+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 1/8 Show discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 1/8 Show discussion **Spoilers**

Yes, last night was a great show (despite here in New England we lost most of it to the NH Primary)....anyway we saw the seesaw challenge and then only the last two weigh ins and the elimination.

I heard Allison mention to Mallory that "eating those chocolates"....I missed this part...did Mallory indeed have chocolate candy?

And yes, I was surprised that Mallory said she was a Junior size 9 @ 189 lbs. I am wondering what she is doing in the Junior Dept.?

I think she said those jeans actually belonged to her daughter.

Mallory ate a paper cup of what looked like M&Ms during the "temptation" challenge. It amounted to 210 calories or something like that.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;2747092;
    And yes, I was surprised that Mallory said she was a Junior size 9 @ 189 lbs. I am wondering what she is doing in the Junior Dept.?
    And I am wondering why at 140lbs I cannot fit into a Jr size 9. I dropped my jaw when she said that..........I was like huh? I guess the sizes are different for different places.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I didn't hear the "junior" part, I just heard size 9. I assumed regular size 9.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I buy my jeans in the juniors department and I am smaller than Mallory. Let me tell you, there is NO way in hell that she is a size 9. She wouldn't even be able to get them above her hips, let alone button and zip them. I am a 12, sometimes a 14 depending on the brand. You look wonderful, why lie about your size??? Be proud of what you have accomplished
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by FlyAKite;2746585;
    C'mon !!! She is only fitting into size 9 pants if she is altering the tags in the pants ?!!

I weigh 165 lbs and I wear a size 16. She weighs more than me and is a size 9. No way !
    Sizing lesson for the day:
    I wear a size 16 and weigh 180, so weight is a poor indicator of one's, well, size!

There is really poor correlation between size and weight: You can be 6 feet tall and weigh 150 pounds and wear a size 6 (like my former sister in law) or your can be 5'3 and weigh 150 pounds and wear a size 12 (like me at that weight).

Then there is vanity sizing. The more expensive the item, the "smaller" the size on the label. So, a size 9 for Ralph Lauren is going to be VERY different than a size 9 Walmart brand label.

Finally, the fabric will make a difference into how much "cheating" one can do. Denim is a very sturdy fabric with very little give. Wool crepe, on the other hand, has a bit of a sponginess that is more forgiving and can allow a little bit of weight creep.

Do I believe she had on a pair of Size 9 pants? Yes I do. I wouldn't say they were the most flattering for her, but given how screwed up sizing is in the garment industry, I'm sure she was able to find a pair of Size 9 slacks.

I've heard that about designers. That if it's really expensive, the size is very small on the tag. I guess I'd better get another job so I can by expensive jeans that are a size 2...tee hee...
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2747108;
    Odd numbered sizes are "juniors." Even numbered are "misses." Petites usually have a "P" after either the junior sizing (rare) or misses sizing. Women's petites will have "WP".

Junior clothing is for teens and young women because they do not have fully developed figures--the curves of a woman, hence Combat's comment about the hips.

Misses clothing is for women who are 5'5" with developed figures

Petite clothing is a proportion, not a size. If I put on a misses dress, the bottom of the armhole will be below my bustline and the sleeves hang well below my fingertips.

And then there are half sizes, which no one seems to make anymore.

Why do I know all of this? I once had a close friend who was a fit expert for a major garment manufacturer who made house brands for Victoria Secret, Lane Bryant, etc.

And, because I sew and love to collect vintage sewing stuff and was amazed by the quality of patterns from 40+ years ago in terms of sizing.

And, I'm just kind of a geek that way...

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2747108;
    She didn't say "junior" per say. But she did say not to tell her teenage daughter they were her jeans she was wearing. So unless the daughter buys them in a different department, it is safe to say she meant a junior size 9
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2747094;

Mallory ate a paper cup of what looked like M&Ms during the "temptation" challenge. It amounted to 210 calories or something like that.
    Wow...that is all she ate and she gained a pound...!! That certainly is discouraging for her because she and Curtis were like only one of the maybe 3 or 4 couples that actually went to 100 in the seesaw challenge. Mallory appeared to me to be w/o really pretty intensely as well. That really was a bummer for her, the gain.

+ Reply to Thread