+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 3/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 3/4 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by MomAt40Pls;2827255;
    Of course many (most) of them still look fat. What did you expect after 10 weeks of losing weight? Unfortunately, that attitude is what keeps people locked into being 300 lbs, 400 lbs, and more.
    Actually the show's progress episodes are the healthiest and closest to normalcy. It's bad enough that the show emphasizes unrealistic weight losses that may dissuade obese viewers from doing something about their problem. The fact is there are no miracles, and working on solving a serious health issue such as obesity is no walk in the park. One has to work on themselves on so many levels.... Even past contestants who have managed to keep most of the weight off complain that their body image is the toughest problem they've been dealing with post-weight loss. That in and of itself requires rewiring one's brain which is very very difficult, though possible.

The show is somewhat simplistic, but unfortunately there's no way around it. I disagree that it has been on for far too long though. It may actually contribute to a serious change in mentality on the part of the general public. There are things to be learned despite any faults.

Sheila

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I was surprised they didn't show the guys going on the plane flight (would those big guys even fit in the seats yet? Maybe they only can go when they get thin!). Frankly not a prize I'd want to win... I get airsick on small planes, much less planes dodging around in dogfight manoevers!

Quote Originally Posted by sheila;2827464;
    Actually the show's progress episodes are the healthiest and closest to normalcy. It's bad enough that the show emphasizes unrealistic weight losses that may dissuade obese viewers from doing something about their problem. The fact is there are no miracles, and working on solving a serious health issue such as obesity is no walk in the park. One has to work on themselves on so many levels.... Even past contestants who have managed to keep most of the weight off complain that their body image is the toughest problem they've been dealing with post-weight loss. That in and of itself requires rewiring one's brain which is very very difficult, though possible.

The show is somewhat simplistic, but unfortunately there's no way around it. I disagree that it has been on for far too long though. It may actually contribute to a serious change in mentality on the part of the general public. There are things to be learned despite any faults.

Sheila
    I just want to clarify that I think this show is good and it gets people to lose weight especially with its online weight loss club. What I meant by being on too long was that I guess due to the writers strike, I do not like the 2 hour format because is goes on forever. I personally only watch the weighin segment as that normally starts at the top of the second hour, skip the vote off and watch the 'how so they look now' segment. This cycle also feels as it has lasted a very very long time and I just want it to end.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;2826692;
    ...and PLEASE get Charlotte Ray on I HATE this new host.
    Awwww. I really like Alison Sweeney as the host. I find her much more genuine than the old host and I like the fact that she has struggled with her weight, but has also been successful in controlling it!!!

ETA: Why Charlotte Rae?? All though I was a fan of The Facts of Life, I'm not sure I could handle her voice on a weekly basis...

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I'm sure they probably meant Caroline Rhea!!!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2827771;
    I'm sure they probably meant Caroline Rhea!!!!!
    Oops, sorry I did mean Caroline Rhea. I've always liked her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2827046;
    Now while I agree that the show has been on too long, we ALL have to wait for the April finale; what, at least 4 wks away, before we see the "real" results of everyones dieting. The finale is where we will see the 200lb loses. I mean Kelly has lost what over 50 - 60 lbs but at her height of 5'6" she needs to lose another 70 lbs to get to her goal weight. A majority of the men voted off still need to lose another 100lbs. Bernie was not too bad another 30lbs for him though. While I too get tired of seeing 300lb contestents who still look fat in their after shots; what is really scary is how many 300 and 400lb people there are in this country trying to get on this show.
    They should have sign up sheets at Walmart, lol.

Guys, these people have binge eating disorder which is very very difficult to control and cure though not impossible. Neuroplasticity (a new branch of Neurology) has made great strides toward a cure, but it is very difficult, as it is a disease associated with a malfunction of the hypothalamus in their brain. Even contestants who have managed to keep most of the weight off still seem to show symptoms of the disease, since any cure of it will most definitely require literally rewiring the brain. Difficult stuff. The show certainly helps in that it contributes to the re-education of the public that is a big part in any recovery process.

Sheila

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sheila;2828800;
    Guys, these people have binge eating disorder which is very very difficult to control and cure though not impossible. Neuroplasticity (a new branch of Neurology) has made great strides toward a cure, but it is very difficult, as it is a disease associated with a malfunction of the hypothalamus in their brain. Even contestants who have managed to keep most of the weight off still seem to show symptoms of the disease, since any cure of it will most definitely require literally rewiring the brain. Difficult stuff. The show certainly helps in that it contributes to the re-education of the public that is a big part in any recovery process.

Sheila
    Some kind of genetic disorder of the hypothalamus?

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2829839;
    Some kind of genetic disorder of the hypothalamus?
    Not necessarily. There can be a genetic predisposition perhaps. Trauma certainly plays a role. It's very complicated really. One example of how weird it is: ADHD sufferers can often have binge eating disorder, but they cannot become anorexic, as in ever. Different malfunction, different chemicals play a role there.

Sheila

+ Reply to Thread