+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 9/20 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Fort Fan

Benefactor and Shakespeare

I think the Benefactor can be compared to the writings of Shakespeare. On the surface if you just read the words, Shakespeare is very hard to understand. As the reader ponders and explores the meaning of the words the story takes on a entirely new meaning. The same is true with the Benefactor. You have to think about the underlying reasons tasks are chosen and compare them to the business principles Mark is trying to teach. This is a show that has entertainment as well as educational value. You can't just watch the tasks and not consider the meaning behind them. You need to dig deeper and think about how the tasks compare to real life. I personally like the show. I consider it a real privilege to learn principles of success from a self made billionaire. Thanks Mark for allowing us to get a glimpse of what true success in business is all about.

I agree with you Jennie.

This is a guy that has reached many goals in life. He no longer has to try to impress anyone - or put up a front. He can be who he wants to be - and if you don't like him... so what. I think the concept for the show is great. I think it's unfortunate that so many folks look at his show and compare it to The Apprentice, because this show is actually completely different. I will keep watching the show. I think that for the folks that are bailing after two episodes - you are missing the point of what Cuban is trying to prove. He's trying to prove that if you take the time to listen to what folks tell you (especially folks that have been successful), then you can learn how to be successful yourself.

Take a look at tonight's challenge. Team 3 - that ended up coming up short on time. Mark didn't say that he needed to see flaming chainsaw juggling to be entertained.... he just didn't want to sit and do nothing. Why not stop at the store on the way back to the house and get stuff to make Ice Cream Sundae's? I mean... they screwed up because they didn't listen to what he told them - and they sat in lounge chairs.

For those wanting to bail on the show, I say give it a chance. It may not be the most action packed reality show out there - but if anything you just might learn something from Cuban that could make a difference in your life.

I won't bail on the show yet, unless something better comes on...but it has been a lot of nonsense so far - eliminating someone because they lost Jenga? Or because they weren't picked by your team captains? If Cuban did come up with this game, he's no Mark Burnett. There are no rules or structure to the game which is what builds the tension in Survivor or The Apprentice. His "lessons" are awfully forced, I don't think anyone is going to learn to be a billionaire from guessing what would keep Cuban amused for 3 hours. He does come off as a dork who wants everybody to pay attention to him, and in a more obnoxious way than Trump. At least Trump doesn't expect us to think he's cool. What it does have going for it is what reality shows in general have going for them; a bunch of people put together revealing their characters to us and to each other. Naturally we will find people to root for and against. William was a pathetic dweeb, who next year, will have no more money than he does this year. There is a certain amount of satisfaction in seeing him sent home, as there will be with when the second grade teacher who "hates women with a passion" gets cut.(I don't want my daughter in her class!) With apologies to Jennie, Shakespeare it ain't, but it may provide a few moments of amusement by the end of its run.

Just starting to watch it here on the West coast.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by kungfuhippie
    I won't bail on the show yet, unless something better comes on...but it has been a lot of nonsense so far - eliminating someone because they lost Jenga? Or because they weren't picked by your team captains? If Cuban did come up with this game, he's no Mark Burnett. There are no rules or structure to the game which is what builds the tension in Survivor or The Apprentice. His "lessons" are awfully forced, I don't think anyone is going to learn to be a billionaire from guessing what would keep Cuban amused for 3 hours. He does come off as a dork who wants everybody to pay attention to him, and in a more obnoxious way than Trump. At least Trump doesn't expect us to think he's cool. What it does have going for it is what reality shows in general have going for them; a bunch of people put together revealing their characters to us and to each other. Naturally we will find people to root for and against. William was a pathetic dweeb, who next year, will have no more money than he does this year. There is a certain amount of satisfaction in seeing him sent home, as there will be with when the second grade teacher who "hates women with a passion" gets cut.(I don't want my daughter in her class!) With apologies to Jennie, Shakespeare it ain't, but it may provide a few moments of amusement by the end of its run.

I hate cocky men and I was very happy when Will got the boot!!! He should of been gone last week, but he got lucky in the Jenga game.

I also hate people that hates other ladies as well. How can Shawn be a 2nd grade teacher if she doesn't like other ladies? I can't wait to see her gone too although she will be harder to eliminate that Will was. With 4 cuts next week, she might just get her way and be in the game with all men!!!
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

I really like this show.

My favorite part tonight was when Mark told the three kids to come back next week to his board room and he would give one of them the chance to run his company.

I'm not sure why some people are so vitriolic in their dislike of this show. Maybe it's not the absolute best on tv, but it is entertaining, clever at times, different and unexpected. And I personally think it's a hell of a lot better than Big Brother.

I'm also glad that Mark pointed out to Shawn that she barely squeaked by with the kids, she needs to get that smug smile wiped off her face.
    Last week, Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally. ~ Napoleon Dynamite

FORT Fogey
    Well, so far I don't like the way they are cutting people. It just seems so *random* especially in the case of the female medical student. She doesn't get picked so she's gone? What's the lesson in that?! Also, they are eliminating them so fast this must be a 5 week show because we'll be out of contestants in another couple of weeks. There is almost no chance to find out much about them before they are cut!

I never watched these reality TV shows until this year. Now I'm watching more of them and I'm finding things I like about some of them (like I LOVE the Amazing Race) and I'm finding things I don't like about others.

This particular show, "The Benefactor," doesn't seem to have a cohesiveness about it or a sense of purpose. In other words, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

It seems like a forum for a wealthy person to dangle a bunch of puppets around while offering the reward of $1,000,000 to the last puppet still hanging by a thread. (Please note: Strings can be cut at any time for any reason -- this is similar to pulling the legs off insects to see how long they can live.)

This could have been a much better show given the size of the prize.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    She doesn't get picked so she's gone? What's the lesson in that?!
    It would seem the lesson is to make yourself valuable to the group, so you are the first one picked to stay . Not the last one everyone wants. IE - no-one saw any redeeming qualities in you. This cut ( in itself ) is no different than a survivor cut.

I like this show--and what I like about it is that it IS seemingly more arbitrary than some of the others.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    I like this show for its entertainment value. It takes up an hour of my time, which is a lot less value than Mark's time. I think he's trying to show that it is not just one thing that made him a millionaire. Hard work, for sure,....luck,....maybe being in the right place at the right time,....hopefully owning up when you've made a mistake and learning from that mistake. And I am guessing that since I am so right, Mark will be so kind as to give me $5,000 for my correct answers, also taking into account that I have not slandered anyone, or caused them to lose face, or shoved anyone out of my way. What do you say, Mark?

+ Reply to Thread