+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Celebrity Big Brother 2009 (UK)

Re: Celebrity Big Brother (UK)

I caught up with all the episodes that dirtymonkey151 has on his YouTube account. I prefer his videos since they're high quality. It makes it more easy on the eyes to watch compared to the pixelated videos I often find. I've watched all the episodes before the finale, so I don't know who wins since I've tried to remain unspoiled.

Anyway, the biggest WTF moment was LaToya being the 4th person evicted from the house. Seriously? Did people like Tommy, Ben, and Terry beat her? I've always felt Tommy was sort of a snoozefest, Ben is also boring (though I did warm up to him), and I've never gotten the Terry love since I don't think he's that great. He's a nice guy and all, and he was one of my favorites during his HOH run, but after that, he kinda faded into the background. LaToya was a great housemate, and while I never expected her to win, I always thought she was a sure-bet for the finale.

Verne is so going to win. If he doesn't, then it'll be shocking. He's a good guy, but it's so boring when the winner is determined right from the beginning. It's like American Idol, when the winner is determined right from the audition stages. Thankfully, that's only happened once, in S4 when Carrie won. But even then, Bo Bice emerged as a frontrunner, and I was kept on my toes when it was between Carrie and Bo for the title. Anyway, it's more fun to watch other people have a chance at taking the title. The only person I feel has a chance to beat Verne is Terry, and even he has a slim chance.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

So it turns out that dirtymonkey151 already had the finale uploaded. But I didn't see it until now since I only watch his videos through his playlists, and he didn't add the finale to his playlist yet. So I just took the time to watch it, and...

WHAT. IN THE HELL. DID I. JUST. SEE!?!?!?!

I was so shocked and amazed that Verne got 4th. My whole body was numb. And my hand was over my mouth, which itself was dropped to the ground. I couldn't believe that the absolute favorite to win lost, and adding to that, he only came in 4th. Wow, simply wow.

And then minutes later, I saw Ulrika win. My whole body went numb again. How did she do it? She was a moaner, a crier, and she always wanted to go home. And yet, she pulled it off. The house was dominated by the guys, but a woman ended up taking the grand prize (gotta love irony ). The odds were against her, but she did it.

I attribute these shocking results to the fact that viewership on BBUK has been declining. So less viewers equals less votes, which equals weird results.

But I gotta say, I like these weird results. It makes the show much more exciting than seeing the winner being determined on the first episode. And I actually liked Ulrika, so that made the end result even better. Not as great as LaToya winning, but still pretty satisfactory. This end result was probably the most awesome turn-out for any BBUK in terms of shock factor. I even think Ulrika winning was more surprising than Rachel winning BBUK9 last summer.

This was a great, great season (or should I say series, since over there, they call a "season" a "series"). It was entertaining from start to finish.

And not to mention that I finally did it! I finally watched an international season series of BB all the way through.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3288303;
    So it turns out that dirtymonkey151 already had the finale uploaded. But I didn't see it until now since I only watch his videos through his playlists, and he didn't add the finale to his playlist yet. So I just took the time to watch it, and...

WHAT. IN THE HELL. DID I. JUST. SEE!?!?!?!
    You saw the power of math in action.

By having five finalists who's votes are all computed together, its almost a mathematical certainty that if you've got four people in an alliance and one person not in one, that the one wins. At least with public voting.

Why?

Because the public sees two sides, not five sides. And their support divides along two paths, not five.

What that results in is that while more people in total probably vote for the "alliance of four", all the single person opposing them has to receive is more than one fifth of the total votes. And that's relatively easy, because... remember... people only see two sides. So the people on one side--lets call it the "support the guys side", likely distribute their votes fairly equally among four people, while the other side, lets call it the "woman power side" can all give their votes to ONE target.

Ergo, the lady wins.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

It's a pity they didn't vote for the most entertaining (Coolio) or the most thought-provoking (Terry). I was NOT unhappy that Verne lost. Between this and Surreal Life, I should hope he is done with reality TV for a while.

But Ulrika? Zzzzzzzzzzzz. My online friends in the UK on other boards are livid.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3288323;
    You saw the power of math in action.

By having five finalists who's votes are all computed together, its almost a mathematical certainty that if you've got four people in an alliance and one person not in one, that the one wins. At least with public voting.

Why?

Because the public sees two sides, not five sides. And their support divides along two paths, not five.

What that results in is that while more people in total probably vote for the "alliance of four", all the single person opposing them has to receive is more than one fifth of the total votes. And that's relatively easy, because... remember... people only see two sides. So the people on one side--lets call it the "support the guys side", likely distribute their votes fairly equally among four people, while the other side, lets call it the "woman power side" can all give their votes to ONE target.

Ergo, the lady wins.
    Well actually, women almost never win BBUK in any of its forms: the main Big Brother, Teen Big Brother (one time thing), Big Brother: Celebrity Hijack (one time thing), and Celebrity Big Brother. So even if there were many people who rooting against the guys, it's still shocking that Ulrika rallied enough supporters. Because if you see the female winners of the past, they're pretty much all bubbly, fun, and don't get into much confrontation. Ulrika? She's whiny, moany, cries too much, and she always wanted to go every time she was up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12