+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some questions

FORT Regular

Re: Some questions

If I were morbidly obese I'd love to go on the show. Personal trainers are $80 an hour in these parts!
    In honour of the greatest fighter to ever come out of Novojoa Mexico... Luis Ramon "Yori Boy" Campas, former junior middleweight champion of the world.

FORT Fogey

I definitely considered getting my niece to go on with me...but unfortunately she was in the middle of a divorce, and dealing with a move and care for her daughter...maybe next time they do a pairs show!

FORT Regular

Ha, sounds like a bit of a sensitive subject. I think I'd get slapped if I told a chick she should go on the show!
    In honour of the greatest fighter to ever come out of Novojoa Mexico... Luis Ramon "Yori Boy" Campas, former junior middleweight champion of the world.

FORT Fogey

I haven't watched before this season and I only jumped in half way through.

I am astounded at the rapid weight loss and alarmed at the amount of exercise they do! I am also humbled because I have been "trying" to lose 20 pounds for a year. This show has motivated me, that is for sure, as I slink away with my tail between my legs.

Okay, my questions. Has a woman ever won? It appears to be impossible from what I have observed.

There is a huge disparity in their weights when they begin. Do they compensate for this in anyway? A 400 pound man is going to lose a higher percent of his body than a woman weighing in at 220.

Shoepie,

Yes, the weight loss numbers are pretty staggering. These people lose in three months what might take a year out in "Real World" where we live. Of course, their only occupation is to exercise. They do not have to worry about sitting at a desk at work, cooking for picky children, or being surrounded by fast food joints, holiday parties and other opportunities to overeat. A loss of 1-2 pounds per week under normal circumstances is what's recommended for optimal health and maintenance. Yes, it's discouraging that a BL contestant drops 10 pounds in a week, when you've been struggling for 2 months to lose that much--but they are under stringently monitored circumstances.

I'm frankly shocked, too, that we haven't had more medical emergencies with these heretofore inactive 300- and 400-pound folks. Considering that none of them are accustomed to even easy exercise upon arrival, and some of them are diabetics, and they are working out in a desert, I'm surprised that collapses are not more common. I am a little concerned that folks watching at home might try to emulate these results without having the proper medical support . . .even though it is a commonplace sight on BL, it really is NOT normal, or inevitable, to work out until you vomit.

No, a woman has never won in three seasons to date, although they have come in second. Looks like that pattern will repeat this year. Isabeau was a couple pounds shy of 300 & that's bigger than any other woman has ever been. She could have been a contender, but I don't think at this point she will be able to top Bill. Unless Bill completely falls apart (not likely), I think he will win.

Actually the body-fat percentages are used to level the playing field for the smaller players. A 400-pound man who loses 200 pounds, and a 220-pound woman who loses 110 pounds will have lost the exact same percentage. In this scenario, if the girl managed to drop 111 pounds, she would actually top him for percentage lost. Theoretically.

In past seasons, the contestants have not been as big as this year, with less of a disparity between the genders, and the women have posted weight-losses more even with the men's. In Season 2, I think Suzie missed the top by 2 measly pounds. She wound up marrying the winner, so the win was kept in the family . . .but that's how little it takes.

This year in particular, the difference between the genders has been more stark--it seems inconceivable that a man who had set a record for weight-loss at 130 pounds would, or should, be eliminated in favor of two women who have lost 50 & 60 pounds--less than half. But according to percentages, this is how it has worked out.

It would be most equitable to both genders to have a male and female winner. Weight loss is a complex process and metabolisms vary wildly. The women will always feel inferior in a weight-loss competition with men, and will probably always lose, because they start out smaller, with bodies that drop weight much more slowly even under the best of conditions.

FORT Fogey

hikari, thank you for your in depth response. I appreciate it.

How cool that the top two got married one year. Very sweet!

It would be interesting to see gender specific competitons and have them closer in weight at the start. They could have a womens team and mens team in one show if they could swing the budget to include two winners.

Personally I would like to see people who have much less weight to lose do this and watch how long it took to lose 20 pounds! Self serving request but hey. Off to take a damn walk now. grumble

Quote Originally Posted by hikari;2718579;
    This year in particular, the difference between the genders has been more stark--it seems inconceivable that a man who had set a record for weight-loss at 130 pounds would, or should, be eliminated in favor of two women who have lost 50 & 60 pounds--less than half. But according to percentages, this is how it has worked out.
    We'll give Neil his credit.... he got booted from the show after having lost 143lbs... even better than 130.

The only thing that they could do for this show that would completely level the playing field (considering that a man's body makeup has more muscle) would be to have men vs men and women vs women and have two winners. But that's not going to happen so this is the best way they can do it while still keeping it simple. If you start entering in body fat composition then it's not something quick and easy that the viewer at home can relate to and it's just not going to work.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;2718724;
    How cool that the top two got married one year. Very sweet!
    They also just had a baby this year, too.

It would be interesting to see gender specific competitons and have them closer in weight at the start. They could have a womens team and mens team in one show if they could swing the budget to include two winners.
    Heh... If I hadn't gotten called away to do work (*gasp*) then we would have made the same comment at the same time.

Personally I would like to see people who have much less weight to lose do this and watch how long it took to lose 20 pounds! Self serving request but hey. Off to take a damn walk now. grumble
    Would you tune in for 14 weeks to see people lose 20lbs?

FORT Fogey

Would you tune in for 14 weeks to see people lose 20lbs?

Well, ya got me there, no. How about 50 pounds, I am willing to negotiate.

Actually I would like to see a two hour special to lose 20 pounds. And they all do it in 4 weeks only walking for exercise. I know, I know, take the needle out of your arm shoepie.

It's always nice to see someone going through the same struggle as you. I completely understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast