+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Biggest Loser

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Bunny
    They should also be doing blood tests to make sure they aren't damaging their immune system or getting anemic and cardiovascular tests to make sure they aren't damaging their cardiovascular system (i.e. are staying in shape). They should be doing urine tests to make sure they are properly hydrated, etc.
    I worry about the people being compelled to exercise to the point of vomiting. I'm on my own little exercise program now, and I wear a heart-rate monitor to keep to my target zone [ (220 - AGE) x 0.7 = 70% of my max drop-dead heart-rate]. A person is NEVER to go over 85% unless they are a super-trained athlete with a doctor standing next to them, and even then only very briefly. 70% isn't even that out of breath. When you get to the point of gasping for breath, most likely you've gone too far. If you start to feel ill while exercising, something is wrong. I worry that people will not pay attention to their bodies with that sort of pushing.

Who knows? Maybe they have a cardiologist standing just outside the camera shot to keep things safe. I hope so.

FORT Fogey
    I think it's only a matter of time before the more successful dieters start getting voted off. Think about it- one guy might lose 60 pounds during the first three weeks and rest may start thinking that they need to get rid of him if they want a shot at the $250,000.

...I really hope I'm wrong. This is one reality show that does not need alliances, politics or scheming.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by getreal
    It sounded like the cash prize was an added bonus that the contestants didn't know about when they signed up. Added incentive.
    Also, having a degree in psychology, I can understand the idea of tempting the contestants from the start with their favorite bad foods. As a method of behavior modification, there is a technique called "systematic desensitization". In this case, they could be trying to desensitize the contestants to the foods, removing the temptation aspect from them. Of course, in the earliest stages of the competition, the foods are still tempting to them.

Then again, I could be wrong and it may just be an evil plot by the producers. But I doubt it in this case.

The thing I don't like, though, is the corny th obvious and cruel plays on words. e.g., "big loser" ... "it's time to cut the fat" ... "which one of you is weighing down the rest of your team?" ... after people tried their hardest to do something very difficult for themselves. That is called "negative reinforcement". I would expect this sort of thing to cause such dejection and humiliation for the outcast that they would resort to eating as they have done for years as their form of comfort and solace -- which is how they got into the shape they are! I hope the show has a good follow-up/after-care program to assist the contestants in maintaining their regimen.

BTW, DangerBunny ... nice avatar. Where'd you find it?
    Maybe they are desensitizing them to the crummy comments that people make to fat people? That's probably giving them too much credit... they just love the horrible puns...

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by MalibuPam
    I worry about the people being compelled to exercise to the point of vomiting. I'm on my own little exercise program now, and I wear a heart-rate monitor to keep to my target zone [ (220 - AGE) x 0.7 = 70% of my max drop-dead heart-rate]. A person is NEVER to go over 85% unless they are a super-trained athlete with a doctor standing next to them, and even then only very briefly. 70% isn't even that out of breath. When you get to the point of gasping for breath, most likely you've gone too far. If you start to feel ill while exercising, something is wrong. I worry that people will not pay attention to their bodies with that sort of pushing.

Who knows? Maybe they have a cardiologist standing just outside the camera shot to keep things safe. I hope so.
    They do say at the end that they give each contestant a program tailored to their health needs or something....e.g., I'm sure some of these people must be at least borderline diabetic so they have to take their meds into account. This might be one reason Maurice didn't lose as much (aside from the bacon!)--they may have had to curtail the strenuousness of his exercise program for his heart--or knees--sake.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Thonolan
    I think it's only a matter of time before the more successful dieters start getting voted off. Think about it- one guy might lose 60 pounds during the first three weeks and rest may start thinking that they need to get rid of him if they want a shot at the $250,000.

...I really hope I'm wrong. This is one reality show that does not need alliances, politics or scheming.
    They seemed to be in a lot of angst about voting anyone off at all, feeling everyone needed to be there. If they get to thinking beyond the "merge" in Survivor terms (as at least the men's team this year on Survivor seemed to do from the start) I think they will have a lot of internal emotional conflict. Who would want to vote off Maurice when being on the program might save his life in the near future? A quarter million is nice, but I think these people, especially the somewhat older ones, know it isn't as important as a life, and that this really is a life or death issue, not just a swimsuit one. I hope!!

I think this show would be MUCH better if the elimination angle was removed. Let all the people keep training and modifying their behavior and getting educated about exercise and nutrition and then reward someone with $250K at the end ... but keep them all on board through the duration.

Also, I have to wonder which network will be the first to pit anorexics against each other in a race to gain weight.

Let's see ... which shows exploit which stereotype? ...

dating shows (Bachelor/ette) exploit dumb beautiful people;
    dating shows (Average Joe, Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance) exploits beauty vs. beast;
    makeover shows exploit homely people;
    Littlest Groom exploits midg .. uhh ... I mean dwarv ... uhh little people;
    Simple Life exploits rednecks, hillbillies, & white trash <-- Hilton;
    spouse swapping shows exploits rich vs. poor, city vs. country;
    Biggest Loser exploits overweight people;

... what else?

Quote Originally Posted by getreal
    Also, I have to wonder which network will be the first to pit anorexics against each other in a race to gain weight.
    Aren't anorexics being humiliated enough on America's Next Top Model?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234