+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 11/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Damn you, blue team, for voting off my eye candy! I hope they do a follow-up show with the booted contestants - I want to see the *new* Aaron.

God, Caroline Rhea looks like utter hell. It's depressing to just have to look at her - at least comb your hair, lady. Where's Kathy Griffin when you need her?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Jealous, anyone?

It seemed to me that Andrea and the others were jealous of Aaron's success. I won't say that the others aren't working hard, because I think they really are. But for whatever reason, Aaron was kicking the most ass. And for that, he gets booted? Andrea just can't lose more than 7 or 8 lbs a week, neither can the other woman, the older fella is hobbling on a bad knee, and big Mo is just not getting the results he needs. I guess he's so out of shape, he's just trying to get in good enough shape to exercise.

I liked Matt more in this episode, since we were given a couple of minutes focusing just on him and the Red Trainer. It made me care more about him. I told my wife before the weigh in, "Geez his face looks thinner" You could tell he had dropped a lot.

Let's hope they start using the bodyfat %s to shake things up soon, and give us a more complete picture of everyone's progress, including muscle gain.

I think what bothers me the most about the host, Caroline Rhea, it's the squirrel cheeks. Well, maybe they are chipmunk cheeks or hamster cheeks. Should we have a vote??

P.S. The hair has got to go.

No question the boots so far have been all about jealousy. There seems to be a weird propensity for kicking off the thinner contestants, which doesn't jive with the spirit of the show - unless the "biggest" loser means the heaviest, rather than the one that loses the most amount of weight.

Shouldn't they give *immunity* to the person on the losing team who has lost the most weight?

Also, am I the only one who's horrified at the rapid weight loss of the contestants? Seven or eight pounds a week is a LOT, even for people who are very overweight.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Well, if you have a bunch of folks who are all over 200 lbs and probably the women are eating over 2000 calories a day the men probably 3000, Maurice 4000, and you cut that down to 1200 to 1500 for the woman and 1600 to 1800 for the man. For the women that is 500 calaroies a day times 7 = 3500 calories which equals a pound. Then its the exercise, since they look as if they have never execised before lets say they are burning 300 calories and hour time 3 or 4 hour of exercise a day that is 900 to 1200 calories burned a day. Times 7 = 6300 to 8400 for the week. 2 to 3 pounds a week. Then the first week count the water 5 to 6 pounds of it. Then later the metabolism starts to reve up and you are loosing 5 to 7 pounds a week. If they are building any muscle the metabolism again goes up and they burn more.

The thing is who is going to exercise 3 to 4 hours a day everyday and stick to a diet that closely for over 70 days when they have never done that before.

One good thing about this show is that they mentioned they are wearing heart monitors. At least that makes sense. That they are monitoring these peoples heart rates.

FORT Fogey
    Well, it looks like we're all on board that Caroline's hair was a complete and utter atrocity!

I'm having a weird love/hate relationship with this show. On the one hand, I like that they are showing people some of the facts of losing weight... like plateaus, and that weight loss is not steady. But on the other hand, I find it can be exploitative. For example, the necessity of taking off shirts to be weighed and some of the lame competitions and temptations.

I also agree with AJANE that losing that kind of weight that quickly can be dangerous. Even for people that heavy. Even if the person is working out hard, the body goes into a state of ketosis, that is, "ketones" are released into the blood. Ketones are produced when there isn't enough sugars in the blood. The problem with this is that ketones are really acidic and cause the blood to become acidic as well.
    There are varying opinions on whether ketosis is a "safe" condition. Doctors quite often argue that it is not, while others (particularly those who support Atkins) will argue that it is. Personally, I think abnormally high levels of ketones in the body can't be good for you, because it's not an ideal state for the body to be in.
    Gradual weight loss is safer, but not nearly as dramatic as necessary to have a tv show.
    Sorry. I'm a

Quote Originally Posted by toque
    There are varying opinions on whether ketosis is a "safe" condition. Doctors quite often argue that it is not, while others (particularly those who support Atkins) will argue that it is. Personally, I think abnormally high levels of ketones in the body can't be good for you, because it's not an ideal state for the body to be in.
    I thought it was the other way around.

At any rate was anyone besides me cheering on the teams when they were performing. I was clapping and screaming like an adoring mom seeing her kids on stage.

That was so adorable!

Heh, I'd rather stare at Caroline even if she had bad hair in every episode before having to keep watching the hideously demonic smirk of that jackass jerk, Ryan. Why is it that the guys I hate almost always end up staying till real late in the game? Someone please get smart and boot that cruel biznitch all the way back to obnoxious camp with Rob Mariano! :phhht

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by TellTaleOrange
    I thought it was the other way around.

Perhaps I didn't word that very well. The Atkins diet will make the body go into a state of Ketosis, and it's supporters will claim that ketosis is safe. Doctors are less like to feel it is safe, and quite often advise a gradual weight loss, rather than Atkins.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    No question the boots so far have been all about jealousy.

That certainly explains at least part of the reason why Aaron was kicked off, but the first two completely deserved what they got.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast