Closed Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree445Likes

Thread: 7/16 The Bachelorette 8: Episode 10 THE MEN TELL ALL **West Coast Spoilers

Re: 7/16 The Bachelorette 8: Episode 10 THE MEN TELL ALL **West Coast Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan View Post
    I am just having trouble reconciling this "cussing like a sailor" Emily with the one the producers tried to portray prior to the show airing. To me it just does not match up with the sweet Southern Christian woman who likes to post bible verses on her FB page, blogs, etc.
    Maybe she is a closet GCB.
    Alexxxx likes this.

While I don't care for cursing and appreciate the fact that my son respects me enough to do his best to control his tongue in front if me, I still admire Emily for the way she has presented herself all around. I don't expect her to be perfect so it doesn't really bother me when she does something that I don't like. It's the total package that I look at and from what I've seen of her values and priorities, in particular her considering motherhood to be so important, I'm really glad she was the bachelorette this year.

As for the scene of her getting upset about spilling the wine on her expensive dress, I can totally understand why she would be upset. I thought it was kind of cute and funny.

It's nice to know I will never be on this show and have to live up to a truly (IMO) impossible standard of behaviour. I have a degree in English Lit with a minor in Communications and I sometimes swear. I try not to, but it happens and sometimes it's not pretty. My kids have heard their father watching hockey and they know a few choice words because of it, but it bears no reflection on the kind of people we are or how intelligent we are. Emily is human. Human beings sometimes show the world their less desirable side. I hardly think she swears like that in front of her daughter while making cookies. If Ricki sees footage of it later, it will in no way stunt her character or make her think less of the mother who has raised her and loved her (obviously a great deal).

FORT Fanatic

Originally I wasn’t going to watch this season as I found Emily quite boring during Brad season, however, I must
    admit I’m glad I did, for the most part she made a good bachelorette. And I liked most of the men on the show
    (well I could have done without Kalon, but you always need one bad seed to stir things up ). The cursing on the outtakes didn’t
    bother me as I just think for some, it is a southern thing. I don’t curse very much at all, and don’t understand
    it, but I’ve seen more prim and proper women drop more certain words in a minute than I’ve said all my life. I remember
    Angie Harmon talking about how after she was married (or engaged) to Jason Seahorn, that he had to work on her
    to stop swearing so much as it just wasn’t a good image.

But what got me last night was the whole “Spill a drop of white wine (not even red!)” on your dress and you are bent
    out of shape about it. I didn’t find that out take funny or amusing, I found it sad. I know it was an expensive
    dress, but really, were you planning to take it back to the store and return it after wearing it one time?
    All I could think of was “Trophy Wife” and thought maybe she should have kept Ryan, LOL.
    I don’t think she is a bad person, just obviously someone very different from me.

And just because I’m on a roll right now, here are just some random thoughts about the final two (and Sean ).

1. As much as I’d love to see Sean on my TV screen some more, I am afraid if he does The Bachelor, I would find
    something I didn’t like as that always seems to happen.
    2. I think Arie would be a better choice for the F1 for her as she has passion for him and he kind of fits into her lifestyle today with the racing thing.
    He may not make enough money for her needs, but I’m sure the grandparents can pick up the tabs on the rest.
    3. I can see what she’s sees in Jef as he is bit quirky and fun. However, I’m not sure how she would fit in with his life,
    although to be honest I really know nothing about him other than his family has a large ranch and they are Mormon.
    I can’t help but wonder if his parents saw how she was (the cursing, and the whole dress thing), if they would give
    him their approval of her, and I know that is huge for him (at least that is what he says). I think she
    may need to “work” to gain their approval.

Sorry I’m rambling. Didn’t have time to post last night, so had to save all my random thoughts today!
    Luvvy likes this.

Emily has more money than Jef and Arie combined..... but neither of them are slouches in that department either.

If I recall, Jef got bleeped more than once himself.

It's nice to know I will never be on this show and have to live up to a truly (IMO) impossible standard of behaviour. I have a degree in English Lit with a minor in Communications and I sometimes swear. I try not to, but it happens and sometimes it's not pretty. My kids have heard their father watching hockey and they know a few choice words because of it, but it bears no reflection on the kind of people we are or how intelligent we are. Emily is human. Human beings sometimes show the world their less desirable side. I hardly think she swears like that in front of her daughter while making cookies. If Ricki sees footage of it later, it will in no way stunt her character or make her think less of the mother who has raised her and loved her (obviously a great deal).

Have you ever seen Big Brother? there was a player on there, that for me, played the game the best I have ever seen .I cannot remember him being bleeped, so it can be done. As for Ricki we dont know how she will feel when she is say 14/15 and sees her mum on TV choosing her daddy We none of us know that. I love my mother but I would be mortified to find out she went on some icky show to kiss a bunch of guys on a TV show, that millions will see over and over.
    Just sayin
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan View Post
    AlwaysVeg, I agree that I am surprised at just how much bleeping that we SAW and can only imagine how much more footage ended up on the cutting room floor. Your comments about Ricki are well taken. Some day Ricki is going to want to see the unedited version of Emily's Bachelorette time on the show, but I guess that Emily is proud for people to have seen that side of her. I do wonder what her parents, her F1's parents, and the rest of their extended families REALLY think when watching that side of her shown on national tv, though....not to mention her friends from her church.

I am just having trouble reconciling this "cussing like a sailor" Emily with the one the producers tried to portray prior to the show airing. To me it just does not match up with the sweet Southern Christian woman who likes to post bible verses on her FB page, blogs, etc. And before anyone has a chance to say that Christians aren't immune to saying a curse word, I am not that naive and don't think that.

But, in my mind, this is not how I would have ever imagined the Emily that was being presented to us would act on national tv - the young Christian mother looking for a father for Ricki and a husband for herself. Again, this is just my opinion.
    Well, here's the crux of it for me - which is the real Emily? Perhaps her parents, Ricki, her F1, etc. know exactly what she is like because they know the real Emily. Perhaps what we are shown on TV is just what MF wanted to portray to us. I think we have seen enough glimpses to see another side of her. What is real and what isn't is up in the air.

On the swearing and kids, I think it also comes down to how you raise them. Just because I do it doesn't mean you get to. I pay the bills. It's funny, we have friends that swear a lot. Neither of their kids do. In fact the kids have started a swear jar that the parents have to contribute to when they swear. And they hear it at school regardless of what you do at home. I have been amazed at some of the words my 4 year old has come home with - already! It's all about educating them about what is permitted and what isn't - and just because something might be ok in someone else's house doesn't mean it is ok in ours. Kids are actually pretty good at getting the distinction.

I'm interested to hear people's ages and how that corresponds to their thoughts - and I'm being serious. My parents absolutely hate swearing and think that a "lady" shouldn't use those words. I get it and I get that it bothers them that I swear. But you know what? I'm 39, have a career (I'm a lawyer), a family, a home and pay my bills. I am an adult and I get to make my own decisions - and live with the consequences of them. I also have tattoos. I am happy with who I am. If it bothers my parents, that is their issue, not mine. And I agree with whoever posted it above that cussing can be seen as someone who isn't well-spoken. I get that. Doesn't change anything - sometimes F**K is just the right word. And I have actually discovered, being in the business world around a lot of men, they warm up to you a lot faster when they see you can just be one of them sometimes.
    Rattus, justCoz, NEPASue and 1 others like this.

Doesn't change anything - sometimes F**K is just the right word. And I have actually discovered, being in the business world around a lot of men, they warm up to you a lot faster when they see you can just be one of them sometimes.
    I have many men friends, many of them lawyers. I wouldn't use that language so they would 'warm' up to me .I find that part somewhat disturbing
    Florimel, cubsfan55 and Alexxxx like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I have many men friends, many of them lawyers. I wouldn't use that language so they would 'warm' up to me .I find that part somewhat disturbing
    You have your experience and I have mine. When you are the only woman walking into a meeting with a bunch of guys and they automatically start censoring what they say because they don't want to offend you, it is amazing how much the atmosphere can change in an instant for the better with one well placed curse word.
    Rattus, NEPASue and jaytwo like this.

I don't mind cursing really, except I wouldn't want the kids in the family doing it......until they are much older. (I come from families where cursing was NOT done, even before they became religious. It came in the category of drinking, gambling, fighting, etc. ) lol

I actually find cursing amusing, but only when it's around people you know pretty well. When people that I have just met curse a lot, it makes me uncomfortable. I had roommates in college and law school who cursed A LOT! And it was funny. When I see a HouseWife or Bachelorette curse, it comes off to me like they are trying too hard.

Closed Thread