+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Big Brother" Competitor's Possible N-Word Use Sparks Criticism

Castrate them balls Jam! Shechelle's Avatar

"Big Brother" Competitor's Possible N-Word Use Sparks Criticism

Internet reports that a "Big Brother" contestant dropped the N-word live on line the other day are "completely unconfirmed at this point" says exec producer Allison Grodner "I'm not even saying the word was used, but it's being said that it was used in terms of a bunch of guys talking, and it wasn't use of the N-word in the way you would think but as a colloquialism," she adds, referring to the racial epithet. The contestant was off-camera, but that's not keeping the suspected culprit's name out of blogs.

Last year, contestant Amber Siyavus was heard making anti-Semitic remarks on the CBS show. It led to a public outcry. Says Grodner, "These are people in a very intense situation who bring in their own points of view and prejudices, and sometimes they are things we certainly don't agree with." At the same time, she says, "We're not looking for anyone spreading hate speech."

As far as the most recent lapse, Grodner indicates there may be some sort of network statement forthcoming, but don't look for anyone being bounced off the show. What WOULD cause a "Big Brother" contestant to be ousted for behavioral reasons? "Physical violence is not tolerated in the house, as we saw on Season 2, and then of course on Season 4," Grodner says, referring to Scott Weintraub's expulsion after a violent outburst.

The current, Season 9, group is comprised of singles partnered with a potential 'soul mate'. They're younger than past groups, and "more emotional," Grodner finds.

At the same time "Big Brother 9" is playing out, Grodner and partner Rich Meehan are gearing up for "Big Brother 10" this coming summer. "We are casting, so people who are interested should submit their information," she says.

National Ledger - "Big Brother" Competitor's Possible N-Word Use Sparks Criticism

First James, now Matt, good job BB

I don't know if we can post Youtube links but if you do a search it will come up

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: "Big Brother" Competitor's Possible N-Word Use Sparks Criticism

oh, come on!!! as offensive as a word like that can be, these are supposed to be REAL PEOPLE living their REAL MOMENTS while we watch. OF COURSE there's going to be a jerk that utters something offensive to SOMEONE. what if i was offended by josh's insinuating that sheila was fat (using his "a whopping 131 pounds" comment)? big freaking deal!!!

a word is a word and it will only hurt if you let it.

Does Adam not calling the "autistic", but "ret--ds" instead qualify under that mantra?

I have found in my life some words can hurt very deeply. I believe in the damage mental and emotional abuse can have and the scars left, just as much as physical abuse.

In my book using a racial epitath (or degrading term) (by any race or group, against any race or group, at any time) is never funny or okay.

For me, of very thick skin, it does still "sting" to hear the "N-word", pure and simple.

Charlotte

Castrate them balls Jam! Shechelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2830194;
    oh, come on!!! as offensive as a word like that can be, these are supposed to be REAL PEOPLE living their REAL MOMENTS while we watch. OF COURSE there's going to be a jerk that utters something offensive to SOMEONE. what if i was offended by josh's insinuating that sheila was fat (using his "a whopping 131 pounds" comment)? big freaking deal!!!

a word is a word and it will only hurt if you let it.
    what about the people that want to watch a game show without hearing those words? the people that pay for the feeds, showtime etc. don't we all have the right to say that's not ok?

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

I agree it is offensive. But it isn't against the law. They can say what they want to......no matter how hurtful it maybe. Unfortunate, yes. But they do have freedom of speech.

Even though she won't confirm it, he absolutely did say it because I was watching that night and it was very clear and obvious. Also, earlier tonight I heard Adam say very clearly "what up my n****" which really offended me. I don't like it when anyone says that word no matter what color they are. That being said, they do have the freedom of speech and I don't think either of them meant anything offensive by it and in both cases it was not used malisciosly against anyone. They're both relatively commonly used expressions.
    Last edited by stacerace; 03-08-2008 at 02:17 AM.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

don't get me wrong ... i agree 100% that it was offensive (and i watched the video on youtube where he said it). but again, these are real people ... if i didn't want to watch real people being REAL, i'd watch a scripted movie or tv show. it's as simple as that. i don't have to agree with what spews out of their mouth.

yes, words hurt! and they leave lasting impact. this is something i know VERY well from my own childhood issues. but as i've gotten older, i've learned that the moment i choose to tell someone they cannot say something, i give them permission to tell me what i can and cannot say. i may not agree with what someone is saying or how they're saying it, but that is their RIGHT, no matter how disgusting and vile i think that person is.

i like watching the live feeds because i get to see the REAL person, not the edited version they portray on the tv show (e.g. matt and natalie???). it's not cbs's fault someone utters an offensive term.

some people are probably equally offended by my user name ... especially other gay women, but for me, i take ownership of the word and by doing that, i take the sting out of it for me. i refuse to let someone else make ME feel inferior without my permission, thank you very much.

That was very well said bfd, I agree with you 100%.

I agree BFD, great Elenanor Roosevelt quote, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

To play devils advocate, there is a big difference between calling someone a "N---ER", and saying "My N---AS" which is what was said. In today's world the latter has become a term of friendship, esspecially among the younger crowds. There is a distinct difference in how they used the word, it wasn't meant in malice or hate, but as a term of friendship. You can listen to hip hop and hear that word so many times in the exact same context. People can't take offense by one and not the other.

I don't recall anyone being offended by Josh's constant use of F-- when referring to himself. It is the same difference if you ask me. Then there is the constant use of words like C--t and B---h.

Quote Originally Posted by Shechelle;2830460;
    what about the people that want to watch a game show without hearing those words? the people that pay for the feeds, showtime etc. don't we all have the right to say that's not ok?
    People who watch the CBS show for free have a right not to hear those words, and to complain, because of FCC rules. People who pay for the feeds or for Showtime, however, understand that the content is unedited, and their only recourse is to stop paying for it. Which is how it should be.

You can hear racial epithets and much worse on any given movie that airs on Showtime. Why does BB suddenly ring the alarm?
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast