+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beauty and the Geek 3 set for January 3rd

I would love to see a "geeky girl/ hunky guy" version.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;2195377;
    I think the show is awesome. Not only does it have tremendous enterainment value, it offers a very healthy social message. One that our society is way overdue for, i.e. we all have stories (and baggage) - even the prettiest and smartest of the bunch. We all have to remember that at the end of the day, we are all just humans trying to make our way.
    If you are able to extract such a message from the show, then I applaud you for finding a pearl in the swine. But I think it does nothing rather than further reinforce already existing preconceptions about people. I will say this, at least the show doesn't pretend it's trying to forge relationships between these people.

And don't let anyone fool you, "geek" is a derogatory term. "beauty" is not.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by princessKIM;2195631;
    It will never happen. It's acceptable for the guys to be geeky, even unattractive--although do note that many of them are actually kind of cute-- because they have the prospect of high income, at which point they can purchase one of these, uh, "beauties." It's not acceptable for women to be unattractive on tv, and wouldn't be acceptable for them to be obviously smarter than the men and destined for higher income careers. Also, I think the reality is that smart women are unlikely to be interested in overtly dumb, narcissistic men.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boxhill;2196055;
    It will never happen. It's acceptable for the guys to be geeky, even unattractive--although do note that many of them are actually kind of cute-- because they have the prospect of high income, at which point they can purchase one of these, uh, "beauties." It's not acceptable for women to be unattractive on tv, and wouldn't be acceptable for them to be obviously smarter than the men and destined for higher income careers. Also, I think the reality is that smart women are unlikely to be interested in overtly dumb, narcissistic men.
    i have to agree ... the only time women are accepted as "unattractive" is when they're on some kind of makeover show, or on a show called "ugly betty" where they think they've MADE someone "unattractive".

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Well, in the interview a couple of pages earlier in this thread it says they are planning to do it "someday".

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;2195377;
    I think the show is awesome. Not only does it have tremendous enterainment value, it offers a very healthy social message. One that our society is way overdue for, i.e. we all have stories (and baggage) - even the prettiest and smartest of the bunch. We all have to remember that at the end of the day, we are all just humans trying to make our way.
    This is one of my favorite reality shows too. Part of the fun of it is watching the interactions between people. I never expected this show to become a favorite of mine -- but it did!!

Entertainment Weekly wants that version to. Well at least the writer wants it. This is what she wrote to Beauty and the Geek in their latest issue:

Quote Originally Posted by Whitney Pastorek, writer for Entertainment Weekly;2195631;
    Dearest Beauty and the Geek,
    Happy third season! We used to love you for giving the oft-neglected bimbo and nerd communities the chance to shine, but you can only trot that trope out so many times before it gets stale---and before your cast members start to seem just a little too cast-membery. (A shaggy guy who wears trucker hats, sings in a "Star Wars tribute band," and is suspiciously good at stand-up comedy? That's not a geek, kids; that's a SAG-cardchasing wannabe actor. Dare I say, executive producer Ashton Kutcher, that you've been punk'd?) Here's a suggestion: Somewhere out there are eight brilliant but socially inept women. And certainly, you could come up with eight hunky, clueless dudes. Why not toss those two groups togther for next season? (We're still waiting for NBC's promised Average Joe spin-off called Average Jane.) I bet you a case of Clearasil that peo9ple would watch. Need proof? Here's a hint: Its initials are Ugly Betty.

Duh,
    Whitney Pastorek

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by boxhill;2196055;
    Absolutely correct. But, smart men are equally uninterested in overtly dumb, narcissistic women, as actual human beings that is. Any man, smart or dumb is interested in a beatiful woman as a sexual object.

If you go to the link, there is a picture of Nate with shorter hair and minus bushy beard. Does he still look as though he's a geek?

Local brains meet beauty in TV version of reality
    'Geek' raids MIT, Harvard for new season

By Janice O'Leary, Globe Correspondent | January 14, 2007

They get to live in a mansion filled with gorgeous, scantily clad women, but they're about as far as you can get from being Hugh Hefner. They're nerds. Our nerds.

Nathan Dern , a Harvard University senior , and Matthew Herman , a recent MIT graduate , are starring in the third season of a CW Network reality television show, "Beauty and the Geek," which had its two-hour season premiere Jan. 3.

In the show, which airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. on Channel 56, eight geeky guys pair up with eight beautiful women to compete for a $250,000 prize .

Dern, a social anthropology major, had never heard of the show before being approached by the show's scouts as he was handing out fliers for his Star Wars tribute band on the Harvard campus.

And after being chosen, he said, "It was intimidating being around all those beauties. I'm sort of a self-conscious person, and at first I thought they'd never talk to me."

But teaming up was required for going after the prize, and Herman said the women were serious about gunning for the loot.

"Every one of them wanted the money more than the guys," who have their college educations to fall back on, Herman said.

The 22-year-olds say the show, which was taped about six months ago in California, is meant to be entertainment, not social commentary.

Nevertheless, Dern said, "The show is pretty sexist. It tries to show that you can't judge people on first appearances, but part of the humor is looking at hot girls do dumb things.

"There was pressure to continue in the same roles," he said. "The girls still have to look good."

They can't reveal the show's outcome, but both were anxious about seeing themselves on television for the first time.

A now-shorn Dern -- he's preparing for job and graduate school interviews -- watched the first episode in the common room of his Harvard dorm, since he doesn't own a television.

It was "surreal to watch myself," he said, "but surprisingly emotional . . . I was pretty overwhelmed meeting everyone and felt really bad about sending one team off." The experience convinced him that he'd be more comfortable watching it by himself.

Herman hosted 30 people in his one-bedroom apartment in the Back Bay, including his parents, who drove up from New Jersey for the premiere.

"I think my parents were relieved . . . that I didn't make a total fool of myself," he said.

Dern said his mom was excited about his debut , but his dad was "less sure about it." His friends gave him a hard time about asking people to rub sunscreen on his back, he said.

Herman has kept his role in the show under wraps at work, but Dern hopes to capitalize on his brush with fame. He's been sending clips to talent agents and shows like "Saturday Night Live," which he hopes to write for one day. But, hedging his bets, he's still applying to doctoral programs.

On the season opener, the women had to master the Dewey decimal system to find three books in a library, while the men had to complete social tasks, such as asking female passers -by to apply sunblock, to give him her number, and to lend him her cellphone.

Dern's partner, Cecille -- a bikini model for Hawaiian Tropic -- finished first, sending Dern out on the street for his challenge. He said he didn't realize at first how scary he might appear in his oddball outfit and the big hair and beard he sported during the show.

Herman, who studied applied math at MIT, struggled with the sunscreen task.

Dern had the hardest time getting a phone number but still managed to finish first. He gives all the credit to Cecille, who gave him a head start.

Contestants are not allowed to contact one another while the show is airing, Dern said, but he said he plans to remain friends with Cecille.

Since the first episode's airing, Dern has received hundreds of e-mails, most of them sent by people he doesn't know.

And he has more than 1,000 people in his online Facebook group. Both men have received e-mails from strangers asking them out on dates.

"I've had a few marriage proposals. They all made me blush," Dern said.

He did get a jolt of confidence from the show, and no longer gets so nervous approaching attractive women or different social groups on campus, he said.

"Even if someone is better looking or smarter than me," Dern said, "I can still offer them something, even if it's just comic relief."
    Link

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    A more attractive geek!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast