Closed Thread
Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
Like Tree846Likes

Thread: 7/22 The Bachelorette 8: FINALE and LIVE ATFR

FORT Fogey

Re: 7/22 The Bachelorette 8: FINALE and LIVE ATFR

Quote Originally Posted by Rodale View Post
    Finally tired of the rude inquiries and statements calling her a gold digger, Emily during an interview today said, "My father worked very hard all his life to provide for his family. I am lucky enough he has taken care of me. Her estimated weath as a heiress is 5 million.
    Then her father did her a disservice NOT to raise his daughter to be able to take care of herself. Does his son not work for a living, either? It's too bad if Emily does the same with Ricki. As much as I dislike what I've seen of Donald Trump, at least he raised his kids to get an education and become competent in a career. They (at least 2 of the oldest 3) also found love and had children. What kind of outdated BS is it to raise a daughter and lavishly provide for her every need and desire until she snags a husband to take over that function?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Like always, I'm glad it's over.
    I wish them well & was glad to see they still seemed happy. But we all know the "happy couple" routine is put on every season & is rarely the way it ends up once the cameras are gone. Once the show & publicity are over they have to find out that the perfect life they've been living on the show becomes real life with all its problems. And real people who aren't perfect & wonderful all the time. The whole "warts & all" thing.

I still just don't see her choice. She seemed to go with her head & friendship rather than her heart & love. But many solid relationships start out that way. so what the heck.
    I said from the beginning that this season was odd because it wasn't "Let's find Emily love & a husband". Instead it was "Let's find Ricki a new daddy". That seems to be what happened.

I only hope their hopefullness continues & grows.
    I actually disagree with this statement. I think you can have both and I think they do. It is not an over the top passionate relationship like what was shown with Arie, but that doesn't mean it is any less real. I can't tell you how many people I know who married the person they had a passionate relationship with and they are now divorced. I think there has to be a balance. Yes, you want to think they are attractive, but you want to be able to talk to them as well. And yes, Ricki is a factor, there's no getting around that. I don't think Emily would settle for someone she didn't love because of Ricki. And if you listen to some of the other posters here, Jef is the worst choice for a father figure to Ricki. I tend to disagree with that as well, but we are all entitled to our opinions.

What I really think is that we all see what we want to see. This season, I really liked Jef and I saw real feelings between them. I did see the beginning of a love story. Others didn't. Happens every season. Ali's season, I couldn't see the story with Roberto for anything - I was totally in love with Chris. That was really the season I realized that I needed to step back and not look at who I liked but to really watch the signs and see who the lead liked. I didn't see love with either Chris or Sean. With Sean it was more about worship and thinking she SHOULD love him. I did see feelings with Arie, but no depth. They were all about passion, no substance. Whether that was true of their relationship or whether that is just what MF chose to show, that is what I saw. With Jef, I saw passion (not as in your face as Arie, but it was there), but I also saw friendship and respect. That is why I think she chose Jef. Whether it lasts, who knows. They have as much chance as any of the rest of us. One thing I will disagree with that others have posted before - I don't consider a relationship a failure because the couple doesn't get married. Yes, there have been only two marriages out of this show. But there have been a number of couples that have lasted for a year or longer. To me, that is a real relationship. After a year, there are real feelings involved.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I actually disagree with this statement. I think you can have both and I think they do. It is not an over the top passionate relationship like what was shown with Arie, but that doesn't mean it is any less real. I can't tell you how many people I know who married the person they had a passionate relationship with and they are now divorced. I think there has to be a balance. Yes, you want to think they are attractive, but you want to be able to talk to them as well. And yes, Ricki is a factor, there's no getting around that. I don't think Emily would settle for someone she didn't love because of Ricki. And if you listen to some of the other posters here, Jef is the worst choice for a father figure to Ricki. I tend to disagree with that as well, but we are all entitled to our opinions.

What I really think is that we all see what we want to see. This season, I really liked Jef and I saw real feelings between them. I did see the beginning of a love story. Others didn't. Happens every season. Ali's season, I couldn't see the story with Roberto for anything - I was totally in love with Chris. That was really the season I realized that I needed to step back and not look at who I liked but to really watch the signs and see who the lead liked. I didn't see love with either Chris or Sean. With Sean it was more about worship and thinking she SHOULD love him. I did see feelings with Arie, but no depth. They were all about passion, no substance. Whether that was true of their relationship or whether that is just what MF chose to show, that is what I saw. With Jef, I saw passion (not as in your face as Arie, but it was there), but I also saw friendship and respect. That is why I think she chose Jef. Whether it lasts, who knows. They have as much chance as any of the rest of us. One thing I will disagree with that others have posted before - I don't consider a relationship a failure because the couple doesn't get married. Yes, there have been only two marriages out of this show. But there have been a number of couples that have lasted for a year or longer. To me, that is a real relationship. After a year, there are real feelings involved.
    Love your post. I saw a beautiful romance between Jef and Emily. I'm surprised in how many people did not notice. The looks they shared with each other were priceless. As for the couple not marrying, that can happen to any engaged couple, so I won't feel this was a disaster if they don't marry in the long run. My gut says they will marry. I hope so, but it won't be my business if they don't. I haven't enjoyed a season of this show like this in so long. Loved it. I do believe Jef and Em 'get' each other, and that's all that matters. He is a doll and so is she. Loved the show!!!

You and I were watching the same show, KatesMom. I agree with how you said with Jef, there was passion, friendship and respect. She and Jef shared it all. With Arie, I just saw passion only.
    shyra, NEPASue, judkay and 3 others like this.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Then her father did her a disservice NOT to raise his daughter to be able to take care of herself. Does his son not work for a living, either? It's too bad if Emily does the same with Ricki. As much as I dislike what I've seen of Donald Trump, at least he raised his kids to get an education and become competent in a career. They (at least 2 of the oldest 3) also found love and had children. What kind of outdated BS is it to raise a daughter and lavishly provide for her every need and desire until she snags a husband to take over that function?
    I just don't think it's up to us to judge how a parent raises their kids, as long as they are not doing anything illegal. If Emily finds fulfillment in having babies pop up for a couple of years, and enjoys being a stay at home mom, then more power to her. I was lucky enough (and yes, lucky enough) to be a stay at home mom and have never had any regrets. I had a great career, took care of myself, and yes quit to be the best mom I knew how, and enjoyed every moment of it. My child is now very successful and I have no regrets.

FORT Fanatic

I remember this as well, ECM. I'm pretty sure Andrew Firestone bought his own ring.
    Yes, in the past I remember at least one who purchased the ring outright. I believe in Jef/Em's case (and others), the producers give so much toward a nice ring, and the guy is able to pay the difference for a more expensive one.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
    Yes, in the past I remember at least one who purchased the ring outright. I believe in Jef/Em's case (and others), the producers give so much toward a nice ring, and the guy is able to pay the difference for a more expensive one.
    Thanks for the info, I didn't know the part about being allowed to "upgrade". I believe it is in the contract that if they break up within a year (or maybe two years) that the ring goes back to the show/Neil Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
    I just don't think it's up to us to judge how a parent raises their kids, as long as they are not doing anything illegal. If Emily finds fulfillment in having babies pop up for a couple of years, and enjoys being a stay at home mom, then more power to her. I was lucky enough (and yes, lucky enough) to be a stay at home mom and have never had any regrets. I had a great career, took care of myself, and yes quit to be the best mom I knew how, and enjoyed every moment of it. My child is now very successful and I have no regrets.
    I agree with you, but I also see AlwaysVeg's point, to a certain extent. To me, it all comes down to choice. You said yourself that you were lucky enough. If Emily's decision really was her decision, then I agree, it is her decision and should be supported, even if we wouldn't make the same one. But if Emily meant the statement that her dad never encouraged her to seek her own path and figure out what she really wanted, and instead took care of her until a husband was around who could do likewise, well, in that case, I do kind of feel like it is doing her a dis-service. And I don't mean this to be offensive or stereotypical because it is definitely not true of everyone - but I do still see among some families in the south the feeling that the girls are brought up to take care of the home so they will make good wives and mothers. It is just a different mentality than I know. I was raised by a very strong mother and father who encouraged me to achieve as much as I could from an education perspective, so that I could take care of myself. They wanted me to have all the possibilities the world had to offer, so that I could choose the path that would make me happy. So if it is her choice, then I agree we should support it. But if she wanted more and was not encouraged or supported to strive for it, then I agree that her dad did her a dis-service.
    NEPASue likes this.

Notice that Neil Lane provided a very small selection of rings from which to choose. The show pays for the ring (I'm sure they get a product placement discount from Neil Lane Jewelers) and if the couple breaks up within one year, the ring is returned to the network or production company.

Shane Lamas wanted to sell the ring on ebay, but lawyers stepped in and she had to return the ring to the show.

Andrew Firestone did indeed buy his own ring so it would have more personal meaning to his fiancee.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I do still see among some families in the south the feeling that the girls are brought up to take care of the home so they will make good wives and mothers. It is just a different mentality than I know.
    I think that it's lovely that some people have the option to stay home and look after their family, but you are right, it is doing a daughter a disservice to raise her without the ability to look after herself. In a perfect world, a spouse wouldn't lose their job, leave, or die, but we don't live in a perfect world and leaving a woman to take care of herself and her family without any skills...well, I can't see anything right with that scenario.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Closed Thread