+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Frankie Grande - BB16

Re: Frankie Grande - BB16

He's waaaaay over the top but there were moments where I just liked him. I don't think the Rachel interview changed my mind any. link
    Jahim likes this.
    Will you accept my dancing rose bro as a 'special powers' idol?

I 100% agree with that Ilja. I had him written off completely, and now I only slightly dislike to borderline hope he does well. I do think he was a good choice for casting and I usually don't care for the Big Brother style of "stereotypical gay" casting. His video confirmed my suspicions for the most part.
    Big Brother 16: The Alliance - Come See the Fun in the Big Brother Forum!

Loud, over the top, semi-irritating. Hey BB can you please cast folks who aren't caricatures? Or play into stereotypes? This isn't a knock on Frankie at all-it's more about hey, why not cast a gay person with a different personality type? There are about a million of them.
    Punkin, Jahim, Mreid and 2 others like this.
    " I'm a Republican. I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure, not gay marriage."- Will Macavoy The Newsroom

I've always said that about BB's casting of gay guys. Drives me up the wall. They could actually take a note from MTV Real World for that. There are going to be those types that we see on the show now, of course. They fit the self-involved put-it-all-out-there type they want for a show like this in general, but I feel like we see a much better mix of characters on the Real World and then the challenges.
    Big Brother 16: The Alliance - Come See the Fun in the Big Brother Forum!

FORT Fogey

There are a million personality types that could be cast. But do those personality types WANT to be cast? I think that at times that's a challenge we forget in casting. There are not a lot of people who have the ability or willingness to give up 4 months of their lives to be locked away from their lives AND have ever element of their lives dug up and dissected on social media. The only people who are willing to do that for the most part are arrogant, self-centered people who either don't have jobs, or work in very flexible fields who can allow them to be away for several months. Most people who work in business or have families are rules out. There are exceptions to that. We've seen people who are willing to leave their spouse and kids for the chance at the money, and there are a few employers who will grant the leave of absence. But the pool of self-involved stereotypes has to be MUCH larger. Which is why I think it's important for viewers to not fall for thinking "Oh, all gay people must be like this". But I think the good news is that as our society advances and it's more comfortable for more and more people to be out, a much larger percentage of the viewing audience knows first hand that not all gay people are like the reality show stereotype (or any of the other stereotypes that are always cast).
    Punkin, Jahim and Katydyd like this.

Frankly I bristle at this whole idea of "too gay". The problem isn't with the gay person, it's with the comfort level of the person obvserving the gay person. Should they also cast people who are "black but not too black"?

I can see the problem with them casting gay people who are also narcissistic jackasses, like Dustin or Joshuah, but I don't see that in Frankie so far. All I see is someone who was allowed to let his personality develop freely. He's flamboyant, but that in itself isn't wrong. If he turns out to be a decent person in the house (fingers crossed), maybe he will break down people's discomfort about seeing people like that, because they have a right to be in this world too.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Frankly I bristle at this whole idea of "too gay". The problem isn't with the gay person, it's with the comfort level of the person obvserving the gay person. Should they also cast people who are "black but not too black"?
    naw, they(casting) like extreme has nothing to do with comfort level; as the viewers i think for the most part only care about entertainment..the super flamboyant loud obnoxious stands a better chance in their eyes at providing the most entertainment value

a few years ago BB thought they hit the jackpot and put a guy on there named lawon, i guess the experts thought he would be entertaining and would kill two birds with one stone... i didnt find him entertaining at all, he just was basically there making up stupid words and ultimately wiping out and evicted himself, waste of a bb contestant space imo

on the black thing. they didnt let me down as i described what they would cast prior to the show... i just need the show to start so i can confirm all my suspicions. they found someone with a 3-sylable uncommon j name that just happens to be a minister, and the baseball player guy, well i need to see how he responds to the other houseguests but i have a feeling. i guess they are going with the swole athlete black guy route for a few seasons to see what kind of production they get out of him vs the previous short statured goofy ones that brownnose the blonde girl in the house on day one.

anyways whatever... thats just my opinion
    redsox girl and Tmull2013 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    There are a million personality types that could be cast. But do those personality types WANT to be cast? I think that at times that's a challenge we forget in casting. There are not a lot of people who have the ability or willingness to give up 4 months of their lives to be locked away from their lives AND have ever element of their lives dug up and dissected on social media......
    100% agree!! I think this is a huge issue for most reality shows, and this show in particular. In addition to wanting entertaining TV - which most of these shows have decided means larger than life, over the top personalities - they have to find people who want to be on the show. While we might think - "oh gee, that would be fun to be on xxx...." the reality of "reality" shows is that most people don't want their lives on display. Now that these shows have been around for awhile, people can see how things are distorted, and how lives can really be affected. It does take a certain personality type to want to go through that. Especially on a show like Big Brother where you have absolutely zero privacy. None of us are perfect, and I guarantee if any of us were put in that house we'd do something, at some point, we weren't exactly proud of. I personally just wouldn't want that to be in front of thousands who are going to dissect my every move and make assumptions about me. As for the "stereotypes," I guess I don't really mind them because I'm aware that's what they are. And honestly, there's some truth to big personalities = big drama. I think the danger comes when people look at these shows as some sort of representation of real life and start assuming all gay men are like Frankie, or all black women are like Jocasta - or Jameka. As a white woman of a similar age, no one would automatically assume I'm just like Kail or Sheila...
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

FORT Regular

Just don't like this guy......he seems like a Rainbow Bright reject. How in the
    world did a YouTube artist make the house. First we have to deal with his
    sister (That thinks she is the new Mariah Carey.....good luck honey you
    will never fill those very high heels) now we have to deal with Frankie!

Just to be clear, I am not a gay hater.....I am gay myself. Just posting my opinion.
    Plus just not crazy about this stunt casting. Can BB not find a regular gay male or
    female to bring to the house. Someone like Frankie is a slap in the face to many
    gay and lesbians around the world. Most of us are not so in your face.
    Last edited by Tmull2013; 07-08-2014 at 05:34 AM.
    Florimel and redsox girl like this.

This might be a little OT but having NEVER heard of his sister, I just saw this on the MTV website.

She does have a FAB voice and is absolutely ADORABLE!!!

Ariana Grande Teases 'Best Mistake' Featuring Big Sean: Listen Now - MTV
    Jahim likes this.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast