+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Brother UK (Channel 4) - 2006-2010

Big Brother UK (Channel 4) - 2006-2010

'Unhappy' Shahbaz leaves Big Brother house

Stephen Brook, press correspondent
    Wednesday May 24, 2006

Big Brother contestant Shahbaz Choudhary, who threatened to kill himself on air, has left the house.
    The 37-year-old was watched by psychologists after making the threat and last night left the set after consultations with producers of the Channel 4 reality show.

In a statement, a Big Brother spokeswoman said: "Shahbaz has decided to leave the Big Brother house. He was unhappy and finding it increasingly difficult to integrate within the group dynamic of this year's housemates.

"Of course, all housemates are free to leave at any time as they have in past years."

Choudhary had earlier told the other contestants: "I'm a dead man walking. I came to die on this programme, I'm going to prove it", prompting concerns about his mental state.

His departure came after a leading mental health charity wrote to Channel 4 to complain about the admittance of vulnerable people into the Big Brother house.

Dr Andrew McCulloch, the chief executive of the Mental Health Foundation, yesterday wrote to the Channel 4 director of television programming, Kevin Lygo, outlining the charity's opposition to Big Brother's treatment of mental health issues.

Dr McCulloch said the reality TV show had little regard for the health of the contestants and was reinforcing negative stereotypes of people with mental illness, feeding discrimination and making sufferers a "laughing stock".

In his letter, Dr McCulloch said: "Whilst I can only guess at Shahbaz's clinical condition, we are concerned that vulnerable people apparently continue to be allowed into such a high-pressured environment.

"This kind of programming can make individuals who are distressed a laughing stock and this will only seek to feed the discrimination that already impacts heavily on people suffering from mental illness.

"It is disappointing that Channel 4 seems to have little regard for vulnerable contestants in the Big Brother house. I should be interested to know what screening and welfare measures are in place to protect contestants."

The Samaritans also criticised the programme, saying it was irresponsible to keep a psychologically unstable person on the show for the purpose of entertainment.

While being unable to comment on Choudhary's individual case, a spokeswoman for the charity said it was "inappropriate to use someone who may be psychologically unwell as a form of entertainment".

"Anyone needing proper care and support should be offered it," she said.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcas...781858,00.html

It's certainly been a VERY eventful first week on UK BB7. I know only a handful on this site will have seen it but the events surrounding the contestant Shahbaz outlined in the Guardian article I posted have raised the issue of how well prepared contestants are for such shows. We are constantly told how they are screened by psychologists and that their mental health is a priority, so something has gone horribly wrong here. Interestingly another housemate has announced that they are also likely to leave. Any other examples of "vulnerable" reality TV contestants? I'd be interested to hear.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Chakos::Linkletter::Epley breezez_air's Avatar
    Nikki to win
    I don't wanna get fat like you
    Don't even believe in the F Word...FAT
    ...Perhaps you meant PEE AYTCH AY TEE
    Yeah...I did
    - Stacy Ann and Whitney- ANTM 10

Big Brother (UK)

Alright so I saw some other people talking about Big Brother UK in another thread and didn't want it to go entirely off topic and I haven't seen a thread for it around here or in the Big Brother (US) forum. So let's talk some Big Brother... please?
    Renee: ďYou can think Iím mean, you can think Iím rude, but thatís my opinion, and Iím going to voice it.Ē

Re: Big Brother (UK)

I'm guessing that I'm one of those people who you're talking about.

But yeah, the show's awesome. I saw some clips of BB7, and I liked the show from that moment on. Nikki is one of my favorite reality cast members ever, even if I only saw clips of on YouTube.

I've been trying to follow the newest season of it on the internet. I'm hoping Sam or Amanda wins it. That would be awesome!

Ya you were one of the ones

It is a really hard show to follow seeing that it isn't like the one in the states where each episode is about 4 days. Where as the UK version each episode is one full day from the morning to the night and there are about five or six episode a week. It can get very boring at times and it seems like there are hardly any competitions too. Carole, Chanelle, Tracey and Ziggy are my favorites. Although the twins don't bother me either
    Renee: ďYou can think Iím mean, you can think Iím rude, but thatís my opinion, and Iím going to voice it.Ē

FORT's Fiercest!!! Ruairidh1992's Avatar
    I want Charley to win! She's definately going to be fake evicted tonight.
    NOT(!) a Dominique fan*~

Quote Originally Posted by Ruairidh1992;2472640;
    I want Charley to win! She's definately going to be fake evicted tonight.
    Charley's awesome. I hated her when I first started watching this season, but then I realized that she was the one getting into all the fights. She was the one creating all the drama. She's the one that most of the house hates. Without her, the season would be boring. I like her now.

I can't wait to see how much boo's she gets when she walks out the house. Then she'll be walking into the house again! That's just great.

I'm reading that the people who have the best chance at winning the whole thing are Brian, Liam, and Amanda. Maybe Gerry. I don't know why Liam's up there. He's pretty boring. Brian I can understand. That quiz Big Brother gave him just cracked me up:

"I like Babe: Pig in the City! It made me a vegetarian for a week"

Big Brother: "Do women poo?"
    Brian: "It's not proper poo."

Wow, it was so funny! But I still don't want him to win. I'm hoping Amanda will. I kinda feel bad for Sam. Her sister is the more "popular twin." And she's the one in the background, while her sister is getting all the attention. Poor Sam.

Let's see, who did I forget....
    I don't like Ziggy. Tracey's boring. Chanelle's alright at times. I have a love/hate thing with Carole. Nicky is just Nicky. I think I've covered about everyone.

Samantha is the hotter twin, te guys came to a decision. Charley was fake evicted and she seems to be a changed person after the fake eviction and she's capable of doing a 180.
    NOT(!) a Dominique fan*~

Quote Originally Posted by Ruairidh1992;2473346;
    Samantha is the hotter twin, te guys came to a decision. Charley was fake evicted and she seems to be a changed person after the fake eviction and she's capable of doing a 180.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, how harsh were the boo's?

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2473364;
    On a scale of 1 to 10, how harsh were the boo's?
    10!!!! People were putting their hands out for high-fives but instead some were trying to slap her but she does have a lot of support but she took the boo's like a champ. She brought Carol to tears when she said how much she cared for her during her interview (the housemates good see her interview). It would be cool if they did a swap if the American version, as long as we don't get Jen or Joe I would love it
    NOT(!) a Dominique fan*~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast