+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Big Brother UK (Channel 4) - 2006-2010

Re: Big Brother UK 11 (Final Season)

After several years of controversial houseguests (and maybe dipping ratings, I'm not sure), they announced last year that this will be the final season for BB in the UK.

I would bet it'll come back after a few years, the franchise seems to be doing fine in the rest of the world.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

The ratings have been dipping for quite a while. It has been a while since the UK version--typically lauded as one of the best, if not the best, Big Brothers in the world--has seen its glory days. The decline started around 2006-2007. I've read diehard fans say that the show lost its touch in the middle of the 7th season (2006). There was also the infamous race row during the 5th season of Celebrity Big Brother (2007). But the ratings truly started to lower in 2007, during the 8th regular season (which was heavily criticized for being boring). (If you wanna see more: Big Brother (UK) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

It was never confirmed that it was ratings though. And there are rumors that have been spreading about there being a short hiatus for a couple of years until the show will come back. But personally, I doubt that. I'm counting more on another channel picking it up, since it has been described as "one of the most revolutionary programmes of the last decade." But I kinda doubt this will happen either. There were same hopes that a channel would pick up the Australian version of Big Brother when it was cancelled over there, but that was back in 2008 and nothing has come out of that.

First Australia, and now UK. At least our version has found its loyal viewership!
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 06-17-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3937941;
    Same here. My UK friends are used to me disappearing about 4-5 weeks into BBUK, which is when BBUS starts.

I need to see more of Corin, Josie, Ife and Caoimhe (sp?) before I can form a real opinion about them. They haven't left a strong impression so far. And apparently there's some guy named Nathan in the house too, but that could just be a rumor.

Steve's a good guy, but I wonder if he'll go the distance. Same with Ben -- he's incredibly friendly, but he can't stop analyzing every moment in the house; I don't think Posh Boy is built for the rigors of BB.

I can see it coming down to JJ, Caoihme (sp?) and Mario in the end. Maybe with Sunshine too, but she annoys as many people as she charms...
    I just get lazy. For example, I only kept up with a week of BB9. I kept up with updates though, like I always do.

I don't think Sunshine is going the distance. She'll be gone soon, for sure. As for Steve, I had a slight problem with him going into the house. It's like Mikey all over again. Plus, he's a guy. Guys always fare better in shows like these (just look at American Idol nowadays). Speaking of that, it's killing me that JJ is hating on Rachael for no good reason, and yet the public dislikes her more than him. I don't get it.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

It must be the Curse of Beyoncé -- the winner of this season's RuPaul's Drag Race was a Beyoncé lookalike too, but everybody hated him/her.

(Then again he was kind of a turd)
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I still think it's because she's a girl. And he's a guy... good-looking to boot.

Are you watching a live stream right now?

Oh, I forgot what time it was! Thanks for reminding me!
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

No problem! I just died laughing at Josie at the end of the munching task. Everyone had to smile and wave, and as the camera panned across everyone doing just that, she was the lone one throwing up.

I only caught the second half of the show, where JJ couldn't stop going off on Rachael, and Shabby started sounding like the voice of reason.

He has some issue beyond a dislike of vanity, he's protesting too much. Maybe he knows he is just as big a fame-seeker as the girls are, but is trying to put up a big humble front...
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I agree with John that Rachael has a huge bitchface, but I don't understand why he has to make such a fuss about it. Also, the way he acted at the dinner table was pretty despicable. So what if the girls want to pose for Nuts? It's their decision if they want to expose themselves that way. Reality shows, especially this one, always get fame-hungry people. It's nothing new.

Besides, I agree that he's just as hungry for fame as they are. I mean, he's the one that flew across the world to be in the UK just to be on Big Brother. Maybe he just wanted the chance to be on BB? Maybe, but he probably wanted something out of it also.

Watching the live eviction show -- my UK friends are hoping Sunshine doesn't go, but it doesn't look good for her. I kind of hope Shabby stays -- even though she's a total pill, she has some lucid moments, plus she's entertaining.

I don't really care for Rachael, so if she goes I'm fine, but I highly doubt it will be her.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread