--it was probably soup!

The actual value of the food aside (which is pretty close to nil, I grant you), there's still a lot of expense and effort involved to obtain the stuff and set up the challenges (not to mention all the non-biodegradable packaging winding up in landfills and so forth . . .I'm thinking about the 150 or so plastic cups filled with soda that were never touched; how about the 100 or so pounds of sugar that got dumped on the floor? Don't suppose any of that was usable again.) Yeah, yeah, sugar is bad, right. But the amount of effort and cost in producing these challenges still leads to a great amount of waste. I just think that effort and money could be better expended elsewhere, other than providing ammo for poor nations of the world to hate America more than they already do. Couldn't we use that same amount of money and production time to, oh, I don't know, give the contestants healthful cooking lessons, or gift certificates for healthy groceries when they return home? I think BL throws away a lot of opportunities to be more instructive both to the players and to the viewers. They already know that junk food is bad, as do we--that's ano-brainer. Frankly, is anybody tempted by any of that stuff anymore?

They could design far better food challenges, and that was my point.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;2875773;
    The actual value of the food aside (which is pretty close to nil, I grant you), there's still a lot of expense and effort involved to obtain the stuff and set up the challenges (not to mention all the non-biodegradable packaging winding up in landfills and so forth . . .I'm thinking about the 150 or so plastic cups filled with soda that were never touched; how about the 100 or so pounds of sugar that got dumped on the floor? Don't suppose any of that was usable again.) Yeah, yeah, sugar is bad, right. But the amount of effort and cost in producing these challenges still leads to a great amount of waste. I just think that effort and money could be better expended elsewhere, other than providing ammo for poor nations of the world to hate America more than they already do. Couldn't we use that same amount of money and production time to, oh, I don't know, give the contestants healthful cooking lessons, or gift certificates for healthy groceries when they return home? I think BL throws away a lot of opportunities to be more instructive both to the players and to the viewers. They already know that junk food is bad, as do we--that's ano-brainer. Frankly, is anybody tempted by any of that stuff anymore?

They could design far better food challenges, and that was my point.
    Huh. Sorry if this appears twice. I was typing and my post just disappeared into space.

I totally agree with you about the choices made on this show for challenges. For a "green" season with Nalgene water bottles and Brita filters, there has been a heck of a lot of waste. What's with all of the pimping of ziplock? I get meal planning ... it's a way to stay on track when busy. But why not pyrex storage bowls or rubbermaid containers? Why all of the throw away plastic? And the food waste is incredibly hypocritical, especially as they had the big challenge about garbage accumulation last season when Bill & Julie won the cars. Don't they think this through? They need some new hires to think outside the box when planning future challenges.

CCL

Honestly, the challenges don't bother me one bit. The goal of the show is to be entertaining and interesting, and I feel the challenges help that. With regards to the last challenge: The food is/was biodegradable. Most of the containers were recylable - not sure about the cups (I don't remember what they looked like), but certainly the ice cream containers, pizza boxes etc. Who is to say that they aren't recycling them afterward?
    As for them being more instructive to the viewers and to the cast members - I'm sure there are plenty of things that they teach the contestants that they don't show on the program. And BL is not a documentary/health show whose aim is to promote good health to the public and educate them about losing weight - it is an entertainment program. Its goal is to get good ratings, not to educate the public.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

You do bring up good points CCL. I guess it's just disgusting to me how that much food can be generated and I guess more to the point is that THAT much food was eaten at some point by the contestants whether it be collectively or individually. It still has me in disbelief at times. I know I used to be one of them who could sit an eat an entire bag of chips or what have you. It's just, sometimes a reminder of a place when I was bigger and not happy! Maybe that's why it strikes such a chord.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2876144;
    Honestly, the challenges don't bother me one bit. The goal of the show is to be entertaining and interesting, and I feel the challenges help that. With regards to the last challenge: The food is/was biodegradable. Most of the containers were recylable - not sure about the cups (I don't remember what they looked like), but certainly the ice cream containers, pizza boxes etc. Who is to say that they aren't recycling them afterward?
    As for them being more instructive to the viewers and to the cast members - I'm sure there are plenty of things that they teach the contestants that they don't show on the program. And BL is not a documentary/health show whose aim is to promote good health to the public and educate them about losing weight - it is an entertainment program. Its goal is to get good ratings, not to educate the public.
    I don't think entertainment and instructional value have to be mutually exclusive. I for one was vastly entertained when Chef Rocco was a guest judge, and as a bonus I got some practical recipes to try.

I disagree, furthermore, that this show has no responsibility to educate its viewship. This is not "Jacka$$" or "Fear Factor"--it is a show about unhealthy people getting healthy, and is rightfully an inspiration to others watching who are in the same boat as the contestants. With a little more creativity they could come up with better stuff.

This viewer for one is not really entertained at the current challenges, if that's the standard we're shooting for.

CCL

My point is that if they were going for the educational angle, it would be a much different show, and it would be the poorer for it (at least in my opinion). I do believe there is a place for a show that would work to educate the public about diet, exercise, healthy living etc. But I don't think the Biggest Loser is it, nor do I think that it has to be it.
    I agree that entertainment and instructional value don't have to be mutually exclusive. But I think that the producers are always going to go for the entertaining over the educational; they alway focus more on the drama than on the lessons learned. And I would argue that most viewers are more interested in the entertainment aspect of the show than in any educational wisdom it may impart. I, for one, certainly don't expect to learn much about diet and health from a reality show.
    Last edited by CCL; 03-28-2008 at 05:58 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I agree, CCL. We've had this discussion before, and I believe there is a major disconnect between what the show is intended to be and what some people are looking to gain from it.

Personally, I don't find it realistic to expect this show to teach me how to lose 5-10lbs a week. They give me enough tidbits to get by.. and if I want to actually learn about weight loss I'd go to Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, or watch I Can Make You Thin on the Discovery Channel.

I think this show is doing MUCH better this season about talking about the realities of losing weight. "Don't cut your food too low or you won't lose weight" has been a major reoccuring theme this season to the extent that I believe the point has gotten across to most viewers. And discussions about the need for carbs, etc. I fully commend them for the education that they have managed to put in... something every single show.

Even this past week's challenge showed Kelly discussing why she picked the foods that she did based upon calorie content, etc.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread