+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 10/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Pretty interesting show. I didn't get to see the whole thing but what i saw I found interesting. I do wish they didn't have to vote people off, and just tracked weight, attitude and votes for people on various things to determine the winner.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I don't like the voting off part either, I think they should all get the chance to change their lives. Maybe only one team getting the money or winning vacation packages or whatever, but I'd like it a lot more if I got to see everyone go through this. (much more inspiring)

But of course I'll watch anyway I even watched the Spanish station's version of the Bachelorette for gods sake.
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerLVNV
    I don't like the voting off part either, I think they should all get the chance to change their lives. Maybe only one team getting the money or winning vacation packages or whatever, but I'd like it a lot more if I got to see everyone go through this. (much more inspiring)
    I've never watched Survivor or any show where the contestants got to vote each other "off", so this is my first exposure.

I'm on the fence about this issue:

On the one hand, it is unfair that all the contestants don't get a chance to participate to the end. That's the Rose-colored Glasses Attitude.

However, the trainer is not living with these people 24/7, so she/he only sees the 'client' portion of them. The contestants, on the other hand, will see and notice who is or is not pulling their own weight on the show, and are the best qualified to decide who stays and goes.

When you compare the people who are in the 300+ range, to the people like Dana, who was only 165 pounds (I think), the lightweights need more toning than actual weight loss. My God, even the full-figure model on Next Top Model is 180 pounds and she's fit and tone.

This is only the first show, when everyone wanted to try their hardest. In ensuing shows, we'll see who begins to slide and back pedal; why should a team carry someone who loses faith? This way, they get to cut the dead weight of their group and show the largest weight loss, which IS the premise of the show.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    This is a compelling show. I find myself liking everyone of the contestants. I'm glad to see that Dana did well for herself in the end and lost 15 lbs. I wish them all the best.

How funny is Matt? That face he made after he moaned about working out for 5 hours was priceless.

It saddens me a bit that they made this an elimination show.

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingsongbird
    I really don't like the voting off factor. I watched the Discovery Health channel's Celebrity Weight Loss Challenge and I liked getting to see everybody progress from beginning to end. I also think it's mean to torture them over and over with temptation. The opening sequence got the point across about what they shouldn't eat.
    I thought that too at first. But when they get out of this, they'll be faced with that same temptation day-in and day-out. It's a part of life they're going to have to deal with anyway. So in a way, it's kind of beneficial in the long-run (IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    I thought that too at first. But when they get out of this, they'll be faced with that same temptation day-in and day-out. It's a part of life they're going to have to deal with anyway. So in a way, it's kind of beneficial in the long-run (IMO).
    At least they're not making the contestants look at donuts and then giving them electric shocks when they see them! Ouch!

Compulsive over-eating is akin to alcoholism: it's omnipresent in our society. How many people who've gone to Hazelton or some other clinic to dry out have relapsed the second that they're released.

Both my ex and his brother were alcoholics (ex died from alcoholism); his brother was actually kicked out of Hazelton because he'd drink while he was there!

If these contestants can't face temptation when they're supervised, they'll slip right back into Donut Mode when the show is over.

This is Tough Love at it's toughest.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

The parts of the show I watched - I didn't like. I also don't like the fact that you can't lose weight that fast without stretch marks and drooping skin. If you've ever seen someone who has that, it's not pretty. Don't get me wrong, getting that weight off is #1 but I think it shouldn't be done in this way (TOO fast).

FORT Fan
    I really liked this show and have to say I bet Aaron turns out to be quite the cutie when he is through.
    I do have one gripe though-it is not fair to have really obese people like Maurice competing against women who don't have that much to lose.
    Like Dana wanted to lose 30 pounds-when you don't have that many pounds to lose you are not going to lose that much every week no way.
    But Maurice could lose a couple of hundred pounds so he is going to be able to lose 10 a week easily without doing that much I bet.
    How can anyone really be competing against someone with that much to lose. It doesn't seem fair.
    But---I like the show and I am hooked.
    I thought the Blue trainer guy was great as well. The red trainer-she might inspire me to get in shape so I could beat her up at the end.

I came in halfway through, shortly before they had their weigh-in. That weigh-in was like something from one of my nightmares. It made me think of cattle being brought in to be weighed. Yeesh.

Caroline Rhea looks like she's dropped a few pounds herself...good for her. Her face looks kinda hagged out to me, though.

I guess I'll watch this one again, it's on late enough here so that I catch most of it when I come home from work. They MUST get rid of those fridges with the contestants' names on them, though...that's just unspeakably tacky.

And Aaron is pretty durned cute (looks a little like Eddie Cahill)...he looks fine to me the way he is now.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by luvclayseyes
    I thought the Blue trainer guy was great as well. The red trainer-she might inspire me to get in shape so I could beat her up at the end.
    I think that it's a nice twist of the show to show two completely different training techniques and two different dieting philosophies.

I know that I'm completely in the minority HERE, but I liked the Red Trainer...a lot! And you have to remember: The Red Team had the 5 pound bag of lard handicapping them and they still WON!
    A friend and I both wanted to tone up so we went to the local gym to hire a personal fitness coach. The first one that we got, Angelo, was an ex-Marine and ran you like you were in the service. THAT is the one that I stuck with. Kristen, my friend, absolutely HATED Angelo and each week, she did more and more things to defy him (parental issues, anyone?), so that it became ridiculous for her to show up. WHY, Kristen, eat badly and refuse to train outside of class to spite your trainer?

But, it simply was that she didn't respond to his method of teaching. She finally quit Angelo after a month and got a different trainer; one, in my opinion, who coddled Kristen. However, Kristen liked the Good Mommy Coach rather than the Stern Daddy approach and showed up regularly for class...to have Good Mommy give her approval.

In the end, I did far better than Kristen, losing more weight and toning up more, but, she was happy with the results she got and she liked how her Good Mommy Coach would let her 'slide' during the holidays and special occasions.

It boils down to, what best suites YOUR personality and how fast do you want to accomplish your goals?

When I want to accomplish something, give me the Field Marshal approach any day! If I want to be cut some slack, I'll hang out with my friends.

+ Reply to Thread