+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 12/11 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: Biggest Loser 12/11 Recap: The Penultimate Disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by julker;2720845;
    Let's all understand that this show is edited in a way that will make everyone look like a douche from time to time. That being said, there were two "goodbyes" that are filmed each time someone leaves the show. One where everyone is allowed to get up and hug, etc the one leaving...and one ending where they're told to just sit there. The producers choose which one they want to show, and in this case because of time constraints they choose the much shorter goodbye. I'm sure that's why they cut Neil's return home as well...just not enough time. They could have easily done it, but they wanted to build towards the finale.

Were you on the show or part of the production at any time?

I am new to watching this show so I guess we will see everyone at that finale and they will be thinner than their after pics the night they were eliminated?

I agree about having all female and all male teams with two winners.

Re: 12/11 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2718005;
    Most have not lost any weight beyond what they lost at the ranch? Um... there hasn't been one person in the last couple of seasons that has not lost any weight at home. The smallest weight loss to date of any of this season's bootees has been the very last contestant booted and he had even lost 22 more pounds since his August boot.

I cannot imagine that Neil's follow up video had been filmed TOO recently or else people would be getting a good gauge of what he'll be like at next week's finale. These producers have been very, very good about not giving away the amazing shock value of the last show.

Bearcata.... Neil's eyebrows did look hilariously large. I think he needs to have a spa day. And his hair was looking noticeably Danny Zuko-ish.
    I really watched season 1 and 2 the rest viewing has been intermitent. But I have noticed that the earlier you are sent how the less you lose at home. Specifically the first 2 contestent in season 1. I think partially because you have only been at the ranch 2 weeks and have not gotten into serious exercise mode and have not gotten into cooking and eating right. That the majority of the contestents that were sent home early were able to maintain the weight loss for over 6 months does speak well for them though. The main point here is that being at the ranch for a period of time does get a contestent informed about eating right and how to exercise effectively and that really helps with the over all progress at home. I did notice that the contestents that are sent home after at least 4 weeks have the tools to continue their weight loss at home.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Biggest Loser 12/11 Recap: The Penultimate Disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by Oceansands;2718033;
    I have a hard time understanding why the women lose less weight than the men do. The men lose weight all over while the women still carry too much fat around the hips, stomach and thighs.. The women seem to be working out just as hard as the men, yet, have a hard time losing those inches. From past shows, very few women have lost a lot of weight around the hips, stomach and thighs, while most of the men are much thinner all over. All of them deserve credit for sticking to a weight loss program.

I was glad to see Neil was not in the final four. He should have been kicked off the show for the water loading. He tried to make the show all about him winning money. He seemed to lose track of what the show is all about. I've watched all the shows and Neil is the only person I've actually disliked.

Oh, Oceansands; I am going to have so much fun answering this question. The age old question of why men lose weight so much faster then women. The reason that some marriages and relationships break up. Why Joe Blow can lose his beer gut of 50lbs in 3 months just by quiting drinking while poor overworked Mrs. Blow can't lose her pregnancy weight and he starts calling her names such Moby Dick and comparing her to a beached whale to help inspire to lose weight, but instead crushes her spirit to eat even more until the one day she can not take it anymore and Mrs. Blow takes a basball bat to Joe's head. Ah...bliss.

reasons:

1. Biology: Men and women have about the same amount of muscle mass in their legs and men and women of the same height actually have comparable strength in their legs. However men have more muscle mass in their upper bodies than women do. The more muscle you have the more energy it takes to maintain it and therefore you need more food. The converse being that if you reduce your food/energy intake men will lose the weight faster because they burn the energy faster. This is also the reason why we weight train so the muscle mass is maintain and hopefully increased. One pound of muscle gained means that you need 50 extra calories to maintain it on a daily basis. If you can increase your muscle mass by 5 pounds you can eat 250 more calories a day or you can burn 250 more calories a day.

2. Biology: hormones. Yes they rear their ugly little heads. Estrogen does have a habit of holding on to fat for child rearing purposes. Also the fat is around the uterus and therefore there is a supply of food for the festus close by. I have noticed that while casting the women the casting directors have been picking very pears shaped women. Their faces are not terribly "bloated"/"fat" because of the weight they are and they do not have have that much upper body fat but tons in the hip and thigh area. When you see these pear shaped contestents lose weight you see it in the face and upper body a bit but notice how the cameras don't go below the belly, so the 30 or 40 lbs show in the face and upper body but not in the hips and thighs. Heck Isabeau looks great above the waist and its not until weight in until you notice how much she is still carrying in her gut. Men do tend to carry their weight in the face (jowls) and upper body. Yes, women can carry the weight in the upper body but not too many have been cast in the last 2 seasons. There are also men who carry their weight in the hips and thighs like many women do, but I have not seen too many of the show. Long and short after menopause many women gain weight in the gut and face like men.

Also Kai carried her weight overall as opposed to Hollie, Amy, Isabeau and Julie who all seem to be all pear shaped. If you had a before and after pic of Kai next to one of the men you could see a similiar weight loss pattern as opposed to Kai and the other women.

People also inherit tendencies to store fat in different patterns. So they lose it from different areas differently. Isn't mother nature grand?

Another point for women is that we tend to bloat and hold on the water every 28 days or so and gain anywhere to 3 to 5 lbs. This is very discouraging and many women also get a sweet tooth at this time (chocolate actually tastes very, very good at this time) and do indulge. Again making it hard to lose weight

Conclusion: Less muscle mass and hormones make it harder to lose wieght for women.

3. There is also a theory Dr Ian Smith uses in the his second Fat Smash book were he proposes that some people are hard losers, medium losers and easy losers depending on the individuals metabolism. Hard losers have to stick to their diets and exercise routines to even acheive their weekly goals. Medium losers can occasionally deviate from the food plan and exercise routine but if they stick to it 80% of the time they will lose weight. Easy losers we all hate and wish we were, can lose the weight easily and if they binge and gain 10 lbs so what, they hop back on the food and exercise plan and bang the 10 lbs drops off.

Hope any of that answers your question.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Bearcata.... Very well written and accurate post! Muscle composition is certainly the greatest differential between men and women.

And I had to laugh at
    The age old question of why men lose weight so much faster then women. The reason that some marriages and relationships break up. Why Joe Blow can lose his beer gut of 50lbs in 3 months just by quiting drinking while poor overworked Mrs. Blow can't lose her pregnancy weight and he starts calling her names such Moby Dick and comparing her to a beached whale to help inspire to lose weight, but instead crushes her spirit to eat even more until the one day she can not take it anymore and Mrs. Blow takes a basball bat to Joe's head. Ah...bliss.
    Too funny!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

And so true!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456