+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Nathan Marlow

FORT Newbie
    I guess since i joined the forum, i'll pipe up

bland -that's the only word that comes to mind to describe him.

and i don't know how to do all that fancy schmancy stuff ya'll do!

to the site kellygirl

I know we haven't seen a whole lot of his personality so far, but at the momeny he's not doing much for me either.
    I'm getting that "Hardy" vibe I feared I would.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Newbie
    Sorry to be blunt...but I think it's kinda funny and sad that in our society...guys who look good will automatically get labeled as being "gay" by other guys who are not attractive and simple jealous...or girls who couldn't get them because they are not in the same league as them...it's either jealousy from guys who were hit by the ugly stick...or girls who can't get them so they justify it with "He must be gay"...Funny how no one addresses that when it's such an obvious fact...Hey, if you think it's ok to be blunt and call out a gay you don't knows sexuality based on a picture...it's ok to be blunt and infer why attractive men with good genes get labeled as being 'gay' by jealous haters...Don't protest to much or it will show my theory hit to close to home

I don't know, or care whether he's gay.
    The fact of the matter is though, they do generally have a gay man on the show so I imagine people are just getting their guesses in early this time as to who they think it might be.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by Movie Star7
    Sorry to be blunt...but I think it's kinda funny and sad that in our society...guys who look good will automatically get labeled as being "gay" by other guys who are not attractive and simple jealous...or girls who couldn't get them because they are not in the same league as them...it's either jealousy from guys who were hit by the ugly stick...or girls who can't get them so they justify it with "He must be gay"...Funny how no one addresses that when it's such an obvious fact...Hey, if you think it's ok to be blunt and call out a gay you don't knows sexuality based on a picture...it's ok to be blunt and infer why attractive men with good genes get labeled as being 'gay' by jealous haters...Don't protest to much or it will show my theory hit to close to home
    Eh, whatever. I live not too far from an area of Chicago known as "Boystown". It's a fabulous neighborhood populated largely by gay men. I'm one of the least homophobic people on the planet, but - and my gay male friends (of which I have quite a few) and I have had this exact conversation where they've given tons of examples of its truth - you can often look at a young gay man and see certain style conventions that would indicate homosexuality. Am I saying this because I can't get an attractive man? Nope. That "methinks thou doth protest too much" argument doesn't hold much water. Gay men by and large are more well-groomed than straight guys. Broad generalization? Sure. Doesn't make it untrue. What's that new show that's going to be on Bravo? (Is it Bravo?) Something about the queer eye? Horrible name, but it lends credibility to my point.

Edit: Damn I hate typos.
    Last edited by Amanda; 07-09-2003 at 06:47 PM.

MovieStar, not that I necessarily need to justify myself to you, since you know absolutely nothing about me...But my best friend is gay, and several of my other friends as well.

All I'm saying is that Nathan gives my "gaydar" a little tingle. It has absolutely nothing to do with jealousy, and I hope no one would say I'm ugly.

Personally, I find that people who label other people as ugly or jealous based only on letters on a screen are empty and shallow. See how it feels?

FORT Newbie
    Some made a label toward this guy they don't know...and I said where I think those people are coming from and labeled them and I don't know them...So to say I can't infer why people call someone they know nothing about 'gay' is hypocrisy because you know nothing about him either yet that doesn't stop you from making accusations...which is fine...but ajg113...no offense but your reasoning was absolutely weak! So you truly look at a young man...size him up...and decide in your mind thanks to your 'gaydar' (God, I hate that word!) if he's gay or straight...and if he looks clean, attractive, and groomed...he must be? So what is manly in your book? I'm just curious... a wife beating, alcoholic, preverted, dirty, belly scratching, unshaven neanderthal? Then your missing out on some good looking, clean, groomed STRAIGHT men who could be potential dates, boyfriends or even Mr.right...But you do admit that that's a stereotype, right? I mean to say nearly all groomed and attractive men must be gay is a stereotype...we can agree on that atleast I hope? And I've seen many men who are as masculine as a line backer and gay, and many woman as feminine as a beauty queen and lesbian. To hell with gender approrpiate stereotypes ...Let people be without judging them...and trying to analyze them and how they look....dang...lol who does that?
    And I do hope you meet some straight men who clean, cook, are stylish, groom, attractive and can defy all your preconcieved notions of how a real straight "man" is suppose to be...
    Hope you didn't take any offense to my post because it was not meant to eb offensive at all.

Movie Star, I think I see what you're saying, and I agree with you in principle. It would be nice to live in a world where nobody labeled anyone else and stereotypes didn't exist. Perhaps if you worded your thoughts in a less abrasive manner, you'd get more favorable responses. Do I consider "a wife beating, alcoholic, perverted, dirty, belly scratching, unshaven Neanderthal" manly? Not particularly. Nor do I think that gay men aren't manly. And yes - many gay men don't fit the stereotype. Those are the ones who don't generally set off people's gaydar. (Gaydar *is* a stupid word, but it's apt.) This Nathan fella may well not be gay, but as others have said, he looks the stereotypical part. Now whether or not we like stereotypes, it's naive to believe that they don't exist. Furthemore, it's even more naive to believe that some people don't fit stereotypical bills. That doesn't necessarily have to have a negative connotation. You say that people should be allowed to be who they are without anyone judging and analyzing them. That's a beautiful idea, in theory. In practice, human nature prevents it from being a realistic request.

As far as my reasoning being weak, as long as the gay men in my life find it valid, I'll stick with it. They were the ones who honed my gaydar, after all.

And my preconceived notions are really much more complex than you seem to grasp. My mother is a lesbian (for those of you thinking "tmi!", I'm completely comfortable with this fact, so I don't mind revealing it). I'm more familiar with homosexual nuances than you might think.

Thank you, and enjoy the FoRT!

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavroche
    Hmmm... I thought he might be gay too... none of them are? hmmm...this is something new for reality tv!
    LOL! yeah, where is the token gay man??

Hmm... I would think that after Marcellus last season, that they would want a less stereotypical gay guy and a more stereotypical black guy, maybe?

I mean no offense to anybody reading this, but Marcellus was quite a character. I'm sure many homosexual men and many black men felt very "unrepresented" last season. Then again, the asain population perhaps felt less represented last season. Oh well, I don't do the casting...

+ Reply to Thread