+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 2/19 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 2/19 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

No, I didn't hear about the yogurt on the show, I read it on a medical study that was published in the very respected medical, peer-reviewed Journal of Obesity. The study ws carried out at the University of Tennessee. This is not a joke. Three servings of fat-free plain yogurt a day account for spectacular fat loss. The subjects of the study lost 22% more weight, 66% more body fat, and 81% more abdominal fat than the subjects who did not eat those three servings! This translated into an average weight loss of 14 pounds in 12 weeks. Moreover, they lost less lean mass than the second group, and the results appear to be solid. If you have trouble finding decent yogurt, I would strongly suggest you make your own. It's very very easy, and yogurt machines are very simple and very cheap, I got mine from amazon.com for less than $20. All you need is fat-free or low-fat milk, powder milk, and a little yogurt as starter. I usually use Greek imported yogurt (FAGE) because it's excellent, and because it is made according to the very strict European Union (Commission) guidelines. Besides, the resulting yogurt tastes like the Greek one. I generally love yogurt, so this is a very welcome finding as far as I'm concerned.

The bottom line is that the people on the show probably maximize their weight loss. Normal people cannot always be perfect and don't get the same incentives or motivation and promise of lot of cah.

Sheila

sheila, is this to replace a meal, or just like a supplement? Also, is this serving what is in the information on the carton, do you know? Isn't a serving usually 1/ cup? I think I'm going to try this. I started to say there's nothing to loose but I'm hoping that is not the case.

No, you don't replace any meal with yogurt. It works as your daily dairy serving. There was no extra calory restriction in the diets the subjects of the study followed. There was another study that I cannot find any more, according to which the best time to eat two of the yogurt servings was after working out. I usually work out late, so I have a serving immediately after the workout and another half an hour or so thereafter. I see some difference in the reduction of my tummy, but I'm not sure what is going on here, i.e. whether it's the yogurt, the crunches, and/or the fact that I put on weight on my thighs, rather than my tummy, so I mainly see the first on last off rule here. At any rate, the study seems to be solid, and, as I said before, I love yogurt. In the weekend I make gallons of it, literally.

Sheila

Oh yes, I forgot to say that researchers don't have a clue as to why yogurt facilitates fat loss. It's certainly not just the calcium, because they have tried to substitute yogurt with calcium tablets in another study, but it didn't yield such results. I suspect that the answer is really metabolic and yogurt probably works as a catalyst of sorts. Who knows?

Sheila

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Given the topic of this show I don't think this discussion is a true threadjack, but just to tie it back to the show a bit, I wonder why they don't get Dannon as a sponsor then? They could make a big deal of this. Or a yoghurt machine company?
    The more abdominal fat finding is especially interesting since that's the fat that's supposed to be the "killer" as it were, much more so than fat on the thighs...the whole apple/pear shape thing. Of course I actually love milk so I wouldn't want to give up my skim milk for this. Very weird that it works better than the milk of which it is made (well, don't know if that was an actual comparison, but while I've heard skim milk is good for weight I've never heard any numbers like those).

Oh it's probably the yogurt culture.

Sheila

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567