+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Possible Winter edition

Re: Possible Winter edition

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2671459;
    Oh, gawd!! BB again? They're really not allowing enough recovery time between seasons anymore. It usually takes me a full 12 months...
    You can thank the writers strike!

Chris

Nik

I would LOVE to see a BB Celeb with Rosie and her former View co-stars -- ESPECIALLY ex-Survivor, Elizabeth Hasslecrack. Can't you just see it?

Rosie: Elizabeth, you have been evicted from the Big Brother House

Julie: Actually Rosie, we're just at the part where we do the nominations. No eviction yet. And furthermore, you're not HOH, Paula Abdul is. And furthermore that's MY line!

Paula: Whoever the nominees are, I just wanna say, you have such presence onstage. And you tell a story with a beginning, middle and an end.

Julie: (sigh) It's gonna be a long season.
    Last edited by Nik; 11-16-2007 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump;2671123;
    Just saw a casting call commercial for BB during tonight's Survivor. I must admit as long as it's not a celebrity edition, I'm pretty stoked for a winter BB.
    Julie Chen plugged the casting call this morning on The Early Show.

I'm actually excited about this!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

In some ways, I wonder how well a winter edition will do. I know it'll do well, but I don't think it'll do as well as the summer edition does. I think this because of the amount of dedication this show requires as compared to other reality shows. I know I won't be able to follow as closely with the livefeeds and with the daily BB madness because I will be busy with "life". The summer's got more built in freedom. At least for me.

I actually think the CBS viewership numbers will be higher for this winter edition compared to the summer edition. You have more people watching during these months compared to the summer months.

Years ago, network summer viewing consisted only of repeats because people were doing other things (being outside, going on vacation, etc.) But the networks found out they could put on cheap (reality) programming and got decent #'s in the process.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2670731;
    And bring back Dick for one of the challenges........
    I would die if that happened.

Now if they brought back Amber... haha, I think I would be the only one up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpayroll;2672758;
    I actually think the CBS viewership numbers will be higher for this winter edition compared to the summer edition. You have more people watching during these months compared to the summer months.

Years ago, network summer viewing consisted only of repeats because people were doing other things (being outside, going on vacation, etc.) But the networks found out they could put on cheap (reality) programming and got decent #'s in the process.

Chris
    I think the ratings would also be higher, although some fall shows seem to do better in the summer. Season 5 of TAR was aired in the summer, and the show actually gained viewers (that's when I started watching it). The first season of Survivor was aired in the summer and had one of the highest ratings in the history of television.

But that's all in the past. In the summer of '07, the top show was America's Got Talent. It brought in about 12 million viewers each episode. But here on FoRT, it didn't bring much attention, and it was pretty soon shelved in the "No Longer Covered" section. Usually in the fall, many shows bring in overr 20 million viewers. I don't think BB can reach that high (because the shows that reach that high aren't usually reality shows unless it's American Idol). Maybe around where TAR is, which is maybe around 10 million.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

I think there are a lot of factors which make predicitng whether or not a winter Big Brother will do better a wash. On the one hand, it's very true that overall viewing levels in the Summer are lower for the reasons mrpayroll cited. On the flip side, successful Summer shows tend to do well because they aren't up against strong competition. People who would rather watch a new episode of The Office or Grey's Anatomy may watch something in the Summer because the other shows are in re-runs.

Of course, in this case, CBS is looking to bring Big Brother back because of the lack of original programs ... on their network. But it'll be going up against things like American Idol this time around. CBS has less of a bullpen than the other networks because their shows are so strong. So they need the filler, while other networks have more of it. CBS is going to have to make some careful competitive programming decisions about where to run the show in order to beat the Summer ratings.

I think viewership of the actual airings of the show may or may not change. What I think will change more is the fringe aspects of the show. Watching the live feeds, watching the afterdark show (if it's a go again), or getting that overall level of involvement in the show outside of the episodes.

I think the involvement of the show (the live feeds and such) will be about the same. Because really the only people who have more time in the summer are school officials who don't have summer jobs, right? And although they may represent a percentage of the feed viewership, I don't think they are the majority. I watched the live feeds at night when I worked all day. The biggest threat to a winter Big Brother is certainly the American Idol juggernaut. But Big Brother does air more days out of the week. So if they time the good episodes so they won't conflict with American Idol, I think they'll see decent ratings. This, of course, will all depend on casting. If they have a house full of stinkers and bores nothing will save them.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2673634;
    I think the involvement of the show (the live feeds and such) will be about the same. Because really the only people who have more time in the summer are school officials who don't have summer jobs, right? And although they may represent a percentage of the feed viewership, I don't think they are the majority. I watched the live feeds at night when I worked all day. The biggest threat to a winter Big Brother is certainly the American Idol juggernaut. But Big Brother does air more days out of the week. So if they time the good episodes so they won't conflict with American Idol, I think they'll see decent ratings. This, of course, will all depend on casting. If they have a house full of stinkers and bores nothing will save them.
    OMG I hadn't thought of that...between sitting with the phone glued to my ear voting on AI, texting my votes...I'm now going to have to be glued to the computer watching the Live Feeds too???????
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread