+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Brother Booze & Legal Drinking Age

LG.
    I remember the first season of Big Brother had the same situation because Eddie (the eventual winner) was 19, and he got drunk off his ass with Josh and Curtis right before the finale, don't remember any consequences for CBS or Eddie.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Okay, I've done some research. Each state has different laws. Here are California's:

California
    - No one under the age of 21 is allowed to consume or possess alcohol. It's illegal to drive a motor vehicle with a BAC of .01 or more if under the age of 21. For anyone 21 years of age or older may not drive if they have a BAC of .08 or higher.
    http://www.youthrights.org/dastatelist.html

Case law reveals this California statute:

25658. (a) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (c), every person who sells, furnishes, gives, or causes to be sold, furnished, or given away, any alcoholic beverage to any person under the age of 21 years is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/bpc/25657%2D25667.html

Interesting, only the provider may be charged, not the underage drinker, unless they are publicly intoxicated or consuming on public property.

FORT Newbie
    My wife and i talked about this last night as the show was very careful not to include her in any clips in the hot tub.

My guess is BB can't give her alcohol but if the guests do, then it is on them. I would imagine though they will never show her in a clip with a drink in her hand, or tell her to always put it in a plastic cup ... just like you did in college.

Yeah Cali, she wasn't very happy about that at all. It even got her points on her school record. If you got over 15 points on your record you were expelled.

Interesting point everyone. I mentioned once before I am not a teetotaler...have no problems with a little drinking. But BB, in the past two years especially, seems to be feeding the contestants lots of alcohol, probably to keep the action going. Of course, some of those morons would do anything with or without the booze; but you can bet your bippy the drinks really help move things along.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

FORT Newbie
    Every reality show focuses on the booze. Look at every dating show and the amount of champaign and wine drank. The last bachelor showed a girl puking from drinking too much.

Real World set the standard for this, and frankly it makes for more interesting TV. And as Jupiter pointed out, you have people who would do anything before consuming alcohol, it makes it all the better when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by aristiger
    Every reality show focuses on the booze. Look at every dating show and the amount of champaign and wine drank. The last bachelor showed a girl puking from drinking too much.

Real World set the standard for this, and frankly it makes for more interesting TV. And as Jupiter pointed out, you have people who would do anything before consuming alcohol, it makes it all the better when they do.
    AND the show(s) probably get some sort of sponsorship money too. I couldnt help but notice the cans of MGD they were drinking last night!! I know Dana had one in her hand....
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

LG.
    different states do have different laws, but all of the state have increased their "legal drinking age" to 21 because those that didn't lost their federal highway funding back in the 1980s (like Wisconsin did) and then raised it to 21 because we love having the federal government dictate every damn rule all across the nation, just like they are doing now with 0.08.

Sorry, little federalist moment there.

Oh, and even though they are "21 as the legal age" the states do have different rules, such as in some states it is legal for folks under 21 to consume alcohol in a public place with your parents. Not to mention the religious exemptions for folks under 21 consuming wine, etc. . .

I'm sure BB is all over it, and edits the shows heavily, but live feeds, well, there's just a lot of opportunities for something to go public there.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Ph.D. Pending
    I agree that the alcohol in some of these shows seem to be as important in moving the show along as the immunity and reward type challenges. But I think with the live feeds available for this show, if Michelle drinks (which I've read elsewhere she has a little) then I would think CBS is opening themselves up for some legal difficulties because they are providing the access to alcohol - it isn't like the houseguests ran down to the store to get it themselves.

but like the post of the law says, its a misdemeanor... big deal!!! The producers would probably let her drink and edit it out for the tv spots and if an atf or whatever agent in Calif is looking at the live feeds and sees her imbiding, then the producers only get a slap on the hand instead of jail time.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast