+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A national autism group is demanding an apology

A national autism group is demanding an apology

NEW YORK - A national autism group is demanding an apology from CBS over a disparaging remark a contestant on the reality show "Big Brother" made about people with the disorder.

Autism group demands apology from CBS - Yahoo! News

John Gilmore, executive director of Autism United, says his group has been trying to speak with CBS executives since the show aired last Tuesday.

On the show, a contestant named Adam, who said he works for an autism foundation, said he would spend his winnings on a hair salon for people with developmental disabilities "so retards can get it together and get their hair done." The Web site for the show describes him as a 29-year-old public relations manager from Del Ray Beach, Fla.

His remark shocked his partner, Sheila, who replied, "Don't call them that."

Adam responded by saying, "Disabled kids. I can call them whatever I want. I work with them all day, OK?"

A call to CBS was not immediately returned.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Re: A national autism group is demanding an apology

I think this was a deliberate attempt by CBS and the producers to skew our opinion of the contestants. There was no credible dialogue going on in that conversation that warrented it being aired. It could have gone the way of Jameka's anti-semetic comments about Eric from last season and never made in the telecasat.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by diva211;2799813;
    I think this was a deliberate attempt by CBS and the producers to skew our opinion of the contestants. There was no credible dialogue going on in that conversation that warrented it being aired. It could have gone the way of Jameka's anti-semetic comments about Eric from last season and never made in the telecasat.
    Hey, he said it. They didn't make it up. And it makes Sheila's response to him seem (somewhat) less nuts...and the guys who are taking his side now look like jerks. It wasn't said out of ignorance... he says he WORKS with these kids. Unlike some past racist/etc. remarks which to some extent could be attributed to ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by diva211;2799813;
    Didn't Amber cause an uproar too?
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

IMO, I think it would be safe to say that Amber's was said out of ignorance though....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I was really taken aback by what Adam said..okay,the guy isn't the most sensitve soul,but anyone who works with the disabled would never say anything like that....his claim that he works with people with autism rings false to me.
    Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

A review of the Florida website for corportations finds that United Autism Foundation used to be Trees Are Beings, Inc., (until 2007 when they changed the name) and the website for the foundation is new (none of the links work except the one for donations), Does Adam think he's the Matt Dillon character from "Something About Mary?" - this whole thing to me appears to be a play for attention, and what he was hoping was a ride to the money at the end or from donations to the foundation, maybe.

"...see the signs, know their meanings"

"You say that now, but how are you at canasta?"

Being the Mother of two children with Autism the only retard I know of is Adam! I was hoping for an Amber free season, and what I mean by that is I was hoping for a season where all the hamsters had just a little brain!

+ Reply to Thread