+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 11/06/07 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/06/07 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Dave really did a great job. Double back hand spring? They seem like a team that is totally enjoying each other.

I do love the way Shay looks at her partner (forgot his name). I can't help but smile through this show. It gives me such a good feeling!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly;2652991;
    Dave really did a great job. Double back hand spring? They seem like a team that is totally enjoying each other.

I do love the way Shay looks at her partner (forgot his name). I can't help but smile through this show. It gives me such a good feeling!
    Shay seems to really like Joshua, almost parental like.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;2652781;
    Jasmine cracks me up.

"Do they have hangers in Mexico?"
    You just gotta love Jazz! She is always good for a chuckle....

I'm sorry, but not having the quiz is just not right. Like Natalie(??) said "We wont be able to defend ourselves"

FORT Fogey

I finally got to see the show. That look that Dave had after Jasmine kissed him was precious! What shock!

I really like Shay & Joshua too. He's really really really geeky. He tries hard, but he's still geeky. Shay has an incredible amount of patience.

My third favorite team is Sam & Nicole though I'm hoping they won't win. Sam says some really funny things but he's really not a dumb guy.

FORT Regular

Dave, as much as I'm learning to like him, was a fool. How in the world can he listen and cave-in when Sam, winner of 4 challenges, says John&Natalie are the biggest threat? Dave just beat John at a challenge! John has won only one challenge (although I admit he's come close in two others). Dave&Jasmine stand a much better chance of winning anything if John&Natalie stay, either to help eliminate Sam, or go head to head with.

I'll just add in one more voice to the multitude in saying the elimination method absolutely sucked. Any teamwork involved? Nope. Any effort involved? Nope. Any applied measure if the individuals have embraced a change? Nope.

Blah.

Yes, I know it's just entertainment, a game first and foremost, and the "social experiment" line is pure BS. But it's not asking too much for the producers to pay at least some friggin' lip-service to the idea!

So...Ideal ending scenario:

Jen, in a fit of justified rage against William's -- I don't know, just about everything, I guess -- accidently punches Sam when he stumbles in on them. Sam, horrified at his own appearance, runs home to find enough tanning spray to cover the black eye. Jen, feeling guilty and annoyed for hitting the wrong guy decides to climb a mountain in Tibet and join a cult of blond, ex-athlete ascetic monks. William, finally seeing the light, runs back to his high-school, where all his previous tormentors terrorize him yet again. Nicole, now lonely (and depressed she hasn't come close to winning any challenge) leaves to become a Rabbi in Scranton, PA. Jasmine and Shay, so elated with their geeks' impressive transformations, and having each gone several weeks without no booty, decide a four-way is in order. The winner: Mike Richards, who tapes the whole thing and sells it on the internet.

. . . Hmm, probably not too likely.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;2653048;
    Shay seems to really like Joshua, almost parental like.
    That's right, Joshua, I forgot his name. The way they support each other is so touching.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I'm rooting for a Joshua/Shay and Dave/Jasmine finale because I just adore both of these couples and how far they have come and how close they are.

I think they sent the right team home because William/Jen are so dysfunctional that they are doing themselves in... they are not a threat to anybody but each other. Why not keep them around? And if the other team was too weak to speak up and vote out the team that they felt was a bigger threat to them... oh well.. lol.

Sad to see Natalie and John go and I'm more than ready to see Sam/Nicole get sent home because they don't seem to be adding much to the mix or advancing personally. They (at least by the editing) just seem to exist and that's it.

William? Is a baby.. a spoiled brat baby... and my hate for him (personality not as a person) knows no bounds. God.. how immature can a person be? Hate somebody just because they remind you of some bullies in school, that's insane. Boy has some serious issues.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyPSU;2652838;
    I fast forwarded to the end of my recording to spoil you west coasters.

Sam and Nicole and Dave and Jasmine were the 2 winning teams.

John and Natalie were eliminated.
    that pretty much ended the show for me

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2653765;
    I'm rooting for a Joshua/Shay and Dave/Jasmine finale because I just adore both of these couples and how far they have come and how close they are.
    I agree with you on that one. I loved John, but these two teams have really grown on me.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Regular

I think there is a certain inconsistency in what you're saying. Let's see if I can express this adequately...

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;2653765;
    Here, your view seems to be the couple who has gained the most from the social experience deserves to win. Yet here...

I think they sent the right team home because William/Jen are so dysfunctional that they are doing themselves in... they are not a threat to anybody but each other. Why not keep them around?
    The view seems to be that whoever is better at playing the game, e.g. identifying and eliminating threats, deserves to win.

I think these perspectives are somewhat at odds with each other.

Sad to see Natalie and John go and I'm more than ready to see Sam/Nicole get sent home because they don't seem to be adding much to the mix or advancing personally. They (at least by the editing) just seem to exist and that's it.
    If you're taking the game-playing perspective (as you second paragraph does), then it doesn't matter if Sam or Nicole have gained anything socially. Sam deserves to win because, well...because he's proven himself to be pretty much unbeatable.

Speaking to the social experience perspective, I tend to be uncomfortable with those who say some team "has gained/learned enough, they don't need to be on the show anymore" (or words to that effect). Those kinds of statements imply there's a fixed, close-ended value on some kind of scale for what constitutes "enough", and that any team who reaches that point sooner than another is somehow undeserving of a reward for their effort.

Instead, I believe this is really open-ended. No matter where a team starts from, or how much they have evolved and learned--either personally, with each other, or with everyone else--there is always more to learn and gain, always room for improvement. I think it's unfair to say because team A is now "good enough", through open-mindedness, effort, an epiphany or whatever, they are less deserving of winning than team B.
    It just seems to punish those teams which have really embraced the social experience.

William? Is a baby.. a spoiled brat baby... and my hate for him (personality not as a person) knows no bounds. God.. how immature can a person be? Hate somebody just because they remind you of some bullies in school, that's insane. Boy has some serious issues.
    Yes, he does. And it's all too easy to despise him. But the issues are very real, to him at least, and can't simply be overcome or dismissed with an airy "just get over it". We know so little of their day-to-day interaction thus far it's not funny. For instance, did you know she was constantly asking him if he thought she was fat? I didn't. So what else was going on? Is it unfair of him to compare her to the girls who tormented him in high-school? Probably. But . . . what if, not only looking like them, she acts like them and talks like them? We don't know one way or the other because we haven't seen it.

Now that they are forced to stay, there is a (very!) slim chance they can work something out. If he feels he's being pushed (as he was in this last episode) he's going to dig in and resist anything. Therefore, fair or not, right or not, it's going to require Jen make the first gesture. Merely saying "I'm ready to listen" is not enough. She'll have to drop any appearance of intimidation and make some kind of gentle, concilliatory approach, trying to understand and see things as he might. If she can really prove to him she's not like those others in high-school then there's a chance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast