Closed Thread
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
Like Tree735Likes

Thread: 7/9 The Bachelorette 8: Episode 9 FANTASY DATES **West Coast Spoilers**

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: 7/9 The Bachelorette 8: Episode 9 FANTASY DATES **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Baby's Breath View Post
    Okay, I said I wouldn't be back til next Monday, but here I am. jucamer, save me... I'm weak. ECM, your comment about her teeth is not bullying, but don't you think it is a little bit shallow, or insulting? I can say this to you because we're pals and I know you will still love me tomorrow - but with all that is being said on here, others seem to be taking this a lot further, and to me, it isn't bullying but it is unnecessary. Right? I might feel differently if she were trying to be famous and give herself an image for the sake of popularity. Take for example, Cher. She has had things done and I guess I'd feel okay saying I either like or dislike some of those things, but in Em's case, I feel like anything she has had done, has been for her own personal satisfaction. She's not going to be on a show 5 years from now, after all. She has said that she lacks self-confidence, and if doing these things raises her confidence, why would anyone want to take that away from her? Which brings me to another point. If you (and again, ECM, I'm not really directing this specifically to you but knew I could use you as a means because we are friends) had a young daughter who watched this show, and then she came here to read these comments, wouldn't you be worried that she'd suddenly become overly conscious about every little dimple on her body? Again, I don't think it is bullying at all, but I think things have gone beyond a point that is fair to Emily or to her family.

Okay, now I'm going into my bunker til next Monday.
    No need to hide out, BB, I welcome your comments. Well, I don't think the veneer comment is shallow b/c it is not like I am saying "Oh my word she has such a HUGE nose, doesn't she? Or a big, fat derriere." Her teeth ARE distracting to me. I don't think it is shallow of her to want veneers but dang nab it, get ones that do fit, please.

And as for Emily lacking self-confidence.... well, my take on this is that ANYONE, whether contestant or lead must have a mighty high opinion of themselves or otherwise why would they even apply for that show? I know in my youth I was pretty self-confident (and I thank my dear late mother for that), but no way, no how would I ever dream I was so wonderful that I should apply for a spot on The Bachelor franchise (even though it didn't exist).

I know that I am rambling and it's been a long day and I am not really expressing what I really mean to say, but you know what I mean, right? If not, you can send me an email.

Will someone who recorded the show last night double check something for me? When Emily first met with Jef on the island, it sounded like after their first hug, she asked him if he was nervous. He said "Yes." She looked surprised and asked why? He gave some answer that made no sense. What was that all about? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    No need to hide out, BB, I welcome your comments. Well, I don't think the veneer comment is shallow b/c it is not like I am saying "Oh my word she has such a HUGE nose, doesn't she? Or a big, fat derriere." Her teeth ARE distracting to me. I don't think it is shallow of her to want veneers but dang nab it, get ones that do fit, please.

And as for Emily lacking self-confidence.... well, my take on this is that ANYONE, whether contestant or lead must have a mighty high opinion of themselves or otherwise why would they even apply for that show? I know in my youth I was pretty self-confident (and I thank my dear late mother for that), but no way, no how would I ever dream I was so wonderful that I should apply for a spot on The Bachelor franchise (even though it didn't exist).

I know that I am rambling and it's been a long day and I am not really expressing what I really mean to say, but you know what I mean, right? If not, you can send me an email.
    On the veneers - I don't think it is shallow. I think the issue with the veneers is that Emily is not comfortable with them. She is constantly running her tongue over them, probably getting used to them. That draws attention to them - and quite frankly is irritating to watch week after week. I also have an issue with her constantly touching and twirling her hair. I think her hair is beautiful. And I think that some twitches are just that - but I honestly can not remember a scene where she is not running her tongue over her teeth or playing with her hair. Even at the rose ceremony last night with the ponytail - which had to have been an extension or something with as perfect as the end was - it is a nervous habit of hers to constantly do that, and after 6 or so weeks of watching it, it does get a bit irritating and distracting.
    cubsfan55 and Fanny Mare like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't think the thing with Arie is producer-driven....I think it is hormone driven! Emily really wants to jump his bones! She doesn't kiss anyone the way she kisses Arie. Emily did not trust herself not to "give it up", had she spent the night with Arie. Physically, they are totally off into each other!

I hope she doesn't feel the need to make herself into what she thinks the guys want. That's how we start losing ourselves. If she chooses Jef, and I'm hoping she doesn't, I'm hoping that they would move somewhere neutral and start their life together. I think moving to Utah would be a mistake. When you have a child, there are some things that are just not wise.

And playing with/touching one's hair is all about flirting.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I don't necessarily feel a contestant has to think highly of themselves to do this show.
    In fact, I see Emily as quite demure and humble. Emily could be a really lonely person truly looking to find her soulmate. She is a beautiful woman. I think beauty only goes so far, though..it doesn't guarantee her an instant match.
    RoxyKnox, ilja and Baby's Breath like this.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Midol View Post
    While I agree with some of what you wrote, I can't help but point out that if Emily herself wasn't so busy obsessing about looks...the guys and her own..we probably wouldn't be either. And she didn't change just one thing about herself, she did a whole gamut of improvements. She is only 26 and as you said, she was beautiful to begin with. Not to mention that she is busy objecifying the guys about being "hot" every five seconds.

I can only speak for myself, but I assure you I am neither unhappy with my own life or jealous of her. If anything, I feel rather sorry for her but she did choose to come and do the show ... a second time ... even after complaining loudly about the effects on her life after the first go round. I wish her well. I hope she found hapiness, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Emily is all about looks; othwerwise, she wouldn't have had all that work done before the age of 26. I have no problems with veneers, but I do find hers way too large and unnaturally white ..... they just scream "phony teeth" every time she opens her mouth. I have friends with veneers (although not a whole mouthful), and no one can tell they're not their natural teeth. Not all veneers need to look like that. With that long fake ponytail and the in-your-face boobs on her small frame at the last RC, she looked just like a Barbie doll. I don't find that attractive, but I guess many guys do. There's no way on earth I'm jealous of a woman who feels she has to completely make over her face and other parts with plastic surgery at such a young age because I think it's indicative of very low self-esteem and shallow values, none of which I share or would want to. As I said to start out this season, I'm dismayed by any woman who is so focused on looks and money and so little focused on education or maintaining herself as an independent person. I find it revealing to listen to the few honest things Emily has said about herself ... one, that she has no special talents or abilities except being a mother, because she's had the opportunity to explore all kinds of opportunities and facets of herself but has chosen not to; and two, that she is afraid of everything. This is a very insecure young woman who feels she needs to be taken care of emotionally, physically, and financially by as many people as possible, and I find that very sad and rather pathetic.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    I don't necessarily feel a contestant has to think highly of themselves to do this show.
    In fact, I see Emily as quite demure and humble. Emily could be a really lonely person truly looking to find her soulmate. She is a beautiful woman. I think beauty only goes so far, though..it doesn't guarantee her an instant match.
    I don't know Emily other than what she has chosen to reveal about herself on the TB. Yes, she is very pretty but she has said she lacked self-confidence, and there are many reasons why one could feel that way as beauty is not necessarily tied to one's self-esteem. As far as her being lonely... well, she has said that being a single mom, the house is quiet after Ricki is tucked in bed and she would like to have someone to spend that quiet time with. I believe her that she would like to find someone. But, she has dated quite extensively in the past and from what I have read it is a list of very well-known people. So, on the one hand we have someone who says she is looking for love, but on the other hand she is choosing from a very narrow dating pool.

I just don't think that finding someone was the main reason for doing this show. Since this was her second go round, I think she got a taste of what "fame" is like, and wanted to extend her fifteen minutes. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think this show has really been about finding one's soul mate for a long, long time. YMMV.

As far as most not thinking highly of themselves....well, I think we all have people in our lives, whether friends or relatives who are very good-looking, smart, kind, have good jobs and are single and looking. At least I know I can rattle off just a few in my own family. I don't think they would ever dream of going on TB. I just think you have to have a certain mindset, be a little narcissistic and want to be seen and admired.
    fireflyer, Alexxxx, Midol and 2 others like this.

I"m going to agree to disagree on this one. Jen Scheft of Andrew Firestone's season was/is a humble person, and I wouldn't consider her narcissistic at all.
    Her aunt claims she is the most humble person you could ever know. I still will give those looking for love and/or lonely the benefit of the doubt. Guess I'm a romantic at heart.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Fogey

I don't know Emily other than what she has chosen to reveal about herself on the TB. Yes, she is very pretty but she has said she lacked self-confidence, and there are many reasons why one could feel that way as beauty is not necessarily tied to one's self-esteem. As far as her being lonely... well, she has said that being a single mom, the house is quiet after Ricki is tucked in bed and she would like to have someone to spend that quiet time with. I believe her that she would like to find someone. But, she has dated quite extensively in the past and from what I have read it is a list of very well-known people. So, on the one hand we have someone who says she is looking for love, but on the other hand she is choosing from a very narrow dating pool.

I just don't think that finding someone was the main reason for doing this show. Since this was her second go round, I think she got a taste of what "fame" is like, and wanted to extend her fifteen minutes. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think this show has really been about finding one's soul mate for a long, long time. YMMV.

As far as most not thinking highly of themselves....well, I think we all have people in our lives, whether friends or relatives who are very good-looking, smart, kind, have good jobs and are single and looking. At least I know I can rattle off just a few in my own family. I don't think they would ever dream of going on TB. I just think you have to have a certain mindset, be a little narcissistic and want to be seen and admired.
    A little narcissistic? You're being very kind.

I can't even imagine where your head would have to be to even entertain the idea that you are compelling enough to warrant a roomful of cameras, lights, microphones, and a gaggle of 25 members of the opposite sex hanging on your every word, movement, and desire.
    Fanny Mare and AlwaysVeg like this.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

FORT Regular

That's very true, angelic and that is why I think Arie is gone tonight. Plus, he does a lot of traveling, so she might still be spending many lonely nights at home after Ricki is tucked in for the evening.
    Emily had said on their first date that she doesn't mind when her significant other was away and she needs space, too.

Closed Thread