Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: 7/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 7/22 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4009317;
    I know some people wouldn't want to eat the Paté, particularly fois gras, for moral reasons, not unlike people's aversion to veal. When some foods are produced in an inhumane (as some see it) manner, they will not eat it. Fois gras is produced by a nasty way of force feeding geese and a lot of veal is made from baby cows that are kept in a very small crate-like thing all their short lives, unable to walk, roam, etc. Kind of like how some of the awful practices of poultry farmers with chickens.
    I'm not making judgements here because I'm a strong believer in freedom of choice and I'm pretty sure these things taste wonderful or they wouldn't be a delicacy. I'm just saying that Paté may not have been a good choice for different reasons.
    Foie gras is very different. Run of the mill paté is made from ordinary pork or chicken liver, the sort you can get at the grocery store. A moral vegetarian (as opposed to someone who is vegetarian for health reasons) would, quite properly, be horrified by the idea, but your basic carnivore shouldn't have a problem with it.

I couldn't be paid to eat foie gras and I am strongly, and occasionally vociferously, opposed to it. And I am making judgement . I do like my animal protein, but am appalled by any inhumane treatment of livestock.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4009607;
    Foie gras is very different. Run of the mill paté is made from ordinary pork or chicken liver, the sort you can get at the grocery store. A moral vegetarian (as opposed to someone who is vegetarian for health reasons) would, quite properly, be horrified by the idea, but your basic carnivore shouldn't have a problem with it.

I couldn't be paid to eat foie gras and I am strongly, and occasionally vociferously, opposed to it. And I am making judgement . I do like my animal protein, but am appalled by any inhumane treatment of livestock.
    I guess I didn't know there was a difference between fois gras and pate and I've never eaten either and probably never will. But wouldn't a moral vegetarian be horrified by the idea of eating any animal?

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4011612;
    But wouldn't a moral vegetarian be horrified by the idea of eating any animal?
    Not necessarily. My failed attempts to become vegetarian are based on moral rather than health issues, but I don't judge those who remain omnivorous, including the consumption of run-of-the-mill paté. However, the production and consumption of foie gras appalls me, and I do judge those who choose to eat it. My husband is a vegetarian for health reasons - he too is appalled by foie gras.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789