+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some questions

Re: Some questions

While I understand that litigation considerations and "don't do this at home" may have led the show producers to smudge over the details of this staggering weight loss, it would be especially helpful to the audience if things were more explicit. After all, this is supposed to be a motivational show. If you don't let the audience know that these people exercise up to five hours a day, if you don't stress that they are monitored all the time by doctors, actually show these doctors, especially during the two-hour shows that otherwise are plagued by fillers, then you are defeating the purpose. One thing that is not said, for example, is that while they do high-impact aerobic exercise, they also spend time on the fat-burning, low-impact zone. Yes, boring, but they should actually say it. Or they may be creating a lot of disappointed dieters out there who may try hard but not see these results, then may give up.

Not to mention that when the same trainers are working with the public online, they only offer them the option to lose 1-2 pounds a week, same as everywhere else. They could offer choices and explain how people could go even faster.

Sara

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2719014;
    It's always nice to see someone going through the same struggle as you. I completely understand.
    There is definately comfort with others who are in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2718745;
    They also just had a baby this year, too.

Heh... If I hadn't gotten called away to do work (*gasp*) then we would have made the same comment at the same time.

Would you tune in for 14 weeks to see people lose 20lbs?
    Celebrity Fit Club on VH1. 5 seasons now and there will be 6th hopefully this spring. The diet is 100 days long and they do expect you to lose 1 -2 lbs a week except for the first 10 days or so when you do a detox diet and can lose anywhere from 6 -14 lbs. Contestents also do the diet and excercise while also doing what they normally do. The fun part is the diva personalities.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fan

Most people who need to lose a lot of weight want to do it quickly. When I was faced with needing to lose 160 lbs, I know I spent time calculating how long it would take me at 1-2 lbs per week. It was so overwhelming, I almost didn't start. I never really watched this show until this season and that's mostly because I knew I would find it highly de-motivating to see people taking off so much weight so quickly. I personally don't find the show all that inspirational for someone with a lot of weight to lose because it creates a false picture for losing weight in the real world. What you have to get your arms around (and it took me almost a year to do this) is that all of the changes you're making in how you eat and getting proper exercise are permanent. If they aren't, you'll gain it back.

The other big problem I have with the show is that they put all of the focus on the exercise. It's dramatic to show these big people sweating and struggling to lift weights and run faster. That makes for good TV. But eating right is more than half of what is needed to produce weight loss. Some studies have said as much as 80% of weight loss comes from how you eat and only 20% comes from the exercise you do. So why don't they give us more about how to eat - and I'm talking about more than just the stupid product placement segments or Kim going balistic over soy sauce.

Now that I've lost close to 130 lbs, I'd love to see them spend some time with how to stay motivated and take off that last 20-30 lbs. Most of those weighing in at the finale seem to be right where I am now - still needing to lose 20-30 lbs. Yes, I look great, but I want to go the distance, and I'd love to hear them talk some about how to get rid of that last bit of weight.

Marilyn

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2719644;
    Celebrity Fit Club on VH1. 5 seasons now and there will be 6th hopefully this spring. The diet is 100 days long and they do expect you to lose 1 -2 lbs a week except for the first 10 days or so when you do a detox diet and can lose anywhere from 6 -14 lbs. Contestents also do the diet and excercise while also doing what they normally do. The fun part is the diva personalities.
    And therein lies the difference between these two shows. I won't/can't sit and watch Celebrity Fit Club and thank God that they aren't 14 episodes each. I don't find anything remotely motivating about their struggles and haven't learned anything from the shows other than "how not to act like a diva idiot" a la Angie Stone (I just caught her big temper tantrum episode again the other day.) That's the only thing I think that show has really been good for... seeing the celebrity personalities.

And yes, it would be nice to see a show where they talk about how to lose those last few pounds. But that isn't the premise of this show and I wish people would stop putting their own expectations on a show that never intended to be a definitive weight loss how-to program. It's like watching Beverly Hills 90210 and being upset that they didn't teach you how to pass your SATs. Or, watching Dancing with the Stars and complaining that you weren't able to perfect the Foxtrot.

But Marilyn.... a huge CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss! That's awesome!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2720403;
    And yes, it would be nice to see a show where they talk about how to lose those last few pounds. But that isn't the premise of this show and I wish people would stop putting their own expectations on a show that never intended to be a definitive weight loss how-to program. It's like watching Beverly Hills 90210 and being upset that they didn't teach you how to pass your SATs. Or, watching Dancing with the Stars and complaining that you weren't able to perfect the Foxtrot.

Thanks, Broadway!

I agree with you for the most part, but the show does at least pretend to be a show about weight loss, so they could throw out a bit more for the real world without taking away from their primary objective of creating drama.

Hey, Marilyn, this is great! Wonderful! Way to go! How long did it take you do achieve this?

And I agree with you that a significant segment on how to lose the last few pounds would be of great value to the rest of us.

Sheila

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Hey, Marilyn--congrats indeed!!! I know exactly what you mean, about thinking about 1-2lbs a week...there are only 52 weeks in a year...and you can see on TBL that when you have that much to lose 52 lbs. doesn't even show that much on the women. Did it really take you 2-3 years? A++ for endurance. On your last 30 lbs., is maybe some of that excess skin that hasn't shrunk back after such a huge (TBL level!!!) weight loss? I would think you could fairly chalk up at least 5 lbs. to that! In fact on TBL I always wonder why that isn't more of an issue for the contestants, with chafing, etc., since they lose it SO fast there's no way the body can keep up. Wish they would discuss that.

My big complaint about this show is they don't tell you the heights. 300 lbs. on a 5'9" guy is very different than 300 lbs. on a 6'4" guy. Now and then someone on FORT says that so and so is 5'2" or something, but I don't know how anyone finds out. Maybe next season the mod could post heights for all the contestants, so you'd know more easily with whom to compare yourself (which is what a lot of the audience is doing).

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2720403;

My congratulations also.

I am a prime example of working out but not losing weight. My trainer is the first to say losing weight is 80% diet that you stick to and yes have your "cheat" days. Yes, exercise helps to lose the fat and maintain muscle. I do my cardio and strength and consider myself "fit fat". There are a lot of studies that show even if you are "fat" you still need to exercise and may be healthier than "skinny" people who never work out. The point overall is the body regardless of the size functions better when it moves regularly. I know if I have never started I honestly do not think I would be able to walk very well now and I don't even want to think about how painfull my back would be now if I did not strenghten it.

Also the point of the shows is first entertain us and second to hopefully inspire us. I like Celebrity Fit Club because most people have to balance eating right and exercise with what ever else is going on in your life and believe me I have made all the excuses to myself that I hear Fit Clubbers try to snake pass the judges. If you are going to lose weight you have to be honest with yourself and yes the hardest part is the length of time. I didn't get here overnight and I cannot expect to lose it overnight. But at least I am not going to behave as badly as some of the celebrities. CFC also shows how destructive the entertainment business can be with alcohol and drug addictions and it is sad to see people like Alec Baldwin (right brother?) and Jeff Conaway totally fall apart and they do have a much tougher road to travel than I do. If nothing else CFC reminds me not to be down on myself and success is good and thank God I do not have their problems and demonstrate them is such a public forum.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 12-16-2007 at 05:57 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Daniel Baldwin.

PWS.... the mods don't know the heights of these contestants any more than you or I do. If they were on the Biggest Loser website, they'd be here. The only reason we've been able to pick up on some of the heights is if we see it posted somewhere else, hear it on the tv, or a friend of one of them pops along.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast