+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 9/9 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 9/9 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by malthus View Post
    I'll have to take your word for it. Don't know him personally and didn't watch his previous season. He seems to have ramped up the intensity the last few episodes but to me Dan just looks like he is playing the game. Hard. Just seems like he is a good actor. I don't actually think Anthony Hopkins eats people.
    The final three of Dan's previous season included his sidekick, Memphis, and a 75-year-old man who referred to Dan as Judas. Dan wanted to win the final physical competition, so he managed to get the 75-year-old man into the final three. Ian think he's this season's "Memphis." Ian doesn't realize that Dan doesn't have a Memphis this season. Dan had an alliance with Memphis, but he doesn't have one with Ian.... Ian thinks he's in a "Renegade" alliance with Dan, but Dan is lying to him. So Ian is trusting, while Dan is cold and manipulative: they're playing themselves in this game. Dan doesn't break laws, (like Richard Hatch), but he crosses what I consider are ethical boundaries... and he does so easily. Even though they're playing against each other for money, others in the house need some type of connection with those in the house... not Dan: he's on his own... coldly using the other houseguests.

This is not season 10 and different strategies have had to be used. Strategy is doing what it takes to further yourself in the game. If that means lying and stabbing people in the back, so be it. Dan is playing a different game this year because the circumstances are different.

He won his season because even Jerry recognized him as a strong player. Jerry said when casting his vote that Dan said Good Night to him even when they were at extreme odds. Michelle, who hated his guts and knew he was manipulating her when he took her on the beach trip, acknowledged that that was a very good move in order to get her vote. She voted for him.

You have to remember that first and foremost Dan is a football coach. He is always trying to anticipate the opposition's moves before they make them. That anticipation led to the funeral this year. That trait does not make him a sociopath or psychologically unstable. Neither does his interest in the houseguests, which is genuine. He and Jerry talk to each other every so often now even after Jerry's harsh words and gestures during the game.

Once a coach leaves the field, it is on to the next game.
    biggbaddgirl likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

This season Dan isn't even trying to be genial with his Diary Room comments: he has dropped all pretense. All that Dan talks about is lying to houseguests so that he can win the money. Football is about strategizing where and when to throw or run the ball. The Big Brother game, for Dan this season, is all about lyiing to people, using people. Dan's lying and backstabbing isn't pleasant to watch. How many of those who voted for Dan the first season would vote for him after seeing what he's been like this season?

In real life, I wouldn't like Dan and his super manipulative ways....but this is the exact strategy needed to win this game. Dan is very very good at it.
    I can understand how people would come to dislike him...nobody likes that kind of person.
    So I have no trouble w/how he's behaving...he's doing it brilliantly. The one thing I do mind is when he says in his PI's that he just want to bring home the money to provide and help his family.
    Since he already won a lot of money from Big Brother, I'm not so gullible as to think they "really really need it" as he infers.
    Wasn't it $500,000?

FORT Fogey

If Dan said that he "wants" the money that would make him seem greedy, so he says that he needs the money. I don't think Dan is playing brilliantly: he's being himself. Also, football and Big Brother are two completely different types of "games." Winning a football game doesn't have anything to do with hurting the feelings of players on the opposing team. Dan's moves in the Big Brother game included intentionally hurting Danielle's feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    If Dan said that he "wants" the money that would make him seem greedy, so he says that he needs the money. I don't think Dan is playing brilliantly: he's being himself. Also, football and Big Brother are two completely different types of "games." Winning a football game doesn't have anything to do with hurting the feelings of players on the opposing team. Dan's moves in the Big Brother game included intentionally hurting Danielle's feelings.
    I think of all the moves you could reference - that is the least offensive to me. It was for a moment and clearly for the game - he immediately went to her and made it up. He is actually showing some loyalty to Dani. I would have referenced using Frank and the swearing on the bible for distasteful moves. As he told Dani, he was trying to keep them both in the game. I think it has helped her game play (she's grown up a little) and has actually played better since that drama.

Disclaimer - I didn't like Dan at the first - every thing he seemed to be doing was dumb (throwing challenges, etc.). I was pulling for Frank and was excited to see Dan go. But that Funeral episode was brilliant - I just wish he would have stuck with Frank - would have been more interesting I think.

I hope it comes down to Dan and Ian somehow - they are two most deserving (in terms of game moves that changed the power structure in the house). I think Ian would get the votes just for being a newbie - but it would be interesting.

Also, it may have been the edit, but remember at the beginning of the season when they showed the "creeper" Ian and everyone was freaked out by him and Boogie won the coaches challenge and used it to keep Ian safe? It seemed like he was going home that episode (may have just been the edit). But he sure has come a long way.

That bible swear thing has been blown out of proportion by the editing and now by web comments.

He swore that what he was about to tell Frank was true, then proceeded to out the Quack Pack including Ian.

40 minutes later they shook on a Final 2 deal - it was not a part of the bible swear even though Frank carried the "swear" forward to that deal.

Sorry non-feed watchers but I couldn't hold this in any longer.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Derek is the best!!! Fanny Mare's Avatar

He said he swore on his wife. Didn't he swear on his ring? Hmm not fond of those things. If pepole get upset about the bible, I guess they do

I still think he had help with the whole funeral escapade.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    That bible swear thing has been blown out of proportion by the editing and now by web comments.

He swore that what he was about to tell Frank was true, then proceeded to out the Quack Pack including Ian.

40 minutes later they shook on a Final 2 deal - it was not a part of the bible swear even though Frank carried the "swear" forward to that deal.

Sorry non-feed watchers but I couldn't hold this in any longer.
    I think I kind of knew that from reading the boards. My point is more that he gave Frank hope based on all that swearing allegiance, etc. I think the thing he did to Dani at the funeral was minor - seemed dramatic at the time but he told her (truthfully) what he did and why.

Not trying to get off on a tangent. Just seems like Dan is playing the game - literally harder than anyone. Doesn't seem like he is a pschyopath (the Hantz's on the other hand) to me. To me Dan is the least offensive - I think he treats people like human beings. The gay guy from Alabama on Survivor last season was the worst type to me - the kind that acts like a total d-bag for no reason other than they are in power. That is what cost Russell H. the first time he played Survivor. I thought some of the things he did were amazing (finding the idols, etc.) but he acted like a complete jerk - often for NO reason - just because he could. Cost him in the end.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast