+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bill Germanakos - Season 4

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Bill Germanakos - Season 4

Bill Germanakos
    Hometown: Long Island, New York

Bill’s father was only 57-years-old when he died of a heart attack and at that moment, Bill knew he had to wake up and start taking responsibility for his own health. Not only does Bill want to lose the weight to live a longer life, but he wants to be more desirable for his wife, Stephanie. Bill has always had a big personality, even being a lead singer of a heavy metal hair band at one time. But, now he wants to have that big personality with a slimmer body. With the help of Bill’s brother, Jim, who is also on the show, Bill knows he can reach his goals.

Last edited by Jewelsy; 09-12-2007 at 11:58 PM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Bill Germanakos - Season 4

Hard to believe a guy with that haircut was ever in a heavy metal "hair" band! :

FORT Newbie

I met Bill over the weekend. Very nice guy. He is in LA for the weigh in. Here are some inside pieces of info:

The weigh in was Sunday morning taped for telecast Tuesday. Bill said that he planned to dehydrate all night, fast until it was over, and then have a big breakfast afterwards.

Bill has lost over 160#. He spent the last few weeks doing Bikram yoga (hot room yoga; where I ran into him at a 4:00 class on Saturday) and swimming and doing cardio in the gym about 4-6 hours a day every day. No lifting because he doesn't want to put on more weight (muscle) before the finals. His diet has been almost all protein and greens, no carbs.

The things we did not see on TV include their incredible workout schedules. They spent an average of 4-5 hours per day mandatory in the gym. Plus the challenges. If they wanted to, they also could access the gym on free time. Bill said he was doing a lot of extra work, even though some of the others were telling him he was going to overtrain. He figured (correctly) that if he poured on the work he would never have to face elimination. He also said they had a lot of injuries not shown on tv. He blew out the cartilage in a knee, Neil broke his foot. That's why they did not do running challenges after the first few weeks. They had full time medical staff and also a sports trainer (like sports teams have) to handle all the orthopedic injuries. He also said that there was quite a bit of interpersonal friction, none of which made it on the screen.

Re: 12/11 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

, not! The 4-5 hours a day in the gym are no surprise... they've all been talking about that since Season One. The existing injuries are interesting and I wish they'd show more of that so people can understand the risks. Just another "non-glamourous" aspect of a rigorous weight loss program.

160# would put Bill at 174lbs! 47.90% weight loss.

Isabeau would have to have lost an additional 62lbs at home to hit 47.98

Julie would have to lose 104lbs total (an additional 46lbs to get to 114lbs.) Not likely.

Hollie would have to lose 122lbs (an additional 71lbs at home. Bah)

Good luck to Bill!
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

I agree with the disgust that is inbetween the lines of Bill winning this competition. It is not a level playing field. It is set up for a big fat, fat big man to win it all.

This is my first season and I tuned in to become inspired to lose 20 pounds. I am not sure if it is inspiring. It is frickin nuts, thats what this is. 4 to 5 hours of training a day, pffffffffft!

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;2727284;
    I agree with the disgust that is inbetween the lines of Bill winning this competition.
    I don't think there's any disgust here if Bill wins. Most people here all like Bill.. and I happen to prefer him over any of the women.

To each their own.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2727291;
    I don't think there's any disgust here if Bill wins. Most people here all like Bill.. and I happen to prefer him over any of the women.

To each their own.
    I may have picked up incorrectly. I thought I read some negative things about him and the black team in general. I tuned in half way through and really didnt get to know anyone. I also just started reading these threads.

Maybe I am just irritated that men lose so quickly! My husband decided that he needed to shave off a few pounds so he cut out French Fries and donuts and BAM, 10 pounds in less than two weeks. He is done. That is all he wanted to lose.

Dehydrating. Fasting. No carbs. 4-5 hour per day "mandatory" workouts. Injuries. Interpersonal friction. Wow.

I just have to keep reminding myself that this is (a) entertainment and (b) a competition and not a "how to" show for healthy weight loss for the rest of us.

There was a full page ad by the milk people in today's USA Today featuring Bill.

Last edited by Unklescott; 12-19-2007 at 09:01 PM.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

He looks fabulous in that picture!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread