+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2/19 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 2/19 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

I think the challenge prize was unfair if Dan and Roger weighed in on the day they returned to the ranch. Air travel is dehydrating. Those with the longest flights, lost the most. Except for Paul- but soda and wings will do that.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

I think one of the reasons that Paul failed at home is the fact that he had no support that I could see. None of the other contestants went out for supper and had their friends and family shoving the bad food at them, taunting them with sundae's. Of all of them, Paul needs the most support. Some, if not all of the others, would have been able to say No to the wings and soda, but not him. That is something he will have to learn to do if he is to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by BFP;2803306;
    Well, I had been rooting for Brittany despite her numbers being so poor leading up to this week.

Then to give Paul dirty looks and try to claim anything BUT "I'm friends with Bernie and Maggie" in justifying getting rid of the guy on the team who has lost the most weight makes me think she has no desire to actually win the game.

Good luck Black Team! Enjoy trying to win when Brittany and Maggie bust out those MASSIVE 4 pound weight losses week after week! Maybe Kelly can cry a few more pounds away.

What a brilliant strategy, always wise to keep the 2 biggest dead weights in the competition around because, hey, you like them!
    Totally agree. Kelly and Paul have been the mainstays of the black team. Kelly is consistent in losing 7-8 lbs a week and Paul is up there too. Bernie is inconsistent. Brittany and Maggie just overwhelm me with the massive 2 and 3 lb weekly weight losses they consistently have. Are they possibly sleep eating??? That would explain alot.

Oh, best thing about this episode is that during the weight in they showed the before and after pics of the contestents. You can see the changes in all of them. I would say that the majority are about half through their weight loss journeys.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2803509;

Oh, best thing about this episode is that during the weight in they showed the before and after pics of the contestents. You can see the changes in all of them. I would say that the majority are about half through their weight loss journeys.
    I did think that part was great, too. A lot of them look so different, particularly Roger and Mark.

I do think Paul might be in trouble at home. It doesn't seem like he will have people helping him and I don't think he necessarily has it in him to help himself.

I'm sure that going out to dinner was one of the challenges they set them when going home as they all seemed to eat out at least once. Eating out is definitely a challenge for a dieter and it was interesting to see how they handled it.

I do like Brittany but I thought she was quite sanctimonious last night in her treatment of Paul (right down to her eye-rolling). What he was saying about feeling left out of the black team was true enough (though he is not very good at spelling out his thinking in a calm, easy manner which is why Kelly had to jump in to smooth things over). In terms of numbers, it definitely would have been smarter to keep Paul but I don't see Brittany, Maggie or Bernie as winning anyhow and maybe they are thinking the same way and so are more concerned with having a nice, friends-first time when they're at the ranch, rather than basing their eviction on gameplay concerns.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fan

I just wanted to comment on Paul being in the hospital for 2 weeks with pneumonia. That happened to me, 3 months before my wedding. They hooked up an IV of some kind of fluid that ran all the time. They definitely want to keep you from dehydrating. That alone packed on the pounds, as well as staying in bed for 2 weeks in the hospital, plus recovery at home. I remember being concerned about weight gain, I was afraid I wouldn't fit into my wedding dress.

That said, Paul goofed off terribly at home and I probably would have wanted to send him home too. And those desserts - IMHO they didn't even look appetizing. Same goes for Bernie's cupcake.

I didn't watch Paul going home, but from what the other posters said it was pretty bad. His family and friends obviously don't love him, don't care for him and want him to die. The main reason Paul came on the show was to change his life because he has a family health history of dying young. Didn't he say that his own father died at 40?? Paul obviously has low self esteem and cannot help himself. He needs to desperately join a group like Overeaters Anon just to get some support. He is a food addict and his friends and family are enabling him.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Newbie

I really hope that he is doing okay at home. It really takes a lot of effort to lose weight in the real world. What he went through at home is no different that what a lot of people face in the real world. I know I have been through people trying to sabotage your weight loss efforts. I hope he succeeds at home and finally realizes he is worth it and does it for himself.

Despite Paul's rocky visit home, he still managed to drop 5 pounds, which is pretty awesome. After all those shots of him guzzling soda and cramming wings into his mouth, I would have expected a 10-pound gain.

Obviously the BL contestants are in an extreme weight loss situation where a bite of anything but vegetables and chicken is construed as failure. Somebody on a diet could go out and enjoy a small portion of what everyone else is having (though I probably would've passed on the Big Gulp of soda--that cup alone probably had 300 calories and I don't think he stopped at just one). With people this overweight, though, perhaps even allowing a tiny portion of an old favorite is asking for trouble.

Paul definitely has more emotional issues than the average dieter (which means A LOT of issues), and he will have to be vigilant and use that gym membership to full advantage. I'm glad to see he has someone in his life who loves him, though she is also very large & eating with her may be a big stumbling block for him, unless she is willing to change her habits too.

When I look at these people's families, it's obvious that food dependency and overweight are not individual problems, but family problems. Their entire families could benefit from a change in lifestyle, and without familial support, it's gonna be rocky going for our contestants off the ranch. I think the parents of young children actually have it easier, because THEY control what the family eats & little kids won't play the food-blackmail games adults are so good at.

I think Weight Watchers or another weight-loss support group would be invaluable for Paul. WW teaches you above all things--portion control. No food is off-limits, but moderation and physical activity are key. WW is always clamoring for more guys to join because fat is not strictly a women's issue, as we see. But as the Blue team has amply demonstrated, talking about emotional struggles in a group setting does not come easily to most men because it is not considered 'macho'. It takes a very strong man to be willing to join a 'women's' weight-loss group and stick it out. Paul is more emotional than the average guy & I think he might respond well to the community of a group such as WW. He and his girlfriend should both go & have a little 'BL couples' of their own.

I wish them both all the best. Paul was blunt & sometimes immature, but my heart goes out to him. He is far more authentic & truthful than anyone else on either team. Even if he does not reach his goal by the finale, he will be a winner if he can maintain his healthier habits for life.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper;2803408;
    I think one of the reasons that Paul failed at home is the fact that he had no support that I could see. None of the other contestants went out for supper and had their friends and family shoving the bad food at them, taunting them with sundae's.
    Not true. Bernie was taken to a bakery where they named his favorite cup cake after him and waved it under his nose.

Jay came home to a buffet filled with forbidden food. His son stole a donut and hid under the table. Later that day they went to a restaurant where he cut up his kids fish and chips for them and longed to eat that himself.

Roger also went to a restaurant and ordered the correct food while his family indulged in food he whished he could eat. He handled a French fry but put it down.

Brittany went out to a bar with friends and ordered water on the rocks while her friends had fancy drinks that she pined for.

Everyone was faced with extraordinary temtations. It was part of the format and done to give them a strong dose of what they will face when the show concludes.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;2805195;
    Not true. Bernie was taken to a bakery where they named his favorite cup cake after him and waved it under his nose.

Jay came home to a buffet filled with forbidden food. His son stole a donut and hid under the table. Later that day they went to a restaurant where he cut up his kids fish and chips for them and longed to eat that himself.

Roger also went to a restaurant and ordered the correct food while his family indulged in food he whished he could eat. He handled a French fry but put it down.

Brittany went out to a bar with friends and ordered water on the rocks while her friends had fancy drinks that she pined for.

Everyone was faced with extraordinary temtations. It was part of the format and done to give them a strong dose of what they will face when the show concludes.
    Yes, everyone had temptations at home. In all of your examples, the contestant made the right choice. Paul didn't. My comment was that Paul needs the most support and has the least.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast