+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Is Amanda a bully? What actions cross a line on BB?

Gamer Chick & Principal bearwme1's Avatar

Re: 8/26 - BB15 Live Feed Discussion

Thanks Miss Scarlet. I remember there being some controversy. Wow! I forgot that we voted then. Wish we could vote again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was just "evicted" first. The other HG's nominated him & the stripper girl. Then they made a big deal about his behavior & the viewers voted him out.
    Back then the HG's just nominated by popular vote. The top 2 were put on the block. There was no HOH, nor were there any Vetos nor any way off the block. Then the viewers voted on who to evict.
    The viewers had much more say back then. The people who caused any drama were immediately put on the block by the other HG's. Then people who irritated the viewers (like Amanda does now) were gone quickly.

Ultimately, this left the house with little to no drama & a bunch of "nice" people. A lot of people complained that it left the house boring. The show didn't get the conflict they were hoping for. This is why they changed it on Season 2.

Re: Is Amanda a bully? What actions cross a line on BB?

This is a serious topic for me, as a teacher. I've personally had a student attempt suicide over bullying. She's not a "pussy". She was tired of people getting away with constant harassment and threats. Nothing was ever done to her tormentors. She tried to end it.
    redsox girl likes this.

Is Amanda a bully? What actions cross a line on BB?

I'm sorry your student felt there was no other option I understand what it's like to be bullied. I was tortured every day for 12 years. I certainly wasn't a p**** and it wasn't my fault it happened either. Kids were horrible to me just because I didn't fit into their version of pretty because I had a cleft lip. It wasn't my fault that I was born that way.

♫~Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ~♫Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ♫~Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ~♫
    ~* stacerace76 *~
    ♫~Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ~♫Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ♫~Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ~♫

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amanda is a bully because she uses intimidation tactics. That alone makes her a bully.

Th other stuff she does, like this kazoo thing & getting in people's (Elissa's) personal space...that just makes her an idiot. Really childish. The woman is emotionally stunted.

Back in season 8, I couldn't believe nothing happened to Dick for pouring tea over Jen's head. That was way over the line & I hope they made a rule after that.
    cablejockey and my2girlz11 like this.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

To blame the victim of bullying in anyway, is just disgusting. To continue to perpetuate it by calling someone a wuss or a pussy? I just find that apprehensible and morally irresponsible. Name calling (which is what that is) IS bullying. With all the children that try to kill themselves as early as the elementary school years, bullying is a very serious problem in our society, and should be treated as such. There are tools that can be taught to those that find themselves at the receiving end of the stick, but the only real way to battle this is to acknowledge this is a real problem, not to blame the innocent parties, and to continue with the strict regulations at schools and the work place.

In being heavily involved in the Autism community - I have seen this kind of behavior at schools all too often, and it is sickening how some children behave. On the other hand, I have also witnessed some amazingly sweet and kind children take these kids under their wings as well.

The way that Amanda acts now, I can only imagine what she was like in high school. *shudder*
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Fogey

As to what crosses the line, I think that a BIG factor is what is revealed in the diary room. To some degree, behavior that can be considered bullying can be game play. Evil Dick is a great example of that. When a houseguest behaves in a belligerent way, but in the diary room explains that it is part of his/her game play, I'm okay with it. The mental aspect of this game is HUGE, and something that i think we in the audience forget about often. Andy has done some sneaky things in the game, but in the diary room he's confessed that he feels bad about it. I"m okay with that, because he's showing that he gets the difference between right and wrong. What really bothers me about Amanda is that she shows no signs in the diary room that she thinks her behavior is wrong, but needs to do things to win the game. As game play, it would make total sense to me that she'd make the life miserable of anyone who goes against her, to send a signal to other people in the house not to touch her. That approach has essentially kept her in the game this long. But I don't forgive it or write it off as game play with her, because the comments she's made in the diary room only reinforce her behavior and thoughts - she doesn't show any remorse or explanation.
    bearwme1 likes this.

I think last night I may have heard on BBAD Amanda crying about Elissa being (some kind of awful) ???? and she added "and look like that".

She is just so jealous/envious of Elissa and her life ... I wish they would just have a comp where they could paint her green.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Call me a p*ssy, but I thought Amanda crossed the line when she degraded Candice with racial slurs. The same can be said for Gina Marie and Aaryn. That this behavior alone is not bad enough for a penalty in the eyes of TPTB, says some pretty awful things about this world. There's no way to honestly defend Amanda. She's repugnant. Vile. Monstrous in her vindictiveness. Gameplay tactics? That's an excuse to minimize her behavior and trivialize how that behavior impacts those around her. Amanda is a grown up bully and grown up bullies exist. they are not a rarity, by any means. That they go unpunished carries back to childhood and teen years in which those bullied are shunned by everyone else for fear of being targeted themselves. I also noticed comments in which victims of bullying are assumed to be somehow `weaker' than the average person. That's a stereotype. People can be picked at random. Also, to say bullying is an overused term reinforces the message to victims that they should just quit whining and take it. Like they are the problem, not the person being inappropriate. I just don't get it. So many children and teenagers have committed suicide and we still don't take bullying as the devastating action that it is. Those who survive bullying into adulthood report that the endless taunts they experienced in youth still deeply affect their sense of worth and self perception. So I say to anyone who thinks someone who is bullied is over reacting or that adults aren't bullies, your attitude is part of the larger issue. Lack of compassion, empathy and intervention on behalf of anyone, child or adult, who is being taunted, is why bullies have so much power. Look at how everyone stayed silent and looked away when Amanda taunted Candice or when Gina Marie hurled insults at Candice. That silence was more troubling to me than what Gina Marie and Amanda (and Aaryn) did to Candice. Because it let Candice know none of these people were willing to take the risk to stand up for and beside her. The people who are really weak aren't the targets, it's those who remain silent observers to what they know is morally inexcusable behavior.
    I do want to clarify my remarks-one houseguest other than Howard spoke up on behalf of Candice during the bedroom flipping of the mattress fiasco-it was Jessie. She actually did tell the others to stop. So, Now knowing that I like her even more. It's a shame she or Candice didn't return. Because neither was a wallflower when it came to Amanda. Neither was afraid of her or intimidated. And they called her out for what she is.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Thank you RedSox Girl for your enlightening essay on Bullying. You increased my awareness and ability to respond appropriately whenever I am faced with these issues in my life.
    Candy
    redsox girl likes this.

Gamer Chick & Principal bearwme1's Avatar

Wow! Very sell said and absolutely true.

I've had to call parents of second grade boys because during journaling they wrote that they wanted to die and kill themselves because other people called them names or wouldn't talk to them. It is very disheartening. Sometimes, the parent of a bully will reveal themselves in a conference as a bully also. Not all of them of course. I guess when you see 2 -5th graders wanting to die, it just makes me have no tolerance for bullying at all on any level!

It's why I find Amanda's behavior so disturbing. She's an adult. My gracious, I wonder what she has left in her wake emotionally with others that she treated this way. Often people don't understand, until it happens to them or someone they love. I certainly hope it won't take bullying happening to one the the CBS/Big Brother producers children for them to realize that is is not acceptable at any age. Amanda needs to leave the game. I know it won't happen, but a girl can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    Call me a p*ssy, but I thought Amanda crossed the line when she degraded Candice with racial slurs. The same can be said for Gina Marie and Aaryn. That this behavior alone is not bad enough for a penalty in the eyes of TPTB, says some pretty awful things about this world. There's no way to honestly defend Amanda. She's repugnant. Vile. Monstrous in her vindictiveness. Gameplay tactics? That's an excuse to minimize her behavior and trivialize how that behavior impacts those around her. Amanda is a grown up bully and grown up bullies exist. they are not a rarity, by any means. That they go unpunished carries back to childhood and teen years in which those bullied are shunned by everyone else for fear of being targeted themselves. I also noticed comments in which victims of bullying are assumed to be somehow `weaker' than the average person. That's a stereotype. People can be picked at random. Also, to say bullying is an overused term reinforces the message to victims that they should just quit whining and take it. Like they are the problem, not the person being inappropriate. I just don't get it. So many children and teenagers have committed suicide and we still don't take bullying as the devastating action that it is. Those who survive bullying into adulthood report that the endless taunts they experienced in youth still deeply affect their sense of worth and self perception. So I say to anyone who thinks someone who is bullied is over reacting or that adults aren't bullies, your attitude is part of the larger issue. Lack of compassion, empathy and intervention on behalf of anyone, child or adult, who is being taunted, is why bullies have so much power. Look at how everyone stayed silent and looked away when Amanda taunted Candice or when Gina Marie hurled insults at Candice. That silence was more troubling to me than what Gina Marie and Amanda (and Aaryn) did to Candice. Because it let Candice know none of these people were willing to take the risk to stand up for and beside her. The people who are really weak aren't the targets, it's those who remain silent observers to what they know is morally inexcusable behavior.
    I do want to clarify my remarks-one houseguest other than Howard spoke up on behalf of Candice during the bedroom flipping of the mattress fiasco-it was Jessie. She actually did tell the others to stop. So, Now knowing that I like her even more. It's a shame she or Candice didn't return. Because neither was a wallflower when it came to Amanda. Neither was afraid of her or intimidated. And they called her out for what she is.
    redsox girl likes this.

+ Reply to Thread