+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920

Thread: 7/17 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd
    I hope they do take offense! The day I see Michael wearing one of those stupid headbands, I'll know for sure he's gone over to the dark side. I still wonder about a grown man who takes a bubble bath with another grown man.

And you're right about his conversation with Jen, that was pretty lame.
    Michael has his head so far up Scott's A.. that he'll never be able to fully see the light of day! Just my opinion, it's like Romber from SAS all over again! Stick with Scott/Jase and you'll get far! Have they not learned anything from reality tv??!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by esmattynd
    Well, IMHO, Marvin will do great in the middle for a while, as long as the men and the women kind of alternate winning HOH and evicting one from the other camp.
    This is the real key, and what I'm basing my opinion on. A "neutral" is safer with two opposing factions warring If one faction feels that they have sufficiantly worn down the other, their attention will then be directed at the neutrals.

Let's say Marvin had put up Scott and Jase. Then assume the best case scenario - POV not used, and one of them actually goes. Let's say Jase goes, Where does that leave Marvin ?

Well, it leaves him with the three remaining Horesasses as definite enemies, and two of them are pretty strong players.

It leaves him with Will as a definite ally, but he's weak.

And it leaves the women intact, now knowing that Marvin is a strong player. They just might target Marvin, who is neither the big brother of one of their fellow felames, nor is he Drew or Will, who have been given at least a week promise that they will be carried as far as possible.

In other words, it could leave Marvin a target of every remaining HG except Will.

Some have said that Marvin has already made himself a target of the women with his nominations this week. I say he's no more of a target of the women than he would be with either Scott or Jase out of the picture. As it is, Marvin has made himself definitely NOT a target of the Horesasses or Will, and he has whittled the women's power base by decreasing their numbers by one.

I stand by my opinion that Marvin has made a good nomination.
    "Better to burn out than just fade away...." - Neil Young

Quote Originally Posted by esmattynd
    Nice post, Decan.

You make some good points too. I keep thinking back to last year though. I mean, look who won! Someone with no real alliance at all. Jun went back and forth every week almost. How does this apply to Marvin?

Well, IMHO, Marvin will do great in the middle for a while, as long as the men and the women kind of alternate winning HOH and evicting one from the other camp.

Look at it this way. You're in a group, like the 4H. You know for a fact Diane/Lori/Karen/etc are grouped together and gunning for you. That makes them a lot more dangerous, on a weekly basis, than Marvin, who is kind of by himself. Same goes for the ladies. When Adria or Lori or Karen or whoever first gets HOH, I would be shocked if she wouldn't automatically pick Jase and Scott. You have two warring sides who must deal with the other group and whittle that group's numbers down before dealing with stragglers.

This all has a caveat of course. If the women win 2 or 3 in a row and things are unbalanced, then Marvin is obviously a target and will probably go. The same holds true if the 4H win 2 or 3 in a row. Then they could afford to dump Marvin. But until the numbers get out of whack, if they ever do, Marvin's sitting in a decent spot.
    No I do agree with you on that. That is why marvin is in such a delicate balancing act.... he can't afford to make either side, or any side for that matter angry at him..... and since he made himself known to everyone that he is all buddy-buddy with the 4H, I think he's putting a huge target on his back and possibly costing him the game (don't forget the women alliance is outnubering the men/ 4H groups so far)

But you're right marvin is going nowhere in the foreseeable future. He's basically safe because of the 4H protection. However if this goes on without any significant changes on marvin's part (or some unexpected changes in the alliance of others) then this also means the beginning of marvin's eventually eviction..... if the girls have anything to say when the protection from the 4H disappears, marvin's out...... if everybody's gone except for the 4H, marvin's a goner too. Thus again the only way I see how marvin can pull this off to win the half million is to divide and conquer.... to chop every alliance in the house in the smallest pieces as possible. Then play the game from that.

He has alot of work cut out for him for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeover17
    This is the real key, and what I'm basing my opinion on. A "neutral" is safer with two opposing factions warring If one faction feels that they have sufficiantly worn down the other, their attention will then be directed at the neutrals.

Let's say Marvin had put up Scott and Jase. Then assume the best case scenario - POV not used, and one of them actually goes. Let's say Jase goes, Where does that leave Marvin ?

Well, it leaves him with the three remaining Horesasses as definite enemies, and two of them are pretty strong players.

It leaves him with Will as a definite ally, but he's weak.

And it leaves the women intact, now knowing that Marvin is a strong player. They just might target Marvin, who is neither the big brother of one of their fellow felames, nor is he Drew or Will, who have been given at least a week promise that they will be carried as far as possible.

In other words, it could leave Marvin a target of every remaining HG except Will.

Some have said that Marvin has already made himself a target of the women with his nominations this week. I say he's no more of a target of the women than he would be with either Scott or Jase out of the picture. As it is, Marvin has made himself definitely NOT a target of the Horesasses or Will, and he has whittled the women's power base by decreasing their numbers by one.

I do see your point and on the surface it is very true. But the thing is if we are talking about what's in the best interest of marvin, he doesn't have much in his game plan so far. The best thing he could've done is NOT to win HOH and leave all cat-fights out of his range. But the fact that he got HOH and he have to choose sides it gives him very limited options. If his game plan is to divide and conquer like what I've said in previous post then he cannot afford to alienate himself this early on in the game to any side of any alliance. You know the better thing he could've done is to nominate Will... and any other as pawn. And using the food competition as an excuse to outst him out of the game for good. Granted the girls aren't going to be happy about that but at least it is better than actually "killing off" one of the girls in your name. You're not only doing the 4H a favor (for free I might add) but you're basically making yourself the enemy of the girls (or what looks to be everyone but the 4H).

That is not good strategy at all.
    Last edited by decan; 07-19-2004 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edgeover17

Doesn't scan. He hasn't whittled the women's number down as credibly as if he'd put up Lori AND Adria or Karen. You can't argue he's whittled an alliance down (to no great advantage to HIMSELF vs. the Horse's Asses) and yet simultaneously argue that he had good reason to pick Holly. If Holly goes, the guys might let it pass for a while, but the women will still know Marvin mostly sided with the guys with the initial nominations. If Lori goes, then Marvin's made himself just as much of a target as if he'd put TWO people from that alliance up.

Marvin went with who he didn't "like". Nothing more, nothing less... certainly there was no strategy involved at all except after the fact to badly try and justify things.

Will and Holly would have been the best nominations for him. Either that, or as I said, to go head-first into breaking up the women and taking his chances with the tools. You either play both sides of the fence or you hit it WAY over the top of the fence. You don't dribble the ball barely over the fence.
    Last edited by Krom; 07-19-2004 at 11:17 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I found it funny that Jase and Scott use the word "gay" all the time as a pejorative when they are the two most metrosexual queens in the house. They can't stand to see real masculinity (ooh, honey that hairy Mike simply HAsssss to go! and please get Michael to shave those hairy legs or at least put a kicky stripe down the side, he looks simply beastly!) They are like Queer Eye for the Frat Guy.

The name Jase always makes me think of Space Ghost since that was the name of his teenage companions on the old cartoon (Jan, Jase and Gleep the space monkey)

I doubt they are referencing the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse (war, famine, death and pestilence) even though it would be a fitting comparison, I don't see them as that literate.

They probably got it from the famous "Four Horsemen" wrestling team headed by "Nature Boy" Ric Flair who was also as androgynously flamboyant.

A lot of good points have been made about Marvin's nominations so far...

I agree with Krom that Marvin should not have played the middle ground as he did, he should have either decided to be completely neutral (nom. Will and Holly) or completely target the women's alliance (nom. Lori and A/Karen). IMO, it is in Marvin's best interest to breakup the woman alliance and go with the Horsemen to the end -- I think that is where he can succeed. If he gets to the final five with the horsemen, he could try to make a move with Drew or Michael (or both) telling them that they have no chance of being in the final two against Jase and Scott (who would each take the other). If he could swing one or both of those horsemen, he has a decent shot of making it to the final two. Obviously he has no such chance with the women.

The Horsemen have already showed that they see him as an ally, and perhaps even a "Fifth Horseman," and I think he should've sided more directly with them by putting up Lori and Adria or Karen.
    Who is John Galt?

Homer Simpson, on TV:

"Let us all bask in television's warm glowing warming glow."

"Without TV, it is hard to know when one day ends and another begins."

Quote Originally Posted by Xantham Gum
    They probably got it from the famous "Four Horsemen" wrestling team headed by "Nature Boy" Ric Flair who was also as androgynously flamboyant.

Don't you even dare to compare those dumbbells with ric flare or wrestling legend four horsemen..... the ones livings in the bb house are not worthy!

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoD'Anconia
    A lot of good points have been made about Marvin's nominations so far...

I agree with Krom that Marvin should not have played the middle ground as he did, he should have either decided to be completely neutral (nom. Will and Holly) or completely target the women's alliance (nom. Lori and A/Karen). IMO, it is in Marvin's best interest to breakup the woman alliance and go with the Horsemen to the end -- I think that is where he can succeed. If he gets to the final five with the horsemen, he could try to make a move with Drew or Michael (or both) telling them that they have no chance of being in the final two against Jase and Scott (who would each take the other). If he could swing one or both of those horsemen, he has a decent shot of making it to the final two. Obviously he has no such chance with the women.

The Horsemen have already showed that they see him as an ally, and perhaps even a "Fifth Horseman," and I think he should've sided more directly with them by putting up Lori and Adria or Karen.
    I disagree. The bond between the 4H are tighter than anything marvin can come up with. If it came down to the 5 of them, assuming things haven't changed significally, more than likely marvin will get the boot first. Besides, I don't know about you but although drew might be sort of fond of marvin, I just can't see a bond between marvin and micheal, besides I think micheal will do everthing he can to save his "sista" first than to bring marvin into the final five spot. Well that's just my thinking.

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar

who does everyone think these 4 would relate to, BB-wise?

+ Reply to Thread