Closed Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree445Likes

Thread: 7/16 The Bachelorette 8: Episode 10 THE MEN TELL ALL **West Coast Spoilers

FORT Fogey

Re: 7/16 The Bachelorette 8: Episode 10 THE MEN TELL ALL **West Coast Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by jaytwo View Post
    "Potty mouth"....LOL, I have to laugh about that phrase some. Considering how much cussing goes on, on ALL of these shows, including Prime Time NON reality shows, I just do not see the big deal at all. And I am sure she knew it would be bleeped (and heck, they may have even bleeped non curse words just to make it seem like she was cussing more than she was) so probably was not at all worried about Ricki hearing it. Certainly Ricki is exposed to TV and other media where this type of thing goes on all of the time.
    That's hardly the same as hearing your own mother publicly spewing curse words and getting bleeped. And I would hope that any good mother would put forth some effort to keep their 7-yr-old from being exposed to as much of that as possible on TV and other media. Children tend to imitate what they see and hear, and I doubt that Emily would want to hear Ricki say, "When are you going to brush my [bleepin'] hair, you [bleep]!"

I'm not big on cursing, but I don't think that is what turned me off from Emily last night. I only caught the one scene where she was upset about spilling wine on her favorite dress. For some unknown reason, she really annoyed me and I changed the channel. She came off as very un something. I can't put my finger on it. I just didn't like her and I don't think it was the bleeping either. I've been on the fence with Emily and haven't disliked her this season, but boy, she really turned me off last night. I don't think I could tolerate her in real life for 5 minutes........

It was like she was empty upstairs or wooden or a whiner.......I don't know. I just know it wasn't good. lol
    cubsfan55, Midol and AlwaysVeg like this.

AlwaysVeg, I agree that I am surprised at just how much bleeping that we SAW and can only imagine how much more footage ended up on the cutting room floor. Your comments about Ricki are well taken. Some day Ricki is going to want to see the unedited version of Emily's Bachelorette time on the show, but I guess that Emily is proud for people to have seen that side of her. I do wonder what her parents, her F1's parents, and the rest of their extended families REALLY think when watching that side of her shown on national tv, though....not to mention her friends from her church.

I am just having trouble reconciling this "cussing like a sailor" Emily with the one the producers tried to portray prior to the show airing. To me it just does not match up with the sweet Southern Christian woman who likes to post bible verses on her FB page, blogs, etc. And before anyone has a chance to say that Christians aren't immune to saying a curse word, I am not that naive and don't think that.

But, in my mind, this is not how I would have ever imagined the Emily that was being presented to us would act on national tv - the young Christian mother looking for a father for Ricki and a husband for herself. Again, this is just my opinion.
    Midol, Debb70 and AlwaysVeg like this.

She did say that number one on her list is to stop cussing.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Well, when I hear teenagers cut loose with that language, I think that's part of their desire to look 'cool' among their peers. And that's where the 'if everybody's doing it, it must be OK mindset is borne'. Actually, it's probably much sooner than teenage years ...

I still think Emily's emotional growth is stunted at about 18. She also just isn't very smart. There, I said it.

All she's ever been expected to do is sit up straight, smile, and look pretty. But she does those things very well.
    cubsfan55, Luvvy, Midol and 1 others like this.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post

eta I also don't think there are any super cute guys for me to oogle inappropriately on BP.
    I'll be ogling Reid, that's for sure! All the others can jump in a lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    She did say that number one on her list is to stop cussing.
    I'm not overly religious, but, I grew up in family who was and actual Bible reading, scripture quoting, southern Baptists Christians don't usually have a horrible habit of cursing....IMO. This tells me she is not what has been presented. Maybe that's why I have become disillusioned with her. I don't care if you are Christian or any faith, but just be authentic. That's all you need to do.
    cubsfan55, Longhornfan and Alexxxx like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm not big on cursing, but I don't think that is what turned me off from Emily last night. I only caught the one scene where she was upset about spilling wine on her favorite dress. For some unknown reason, she really annoyed me and I changed the channel. She came off as very un something. I can't put my finger on it. I just didn't like her and I don't think it was the bleeping either. I've been on the fence with Emily and haven't disliked her this season, but boy, she really turned me off last night. I don't think I could tolerate her in real life for 5 minutes........

It was like she was empty upstairs or wooden or a whiner.......I don't know. I just know it wasn't good. lol
    The rose coloured dress. She was cussing about spilling wine on it . She also cussed when she was on a first date with someone ( way to make an impression) but she was very happy the dress and the stain were okay Chris H asked her about it.
    cubsfan55 and Alexxxx like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx View Post
    Well, when I hear teenagers cut loose with that language, I think that's part of their desire to look 'cool' among their peers. And that's where the 'if everybody's doing it, it must be OK mindset is borne'. Actually, it's probably much sooner than teenage years ...

I still think Emily's emotional growth is stunted at about 18. She also just isn't very smart. There, I said it.

All she's ever been expected to do is sit up straight, smile, and look pretty. But she does those things very well.
    I agree with everything you said, except that when she had that MAJOR setback of spilling a few drops of wine on her dress, I do believe she ceased to sit up straight and smile. I do believe I definitely saw her slump a bit and attempt to frown through the Botox as she whined and called out for help from the production staff as if she had lighted herself on fire. She's not only not bright, but she seems to handle even the most insignificant of life's difficulties and irritations with desperate calls for help or snotty strings of curses from the vantage point of being backed up by a network TV production staff. I can't stand women who don't want to learn to take care of themselves in anything even resembling a mature way. That's what I haven't liked about her since the beginning. She's just fine and dandy with having a life that depends on other people taking care of her in every possible way.
    Debb70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx View Post
    I think cursing just showcases a person's limited vocabulary. If you have a strong opinion about something, there are other, better words to use.
    Not actually true. Studies have shown that people with voluminous vocabularies tend to swear more than those of limited resources, and I can vouch for the fact that those people I know who swear with abandon also tend to use a wider variety of words than those I know who are offended by "vulgar" language. Personally, I swear like a sailor, but not in the office, and I carry no shame regarding the quality of my terminology. And to quote Cameron Chapman "why use three words when you can say the same thing in one? Why would I say “oh now, this thing didn’t go at all how I’d planned,” when I could just say “F**K!” and express the same thing? So yeah, I’m going to blame my English teacher for persuading me to swear."
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Closed Thread