+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Big Brother Canada (premieres Feb 2013)

Big Brother Canada (premieres Feb 2013)

Canada finally gets its own Big Brother franchise! Someday soonish!

THE BIG BROTHER PHENOMENON IS COMING TO CANADA

First Ever Canadian Edition of Endemol’s Worldwide Hit Franchise Comes Exclusively to Slice™

Wednesday May 30, 2012

TORONTO, May 30, 2012 – Shaw Media has sealed a deal with Endemol to produce the first ever Canadian instalment of the wildly popular international sensation Big Brother and has teamed up with Canadian production heavyweight Insight Productions on the production of the series. The inaugural season of Big Brother Canada will air during the 2012/13 broadcast season exclusively on Slice™.

The hugely successful Big Brother franchise aired 25 formats in 87 countries in 2011 and continues to roll out in new territories. Big Brother U.S. has consistently been a top ranked staple on Global’s schedule for 13 seasons. (clip)
    One has to assume it will air either this Winter or Spring, so it won't be competing against the US version. The press release makes it sound as if they will emulate the US game, as opposed to other international franchises like the UK (which is something they should seriously think about):

True to the U.S. format, Big Brother Canada will hand pick a diverse group of competitive contestants in the Big Brother house outfitted wall to wall with cameras and microphones to capture the house guests’ every move. Week to week the house guests compete in a series of challenges and vote each other out until one claims victory and takes home the grand prize. Fans of Big Brother can connect with the series outside of the 3-day-a-week broadcast through a myriad of digital extensions including live streaming and social engagement opportunities that allow online users to impact decisions in the house.
    I hope Canadian FORTers will keep us posted if they see updates on premiere dates and other info about the show.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Big Brother Canada (premiere TBD during 2012/13 season)

I'm interested in this, but I know that they prairie provinces would be very under-represeted. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

The US format??? Oh thank God! The way it should be.

Some more info on the show...
    What I find really interesting is the comment about starting to shoot early in 2013 somewhere in Toronto.
    I guess they aren't going to be doing any outdoor challenges then, unless they all involve freezing your butt off??

How are they going to manage it? It doesn't make sense.

Big Brother Canada: Producer John Brunton reveals more details - thestar.com

Hot on the heels of announcing the Canadian version of Big Brother coming to Slice, executive producer John Brunton says they’ve already been overwhelmed by hopeful contestants and hosts.

“What’s amazing we’ve just had the most bizarrely aggressive response since that press release went out yesterday,” said Brunton, CEO of Insight Productions.

“I think I’ve had 10 emails already from people that want to host the show, some known and others who have been in the news lately, and we’ve got hundreds of emails from people that want to be in the show,” he says.

“People have been sending photos in. Weird photos. I know Canadians are considered to be shy, but we definitely aren’t seeing that.”

Brunton says the company had its first pre-production meeting about the show on Thursday and are hoping to potentially start shooting early in 2013, with a location somewhere in Toronto.

The key to any reality show is casting and Brunton is looking forward to that.

“The casting is going to be so much fun, because it’s kind of hot mess TV a bit,” he says. “We have experience doing that from our other shows, but this is different from looking for people who can dance or sing.”

They want to cast as wide a net as possible but are still firming up details as to how it might unfold.

Insight Productions is partnering with Endemol, the company that has spread the mammoth franchise around the world. Insight has a long history with bringing and creating reality formats in this country, with credits like Battle of the Blades, Canadian Idol and Canada’s Got Talent, but Brunton says those shows do not compare to the scope of this production.

“This show is a major viewing commitment, three hours a week, but the complications of pulling it off as a production are really exciting to us. It’s new technology, it’s building a house inside a studio that you can shoot in, that people have to live in, that has real plumbing and all that stuff,” he says.

“There’s something really fascinating to us about the format and to us it’s a big, big, big show. It shoots for over 70 days, 24-7, and it never stops.”

This could be good. It will be interesting to see what happens.

“People have been sending photos in. Weird photos. I know Canadians are considered to be shy, but we definitely aren’t seeing that.”
    Where the hell did he ever get the idea that Canadians are considered to be shy? Polite, yes, shy, no. And we certainly do have our share of d-bags. If he ever watched The Bachelorette he'd know that.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I agree, Rattus. Some of the funniest, most outrageous and LEAST shy comedians in Hollywood are Canadian. Jim Carey, Dan Ackroyd, Mike Myers, Seth Rogan, John Candy....we have a reputation for politeness but definitely not shyness!

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Canadian Chilltown and Canadian Evel Dick on season 1 please.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I agree, Rattus. Some of the funniest, most outrageous and LEAST shy comedians in Hollywood are Canadian. Jim Carey, Dan Ackroyd, Mike Myers, Seth Rogan, John Candy....we have a reputation for politeness but definitely not shyness!
    Norm Macdonald, who is Canadian, was on Saturday Night Live. He did an impression of presidential candidate Bob Dole. He also wrote for the sitcom Roseanne. Norm Macdonald isn't shy. Eric McCormack, who played the lead on the Will and Grace sitcom, is Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Canadian Chilltown and Canadian Evel Dick on season 1 please.
    I would love a Chilltown . An ED, no thanks
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast