+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2/19 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

FORT Newbie

Re: 2/19 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Paul would gain weight because the treatment for pneumonia is steriods. Usually if you are on steriods, the first week you put on 8-10 pounds. He should be able to lose it quickly.

While it's true that the other players were put into situations where they were faced with temptations, I think only Paul's friends and family were actually waving the food and taunting him with it. With Bernie, he picked up the cupcake himself and smelled it. I didn't feel like his friend was trying to tempt him...too much. I really felt like Paul's friends and family were being insensitive about it. It was the same as when Matt Hoover went home and his buddies were giving him a hard time at the bar and taunting him about drinks. It just wasn't supportive behavior.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

To the Point

I can't say that Paul was a favorite of mine, but I never felt that he was mean, just not as motivated. After seeing the lack of support he was shown at home I have a better understanding of why he would lack motivation. However, I feel bad for him in that, of all the contestants, he probably needed to still be at the ranch more than any of the others simply because of all the issues he seemed to be battling and that lack of support. I hope that he steps up, and that someone in his "support system" will also step up and help him.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Maybe his girlfriend can get on the weightlosing boat with him... otherwise I think she will be at least unconsciously sabotaging him.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherzd;2809650;
    Paul would gain weight because the treatment for pneumonia is steriods. Usually if you are on steriods, the first week you put on 8-10 pounds. He should be able to lose it quickly.
    Really? I had no idea. I was just prescribed antibiotics and that was it. I am also totally clueless about steroids, i.e. whether there are different kinds. I've had to take steroids on account of orthopedic issues, but it was only for a week, and perhaps this is why I didn't gain any weight either. But as I said, I'm not an expert in these things.

Question: steroid weight gain is always muscle, isn't it? If so, that's good news for Paul, isn't it? He'll be able to burn more fat, so his percentage of lean vs. fat changed for the better anyway.

Sheila

Snoozin' on the beach

Quote Originally Posted by sheila;2815272;
    Really? I had no idea. I was just prescribed antibiotics and that was it. I am also totally clueless about steroids, i.e. whether there are different kinds. I've had to take steroids on account of orthopedic issues, but it was only for a week, and perhaps this is why I didn't gain any weight either. But as I said, I'm not an expert in these things.

Question: steroid weight gain is always muscle, isn't it? If so, that's good news for Paul, isn't it? He'll be able to burn more fat, so his percentage of lean vs. fat changed for the better anyway.

Sheila
    No its not always muscle. I was on steriods after head surgery and gain 30lbs in 2 weeks. I was on steriods for at least 8 months but the weight gain showed up immediately. Most of it was water gain as my food intake was either the same or less than I normally ate. I lost the weight gain super fast once I was off the steriods completely. It all depends on the type of steriods I think, there are all different kinds.

How out of perspective does this game get when a 5-pound weight loss at home with no coaching or calorie Nazis is considered a failure? 5 pounds in a week would make you the champ of any local Weight Watchers meeting in the country.
    This was my reaction as well. When I was doing weight watchers, the first week I lost 4.5 lbs and I was ecstactic. These people went home, tried to live a 'normal' life and managed to lose, all of them, even wing-scarfing Paul. Yet their trainers were disappointed in them because what? Brittney had a small piece of pizza? One cookie? Dan had a couple of glasses of wine? Yikes. I realize this is a television show but that is so ridiculous when you consider the message it sends to people who want to lose weight gradually. I don't agree with cutting all carbs, diets like that, because I just don't see how you can hope to live that way for the rest of your life. It's not realistic.

I'm baffled by how the blue team could lose so much weight in a week, at home. They seemed to be back at the ranch for a few days before they weighed in so perhaps it was a "reality-tv" week and not an actual seven day week? I haven't seen last night's show yet, so perhaps there is an explanation there. It just seems completely insane to lose 16 lbs in a week. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;2815892;
    I'm baffled by how the blue team could lose so much weight in a week, at home. They seemed to be back at the ranch for a few days before they weighed in so perhaps it was a "reality-tv" week and not an actual seven day week? I haven't seen last night's show yet, so perhaps there is an explanation there. It just seems completely insane to lose 16 lbs in a week. Crazy.
    From what I read these people spend five hours A DAY at the gym! Obviously these are not shown during the show. Five hours a day at the gym, seven days a week, plus a 1600 calorie diet on average (because it fluctuates) should do the trick. Think of it: let's assume women cut down 1000 calories a day, that's immediately two pounds there (or 7000 calories). Add to that an average of 2500 calories burned at the gym, seven days a week, that's another 12500 calories burned, or another 3-4 pounds. They are obviously fed in such a way as to maximize their weight loss. Only think of this: three servings of non-fat yogurt a day have been proved to show dramatic results in upping metabolism and burning fat. What I have just described above is a lowly average of 6 pounds a week. The contestants are way too overweight, so they obviously lose even more, the men are men and have more muscle to burn the fat, etc. etc etc.

The only difference between them and us normal folks is that they have their prison guards, a.k.a. their trainers and other people of the show to watch over them in order to keep the ratings up. In real life it's almost impossible to follow such a vigorous program and lose so much fat in such a short period.

Oh yes, I've also read that toward the end of the show, some of them dehydrate themselves or take laxatives in order to lose more which is not really fat. But there is all that money to be won....you get the picture.......

Sheila

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Where'd you hear that about 3 servings of non-fat yoghurt a day? That sounds interesting--was it on the show?

I'm interested in the non fat yogurt info too. I would partake, if I could find a company who doesn't add in artificial sweeteners when they remove the fat. Not worth the health risk, imo. /threadjack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast