+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Some observations about the show....

  1. #1
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    66

    Some observations about the show....

    1) I think the premise of the show is a bit flawed in that they judge the thing based on how much weight someone has lost. I think it should be judged by body fat ratio. Most of these people have small muscles covered by massive globs of fat. Packing on some more muscle is actually healthy because it means you'll burn more fat during the day. But of course muscle weights more than fat so packing it one is bad for the show.

    2) Fat people aren't nicer than skinny people. I think this show indicates that. When you have a bunch of fat people who get upset about being judged or prejudiced against each other would act with some sort of moral highground, but there's none to be found. At how many eliminations was someone kept in the game because they had lost more weight? Rare if ever. People who get elminated are "threats" or people with certain shirt colors. It's kind of annoying when the host says "you're not the biggest loser" when in fact the scales show they are, or at least they're a bigger loser than someone who got to stay.

    3) I'm kind of shocked that when the team and blue team were dwindled down so that say Bryan, Neil etc were basically the only one's being trained, that they didn't do better. They have 100% of their personal trainers attention yet the results don't come. Bryan only lost 4 pounds when Kim only had him to train.

    4) Only Kim of the trainers is married, and just recently to some musclebound fellow. I wonder if being so anal about food makes them hard to get along with? Although I wouldn't be surprised if Bob and Jillian are homosexuals/bisexuals as Bob seems to have some feminine characteristics and Jillian kind of masculine. Jillian is apparently 33 and lives with her brother.
    In honour of the greatest fighter to ever come out of Novojoa Mexico... Luis Ramon "Yori Boy" Campas, former junior middleweight champion of the world.

  2. #2
    That's all folks! Unklescott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    26,558

    Re: Some observations about the show....

    Quote Originally Posted by Yory Boy;2716317;
    But of course muscle weights more than fat so packing it one is bad for the show.
    That's not true. A pound is a pound no matter what it's a pound of. Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead? Neither, they both weigh one pound.

  3. #3
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963

    Re: Some observations about the show....

    Quote Originally Posted by YoryBoy
    3) I'm kind of shocked that when the team and blue team were dwindled down so that say Bryan, Neil etc were basically the only one's being trained, that they didn't do better. They have 100% of their personal trainers attention yet the results don't come. Bryan only lost 4 pounds when Kim only had him to train.
    Ummm.. a body is a body and it is only going to lose so much. Working out more doesn't mean you're necessarily going to lose more... in fact many times it means that you're going to lose less because you're working TOO hard and not eating enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by YoryBoy
    Only Kim of the trainers is married, and just recently to some musclebound fellow. I wonder if being so anal about food makes them hard to get along with? Although I wouldn't be surprised if Bob and Jillian are homosexuals/bisexuals as Bob seems to have some feminine characteristics and Jillian kind of masculine. Jillian is apparently 33 and lives with her brother.
    Why does "eating healthy" equal "anal about food"? I haven't seen any of the trainers act anal about food. And what does their sexuality have to do with anything?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

  4. #4
    FORT Fanatic hikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    612

    Re: Some observations about the show....

    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2717071;
    That's not true. A pound is a pound no matter what it's a pound of. Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead? Neither, they both weigh one pound.
    I think maybe Yory means to say that muscle is more concentrated than fat--an equivilent amount of muscle is going to take up a much smaller area than the same weight in fat. Therefore, very fit people are likely to weigh more than an unfit, though not markedly obese person of similar height because of muscle density.

    Going strictly by weight, yes, a pound of each is the same, but it looks completely different on the human body.

  5. #5
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,571

    Re: Some observations about the show....

    1 lb of fat takes up 5 times as much space (volume) as a pound of muscle does.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  6. #6
    That's all folks! Unklescott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    26,558

    Re: Some observations about the show....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2719631;
    1 lb of fat takes up 5 times as much space (volume) as a pound of muscle does.
    I totally agree with that statement. Yes there is a difference between the volume of a pound of muscle and a pound of fat.

  7. #7
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,068

    Re: Some observations about the show....

    Maybe they should judge them on inches lost then!
    If it was just how much muscle you have women would always have a disadvantage in that they have 2 lumps of flesh with absolutely no muscle in them--and which they probably don't want to shrink all that much.... How's that for an unappetizing description? And yet, PG.

  8. #8
    the simple things babymay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,591

    Re: Some observations about the show....

    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2722721;
    I totally agree with that statement. Yes there is a difference between the volume of a pound of muscle and a pound of fat.
    I caught a bit on Beauty & the Geek this season that explained it well. Muscle is denser than fat.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

  9. #9
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    66

    Re: Some observations about the show....

    Quote Originally Posted by hikari;2718597;
    I think maybe Yory means to say that muscle is more concentrated than fat--an equivilent amount of muscle is going to take up a much smaller area than the same weight in fat. Therefore, very fit people are likely to weigh more than an unfit, though not markedly obese person of similar height because of muscle density.

    Going strictly by weight, yes, a pound of each is the same, but it looks completely different on the human body.
    Yeah, that's right (obviously). Sorry I wasn't clear originally!
    In honour of the greatest fighter to ever come out of Novojoa Mexico... Luis Ramon "Yori Boy" Campas, former junior middleweight champion of the world.

  10. #10
    FORT Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    66

    Re: Some observations about the show....

    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2717189;
    Ummm.. a body is a body and it is only going to lose so much. Working out more doesn't mean you're necessarily going to lose more... in fact many times it means that you're going to lose less because you're working TOO hard and not eating enough.



    Why does "eating healthy" equal "anal about food"? I haven't seen any of the trainers act anal about food. And what does their sexuality have to do with anything?
    I think they go beyond "eating healthy". They go nuts. Like body builders who set up their clocks to wake them up numerous times in the night to ingest more protein.
    In honour of the greatest fighter to ever come out of Novojoa Mexico... Luis Ramon "Yori Boy" Campas, former junior middleweight champion of the world.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.