+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 02/05 *Spoiler* Discussion Thread

FORT Fanatic

Re: 02/05 *Spoiler* Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shady64;2784108;
    I don't think it's all from just just a change in eating the correct calories. Then there's brittany who went from 2lbs. to her highest yet of 10? Bernie from 5 to 13. I'm just not buying that there isn't more to it. We'll never know

Maybe we WILL know next episode....could some suspicious numbers be the reason Bob storms out?

FORT Fanatic

I ASKED THIS AT THE TAIL END OF 1/29'S FORUM, SO PROBABLY NOBODY READ IT:

"Also...can anyone remember the trainers or hosts EVER addressing the women's handicap of menstruation (bloating, hormonal fluctuations, etc.) during any seasons to date? I can't."

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

NYCJude...I don't ever remember it being brought up on air in any of the seasons.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by NYCJUDE;2784742;
    I ASKED THIS AT THE TAIL END OF 1/29'S FORUM, SO PROBABLY NOBODY READ IT:

"Also...can anyone remember the trainers or hosts EVER addressing the women's handicap of menstruation (bloating, hormonal fluctuations, etc.) during any seasons to date? I can't."
    Never.

Which is why the concept of having women compete head to head with male teams at weight loss is a boneheaded idea. Menstrual cycles can account for some of those no-loss or gain weeks for the women. Not to mention that they are expected to work out just as hard as the men those weeks when they have their periods and must be exceedingly uncomfortable. Exercise does help menstrual symptoms, but not the rate at which these people are going at it.

I don't want to make excuses for the women, because I don't want to promote the idea that women are weak or can't cope. Our female BL contestants have proved otherwise. But women have different considerations then men do in diet and exercise regimens. Are these women getting enough iron, for example? Will someone get screamed at by her trainer because she is having an 'off' day on the treadmill due to heavy bleeding or cramps? Jillian might work out so hard, like many female hard-core athletes, that she no longer has a normal cycle.

This is a very masculine-oriented and dominated show, and I think that is its great weakness. So far they have basically ignored and refused to address gender differences in weight loss and it's making me angry. I don't know how many more times I can express my frustration that there needs to be a female and a male winner. Maybe the girls need a different workout routine, special foods, something. That is a biological fact.

Anyway, Mark worked out so hard he got a stress fracture. If that happened to him, what's happening to the girls with their lighter bones and smaller muscles? I think this show is getting more and more misogynistic and crazy. Does anybody really think we'll have a female in the final 4 this go-round? I don't. And that is no reflection on these women, just that the show is basically flawed. To be honest, watching these enormous men dominate every season is getting way old.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady64;2784108;
    I don't think it's all from just just a change in eating the correct calories. Then there's brittany who went from 2lbs. to her highest yet of 10? Bernie from 5 to 13. I'm just not buying that there isn't more to it. We'll never know
    Actually there are many factors that affect those numbers on the scale. Which doesn't mean that the show is crystal clear about what they do to slim down those people. As far as I know, they exercise up to 5 hours a day, especially doing boring, low-impact aerobic exercise in the fat-burning zone. Their eating also varies. They never take in the same calories because their metabolism will slow down. The trick is to trick your body into believing that all is well and you're not trying to give it less than it's used to (which is too much). I believe they tend to range from 1200 (the minimum healthy) to 1600, even 2000 calories at least once a week in order to nag their bodies into releasing the grease.

Also: there can be slow-downs in weight loss which, assuming people did everything right, accounts for huge losses the following week. The reasons vary: it can be water retention, or slow-down of the metabolism that is boosted the next week due to wind sprints or different caloric consumption. It can also be too much stress that releases cortisol, the hormone that puts their bodies into starvation mode. Each episode is simply a summary of what goes on, and they don't show the less exciting parts.

Finally, menstrual cycles can be responsible for weight gain. For example, I have sometimes gained as many as 7 pounds of water in the week before my period, all of which disappears in a couple of days when I get my period. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes it does. In general, however, women burn fat slower than men because they have less muscle and are programmed to retain more fat. Unfortunately, even women like me who have naturally more muscle than the average woman of my height, lose slower than men.

Sheila

Snoozin' on the beach

There are so less than kosher methods for not losing much one week and losing more the next as well. They've already waterloaded to throw one challenge, i'm not buying that they didn't do anything sneaky again. It's to suspect that the 4 people that lost the least weight banded together to get rid of the one person that didn't even know about the previous waterload. Sure, they'll lose a member of the overall team but it won't be a member of their own duo and they can come back with bigger numbers the next week to win to beat blue
    Last edited by Shady64; 02-06-2008 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady64;2785147;
    There are so less than kosher methods for not losing much one week and losing more the next as well. They've already waterloaded to throw one challenge, i'm not buying that they didn't do anything sneaky again. It's to suspect that the 4 people that lost the least weight banded together to get rid of the one person that didn't even know about the previous waterload. Sure, they'll lose a member of the overall team but it won't be a member of their own duo and they can come back with bigger numbers the next week to win to beat blue
    Oh, of course, you may be right about that! I read somewhere that they play a lot of tricks for that weekly and especially the final weigh-in. I cannot remember which finalist took laxatives (VERY bad idea) and avoided water for a couple of days in order to show maximum weight loss during the final. I think it was a female contestant. As things stand right now I doubt very much whether a female winner will ever be forthcoming given the relative ease with which guys lose weight.

Sara

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

I really don't have a problem with Jackie asking the original "black team" guys to swear on their kids that they wouldn't vote her or Dan out. If the guys didn't want to do it, they could have said "no". Why be all sneaky and say "we won't vote for you", then turn about and vote for them? I don't see the advantage.

Good for Jackie on her 70 pounds - looking good!
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Snoozin' on the beach

unless I missed something with all the interruptions, She didn't ask them to not vote her out. She asked them to tell her if they are going to vote her out.

If they said "no" she'd have known that she or Dan was going. If she knows it's her ahead of time, she's going to do anything to sway others to vote someone else besides her. She's a manipulator and they all know it. They took away her opportunity to target someone else in her place
    Last edited by Shady64; 02-06-2008 at 10:26 PM.

My theory for next week based solely on the previews is that all of members of the Blue team, except Dan and one person chosen to have a better percentage than Dan (so that Dan does not win immunity), throw the weigh in and gain a bunch of weight, which makes Bob storm out. I believe the Blue team is conspiring to dump Dan and in the meantime, bide their time against the Black team. As Black continues to lose more and more weight, they will have less and less weight to lose in the weeks ahead. Blue dumps Dan this upcoming week and secures their win for the following week by losing the massive weight they've previously added at the weigh-in. This would buy them another week before they would actually start losing any weight from two weeks prior (i.e., next week). Meanwhile Blue is shrinking so much that after a couple of weeks, their weight loss numbers will be really small and then they'll be eliminated one by one, by one.

The Blue team is dirty, dirty, dirty. I hope their plan backfires and Allison provides a fair twist to the game.
    Last edited by miadora; 02-07-2008 at 03:45 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast