+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 11/06/07 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/06/07 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by gracie727;2653283;
    Sam says some really funny things but he's really not a dumb guy.
    It's hard not to think of him as a "plant." He is totally dominating the challenges. The other "beauties" barely stand a chance against him.

FORT Fogey

Re: 11/06/07 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2655566;
    It's hard not to think of him as a "plant." He is totally dominating the challenges. The other "beauties" barely stand a chance against him.
    I'm hoping it gets down to a Shay/Joshua and Dave/Jasmine final 4. While Shay and Jasmine will never win any intellectual awards, they both definitely have some of the best people skills in the house.

FORT Newbie

Re: Beauty and the Geek 11/6 Recap: Más Tequila!

Isn't there a cash prize for this show? These couples are acting like that is not a factor. Not eliminating people because they have more growing to do seems like a theme this season...what about the cash? Aren't you in your mid-20's? Don't you need it? How can someone want to go home (even if they hate their partner)? For 125K, can't you just stick it out? I want to hear someone say we are sending X to the elimination room because we don't want them to have our money.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Smashus22;2659251;
    Isn't there a cash prize for this show? These couples are acting like that is not a factor.
    Will, during his post-elimination interview said it best: "The people aren't the obstacles to the prize, they are the prize."

Initially going, you're probably right. Many--or even most--of them would like the money, or at least it's a big, big factor for them.

But that's exactly where this show shines above so many others! Very quickly they realize Will's sentiment is spot-on, and the cash, while nice, becomes very secondary. (And realistically, they know their chances for the money are pretty slim anyway.)

Not eliminating people because they have more growing to do seems like a theme this season...what about the cash?
    For some (i.e. Sam, who really is in it just for money) that is a false sentiment designed just to convince others to eliminate teams in his way. I think the others truly believe it to one extent or another.

Aren't you in your mid-20's? Don't you need it?
    A (very) few might actually need the money. This does seem a lazy, dubious and very chancy way to earn it though; you'd have better chances at the track. For others it certainly would be nice. But most of the geeks seem gainfully employed, or well on their way to a good job. Many of the beauties also appear to have been doing just fine before the show. Also for the beauties, many of whom are in modeling or want to act, the exposure might be just as valuable.

How can someone want to go home (even if they hate their partner)? For 125K, can't you just stick it out?
    First off, after taxes and such, it's now down to 60 or 70K. Going by a statement I read Scooter made last year, they don't seem to be paid off in a very timely manner, so who knows when you see your money.

Second, if you feel you're financially secure enough, why put up with unneeded emotional stress for just a 1/4 chance (which is even lower than that considering Sam's dominance).

I want to hear someone say we are sending X to the elimination room because we don't want them to have our money.
    You have been hearing it, it just hasn't been phrased so honest and bluntly.

FORT Newbie

How can you say that their chances at the money are slim? Hey, it's a 1 in 10 chance to win if there are 10 teams. That's 10 percent. That's not bad if you ask me. Sure you may have better odds at the track or at a blackjack table but no way are you pulling in 70K if you win unless you bet a lot. Even if I did feel financially secure at that age, I'd still like the 70K....thanks very much. Seriously, is it just me? Screw feelings and emotion and growth...this is real money here. I just think it seems weird that these kids are acting like this isn't a reality show! Snap out of it!

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Smashus22;2660366;
    How can you say that their chances at the money are slim? Hey, it's a 1 in 10 chance to win if there are 10 teams.
    Are you sure about that?

That's 10 percent.
    While I don't have the degrees some of these geeks do, I'm quite capable of doing the math.

That's not bad if you ask me.
    It's not bad, especially since there's zero risk. And it's slim. I still say it's slim. If I were in their position, sure, why not take a crack at it and participate...but I wouldn't go in expecting to get the money.

Sure you may have better odds at the track or at a blackjack table but no way are you pulling in 70K if you win unless you bet a lot. Even if I did feel financially secure at that age, I'd still like the 70K....thanks very much. Seriously, is it just me?
    Unlikely.

Screw feelings and emotion and growth...this is real money here.
    Quite a few probably do go in with your "I'm just here for the money" attitude. But look, right from the start there are two things they're dealing with: a) The slim and remote possibility of 70K sometime in the nebulous future, or b) the very real, every single day you wake up in the mansion, 100% guaranteed emotional experience and education of interacting with all these other people. (As painful as it is, even Jen and William are learning something.)

I think it's great these kids don't have the cynicism you seem to have ("cynicism" is not quite the word I want, but it'll do for now) and are instead able to find something just as real, just as good, and arguably more important in the long run.

I just think it seems weird that these kids are acting like this isn't a reality show!
    If it were the way you wanted, what would be the point? You could just watch Survivor instead.

Snap out of it!
    Don't snap out of it!

Quote Originally Posted by francis e;2662410;
    Quite a few probably do go in with your "I'm just here for the money" attitude.
    And those who maintain that attitude beyond the first couple of days come out of the experience with absolutely nothing. Cecille was a prime example of how little such a venal attitude can get you in life, be it money, knowledge, growth or respect.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123