+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 9/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by gracie727
    She doesn't get picked so she's gone? What's the lesson in that?!
    How soon to forget! The lesson learned in the 1st episode: you got to make a good first impression!!
    Apparently, she didn't make a good one to other fellow contestants, so out the door she's gone...

Ok, I gave the show a second chance last night, but it really didn't hold my attention. I baked brownies, did my laundry, and talked on the phone during most of it. I just feel like the show mostly focuses on Mark. We don't really see enough about the people on it. So, I honestly care less when they get kicked off. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to go back to Antiques Roadshow next week.
    "To be is to do"--Socrates.
    "To do is to be"--Jean-Paul Sartre.
    "Do be do be do"--Frank Sinatra

I'm the queen of misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by Nghe
    How soon to forget! The lesson learned in the 1st episode: you got to make a good first impression!!
    Apparently, she didn't make a good one to other fellow contestants, so out the door she's gone...
    I think the lesson she learned was not to be a woman. Since the team captains each picked only members of the opposite gender and there was only one male captain, the writing was on the wall for one of the women. I don't think the captains picked based on what quality of person you were or what sort of relationships you had developed (in the short day or two they had to do so). It seems to me the obnoxious William wouldn't have been picked if the individuals' qualities were being considered. One of the rather ridiculous aspects of this show is how Cuban tries to come up with some valid reason for the cutting of each contestant, so that it will seem like an "educational" show. The medical student didn't "deserve" to be cut because she didn't impress the others, nor does Jenga prove your steely nerves, nor was Mario losing his desire or competitive edge. All of these people got cut for random reasons, and then Cuban or his writers came up with a story to explain away the reasons, so we can all learn from their mistakes. If Cuban thinks we can learn anything from this show, he's taking himself way too seriously...

FORT Fogey

Not only that... but who seriously doesn't know that it is important to make a good impression, or to try to get along with their collegues, or to remain calm under pressure situations? :rolleyes

****I think it's unfortunate that so many folks look at his show and compare it to The Apprentice, because this show is actually completely different. I will keep watching the show.*****

Have to quote this and I see that someone already mentioned this a few before me but...

Even Mark Cuban is shoving some "Apprenticeisms" in his show. Telling the kids one of them will be running one of his companies after the "boardroom"?
    I have to admit I giggled.

I'll keep watching, but that's because I'm a reality junkie and I'll watch anything that involves "everyday" people in "everyday" situations (ha ha). It does seem unpredictable but I'm a little weirded out by how much Mark Cuban seems to crush on that bartender.

They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie
    I think the Benefactor can be compared to the writings of Shakespeare. On the surface if you just read the words, Shakespeare is very hard to understand. As the reader ponders and explores the meaning of the words the story takes on a entirely new meaning. The same is true with the Benefactor. You have to think about the underlying reasons tasks are chosen and compare them to the business principles Mark is trying to teach. This is a show that has entertainment as well as educational value. You can't just watch the tasks and not consider the meaning behind them. You need to dig deeper and think about how the tasks compare to real life. I personally like the show. I consider it a real privilege to learn principles of success from a self made billionaire. Thanks Mark for allowing us to get a glimpse of what true success in business is all about.
    Well said, Jennie! I agree with you!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennie
    I think the Benefactor can be compared to the writings of Shakespeare. On the surface if you just read the words, Shakespeare is very hard to understand. As the reader ponders and explores the meaning of the words the story takes on a entirely new meaning. The same is true with the Benefactor. You have to think about the underlying reasons tasks are chosen and compare them to the business principles Mark is trying to teach. This is a show that has entertainment as well as educational value. You can't just watch the tasks and not consider the meaning behind them. You need to dig deeper and think about how the tasks compare to real life. I personally like the show. I consider it a real privilege to learn principles of success from a self made billionaire. Thanks Mark for allowing us to get a glimpse of what true success in business is all about.
    I not even sure how to respond to this.
    The benefactor is not hard to understand. In fact, after every task, Mark makes sure you know why he picked it. It doesn't ever make sense, but he lets you know. As I mentioned in the previous post, who really needs this education? Everthing he talks about is pretty much common knowledge.

I'm not knocking those of you who enjoy the show, more power to you...
    But don't try to tell me that the reason we don't get it is we are not digging deeply enough. I get it. I just think, that unlike Shakespeare, MCuban has had very little that's worthwhile to say.

Quote Originally Posted by touque
    I'm starting to think that Mark got his money the same way one of his contestants will. LUCK!!
    As Mark explained last night, luck has played a huge roll in his success. There is a big difference between working hard and being in the right place at the right time and winning a lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfuhippie
    I won't bail on the show yet, unless something better comes on...but it has been a lot of nonsense so far - eliminating someone because they lost Jenga?
    I think you're missing the point, the interviews were used to pick the three least deserving people to stay, the most deserving person got eliminated then the other two were given a second chance. Someone didn't get eliminated by losing Jenga, someone got to stay by winning Jenga.

On a related note, I don't understand why so many people are down on using Jenga, it's no better or worse then the other ridiculous "tasks" reality contestants are put through -- Survivor: I can't believe someone was eliminated because their team lost the obstacle course. Early childhood Jenga-trauma maybe...

FORT Newbie
    [QUOTE=cwipperman]
    Take a look at tonight's challenge. Team 3 - that ended up coming up short on time... Why not stop at the store on the way back to the house and get stuff to make Ice Cream Sundae's?

I was hoping Team 3 would break out the Jenga set and let William take him on!

William vs MCuban in a Jenga match! Winner takes $1 mil!!!

+ Reply to Thread