+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2/7 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Fort Fashion Expert Kirsten1526's Avatar
    You know, I don't think it's beauties or geeks that are biased sometimes. I was at a party the other night and sometimes I can have my blonde moments even though I am intelligent. I didn't get a joke; I can be naive. A girl then told me that I should die my hair in order to get it, in a deragatory manner. I was very upset and offended.

Quote Originally Posted by user name;2238998;
    When they brought the dogs into the game, they tried to make it look like some big twist. I'm not believing there's a twist worth anything until I see it.
    When I saw that preview about the "third team member," I told hubby I bet it would be a dog. So predictable.

Right now I am rooting for Scooter, because I think I heard Nate say something along the lines of never having approached a beautiful girl before, which is like what I heard too many of the "geeks" say. It is a pernicious misconception that "beautiful" girls (which on this show only seems defined for the most part by how much they fiddle with hair, makeup, clothes, plucked eyebrows, fake nails and even boobs, etc., rather than natural "beauty") are somehow different from all other women. Why didn't they just date "girl geeks" and be happy about it?

A worst case example was the geek who got a makeover on that high school reunion show. Too many times on these shows I see a "geek" who, after describing how they hated being rejected by the "beautiful" girls, wants nothing more than to date them the first chance he gets, instead of appreciating all the other women in the world who are equal to or better than them. That makes all their "pain" at being rejected sound hypocritical, as they are being just as shallow.

Of the last two geeks standing on this show, Scooter is the one who has not expressed that attitude. Nate has not expressed it in the extreme, and I still really like him, but I was disappointed to hear he bought into that at all. And that Scooter's partner is worlds away a better choice than the infamous CC goes without saying.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Good points about the men, Harvest.

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder. I think CC and Megan are hags, but, since they aren't geeks, I guess they are considered beauties on the show. While these guys may zero in on superficial beauty (don't most guys) for a time I can't see any of them settling for it. Because they were on this show, they are likely to have more success with this type of woman and I say let them enjoy it long enough to realize it isn't enough. As long as they use protection they shouldn't catch anything but a big clue about what they don't want their future to look like.

I like how Niels pointed out that even "beauties" have issues when CC was on her crazy rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten1526;2240471;
    I like how Niels pointed out that even "beauties" have issues when CC was on her crazy rant.
    Wasn't he the geek that said the geeks seem to have better social skills than the beauties?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten1526;2239148;
    I was at a party the other night and sometimes I can have my blonde moments even though I am intelligent. I didn't get a joke; I can be naive. A girl then told me that I should die my hair in order to get it, in a deragatory manner. I was very upset and offended.
    That is terrible! As a brunette, I can say we also have our 'blonde' moments :wink

Oy, I'm a brunette and even I am offended at that.
    I actually don't get jokes a lot of times. Usually it's a very low-brow joke to begin with though, so I'm actually proud that I don't get it.

Maybe you should have countered with something like (said very politely)
    "I'm sorry, I guess my sense of humour is just a rung or two up the ladder from yours"
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I will definitely keep that in mind. I just think it's sad when people judge a book by its cover. Happy Valentines Day everyone!

Most "blonds" today are created unnaturally so the expression "having a blond moment" is more a mental lapse rather than appearance anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast