+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pears vs. Apples

Pears vs. Apples

No, this is not a caloric challenge!

You may have heard of "apple" vs "pear" body shapes. This is most often applied to women. I have noticed over three seasons of this show, that all the female contestants have been "pear" shaped--that is, they carry the bulk their weight below the waist in their hips and legs. Not only does this body type tend to drop weight faster, but they get a 'cut' waistline very much sooner, as I noticed on all the ladies at last night's weigh-in.

I'm an apple, which tends to carry weight in the middle. Most of the 30 pounds I need to lose is located in my gut, while my legs, hips & butt are relatively smaller. I'm in fact a size bigger on tip than on the bottom. Abdominal fat is the hardest to get rid of, and I've been struggling with the same 5 pounds for years. Just wondering where all the female apples are on this show.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    That's a great observation - I even thought that of Suzy last year - they look so tiny on the top, but have a ton of "junk in the trunk"

My name is Mary Beth and I'm an apple

I'm an apple too. And I have a lot more than 5 lbs. hanging out in my gut! Funny thing is I was always skinny until about 6 years after my son was born. Then it just started creeping on until it's horrifying to look at. Eeeek!

I'm an apple. I gave birth to 2 kids, 11 months apart and never ever got rid of the skin/fat around the middle. 14 years and still there!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Can one be both???

I think I probably started out as a pear but am now more of an apple. The last time I bought some new pants, I could get them up my legs and around my butt fine. I just couldn't get them over the gut!

My older two are 22 months apart and I had lost all the weight I had gained with my first pregnancy before getting pregnant with my second child. But even though I was back at my pre-pregnancy weight, I never lost that gut above my "bikini cut" scar

Eight years later, I weighed 30 lbs more at the start of my third pregnancy than I did my first two. When I went back to my doc for my 6-week checkup, I had lost all of my pregnancy weight....which thrilled me so much.

My older two are now in their 20's and the "baby" is now almost 16. I can't even type how much more I weigh now. When I think how much I weighed when my last child was born.....and how much I way now.....it is totally depressing. When I was 9 months pregnant, I would never even attempt to lug around a 50-lb bag of dog food. Well, what I weigh now is like I am 9 months pregnant and lugging around at least a 50-lb bag of dog food twentyfour/seven!

I know that my metabolism has slowed down a lot and there has been a lot of added stress in my life. Plus being menopausal isn't helping! (That's why I am posting so late....insomnia!)

This show is such an inspiration. Now I just have to get off my butt and do something about it!

I think of myself more as a grapefruit so I guess I'd fit in the apple category. . Actually is I could lose only from my waist to my knees, I'd be happy. Why is it that the weight just falls off of my haggard face and neck but stays firmly put on my hips and stomach?

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2136330;
    I think of myself more as a grapefruit so I guess I'd fit in the apple category. . Actually is I could lose only from my waist to my knees, I'd be happy. Why is it that the weight just falls off of my haggard face and neck but stays firmly put on my hips and stomach?
    lol Muduh. It stays there because it's comfortable and wants to keep you warm! That's what doctors seem to think anyway...hee hee
    In the last two years or so I've noticed the saddle around my middle upon looking in the mirror and checking out my back!! hahaha Fun stuff!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread