+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Biggest Loser

I'll definately be watching, I'm hoping it motivates me (I fall in the pregnancy pounds however my son is now two years old category).

I like watching makeover shows and shows about people changing their lives for the better. I think there are some groups stating that the show insists they need to be "fixed" and that they don't. Well obviously they feel they want to change and this is a great way to do it. HECK, I'd do it for that kind of money in a heartbeat.

I need that kind of motivation to stick with things, so good for them.
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Right now I'm eating a big fat piece of cake with double fudge chocolate icing and a big bag of Dorritos. Tonight I'm going to order pizza and drink a couple of beers while I sit back and channel surf. I'll make sure to take a look at this show.......Oh ,I might feel guilty for a lilttle while,but I'll get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses
    True, and that's exactly the reason I won't be watching this show. There's a line of decency and humanity that even reality TV shouldn't cross to humiliate and exploit people, and this is one of those lines. This is a new low in reality TV.

Ugh.
    I wasn't aware they'd be doing that.
    That's really put me off watching the show.

Quote Originally Posted by realitynut95
    The mean thing is while they are trying to lose the weight, the network is taunting them with food. Like when they wake up in the morning they come down the steps to find a mountain of cupcakes and candy. show...
    I agree that it's pretty cruel but, unfortunately, when you're a food addict (and I speak from personal experience!) EVERY trip to the grocery store feels like that! If they can't handle those temptations then they won't succeed long-term.

I plan on watching at least the first episode. Maybe it'll give me more motivation to lose that last 20 pounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    EVERY trip to the grocery store feels like that! If they can't handle those temptations then they won't succeed long-term.
    First, someone please shoot me... I vowed I wouldn't come into this thread again, lol

Second, the above is true... BUT those trips to the grocery store aren't filmed on national TV to entertain an audience, and the grocery stores aren't offering to award you with money or anything else if you'll avoid the high-fat type items they offer inside, and don't purposely put those items in your face while at the same time saying "don't be tempted". When you go into the grocery store, if you want to avoid the Bakery section, for instance, you have the option to do that. One of the success methods people use to avoid temptations is to avoid putting themselves into places or situations where they're face to face with the things that tempt them. Big difference in what this show is doing by placing them in situations designed to humiliate and exploit their weaknesses in the name of audience entertainment. That's the part of the show I have the problem with.

Ok, now seriously.... someone shoot me if I come back in here again, ok?
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Newbie
    do u know how I can apply for the biggest loser. I cant seem to find the bottom line connect...Lisa

Considering it premieres tonight, I would say that your window of opportunity to apply has passed.

Although your window of opportunity to re-read our rules and stop using "lingo" has not yet closed.

I have been looking forward to this show ever since I heard the premise.

Saying or writing the word "fat" has become synonymous with the "N" word; you have people PM-ing you and flaming you for even mentioning that a contestant on ANY reality show is "f__". It's apparently ok to call thin people "skinny, skanky, twiggy, and broom", but don't go near any one with a weight problem or your bashed over the head!

It's going to be really interesting reading people's comments and seeing just "how" they describe the contestants without mentioning their size!

I've got my buttered popcorn, Coke and Hershey Candy bars next to me while I watch!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by did_it_again
    Right now I'm eating a big fat piece of cake with double fudge chocolate icing and a big bag of Dorritos. Tonight I'm going to order pizza and drink a couple of beers while I sit back and channel surf. I'll make sure to take a look at this show.......Oh ,I might feel guilty for a lilttle while,but I'll get over it.

and I'll bet you weigh a whole 2 lbs (soaking wet)

There are a couple issues I have with this show, besides the 'goodie table'....For one thing it's pretty common for a very heavy person to lose a whole lot more weight at the onset than someone who's only trying to lose maybe 10 or 15 lbs. Now I know Marcus (I hope that was his name, the heaviest guy on the show) did NOT lose a disproportionate amount in spite of his heftiness but we don't know the whole story - maybe he cheated with some of the goodies - we KNOW he pigged out on the bacon. In order for this to be truly fair the show should be calculating based on percentage lost to base weight or something like that (I know what I'm trying to say but I don't know how to word it correctly). I also didn't like the idea of people being 'voted off' or asked to leave.......why do that to a bunch of people who are there to achieve something positive (and I don't mean the money). The only time I can see asking someone to leave is if they are being truly disruptive to the process, not giving it their all (or as much of their all as they can physically achieve) I can just about see what will happen next if the Blue team loses - the black girl who only lost 6 lbs. will probably get the boot since she doesn't have nearly as much weight to lose as the rest on the team......also how will they keep the teams even - keep moving from team red to team blue as the need arises?????? I thought this was supposed to be a group of people and whoever lost the most weight wins.....not an elimination process.......I guess at SOME point they will need to stop eliminating people as it will become less and less a contest - also I hope they decide to consider the 'percentage factoring' when it comes right down to how they determine who really is the biggest loser.......someone who loses 30% of their excess baggage should be considered over someone who only loses 20% (but who, in raw numbers, may appear to have lost the most)

since the teams themselves weighed within 2lbs of each other... I'd say the producers did a great job of grouping them together.

I would hope that the teams would choose who leaves based upon something other than *you lost the least amount of weight.* Choose that person that cheated that week. Choose that person that cost you your physical challenge, but don't choose based upon who lost least.

Right along with that, I hope they stop judging the teams based upon who loses more each week, too. Now that the teams are uneven, how are they going to make up for the one person difference?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast