Closed Thread
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast
Like Tree676Likes

Thread: 6/11 The Bachelorette 8: Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 6/11 The Bachelorette 8: Episode 5 **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Rodale View Post
    Remember, when Emily talked to Kalon, she gave his a chance to deny or admitt he said what he said. That was extremely fair of her. She seems to be a pracitcal, blunt, confront head on person with no hidden agendas. I like that. Also remember that she was upset with Kalon, not only for what he said about Ricki, but for telling her to go away and shooing her away on the group date when he wanted to reherse lines and for telling her to stop talking two weeks before. Her response to him was a culmanation of all these things which made her realize he was a creep and needed to just leave.
    Kind of sounds like Kalon was pretty much the same. Therefore, it would never have worked out for Emily.
    luvlady345 and Midol like this.

This is the show thread. The Emily only discussions should be taken to her thread. There are instances here where Emily has been the focal point only and not the episode. Please help those reading posts about the episode by taking Emily posts to her thread. Thank you.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    Count me in the camp who was scratching my head as to why Emily was angry, hurt and upset that the rest of the guys didn't "have her back". What in the blue thundering hell did she expect them to do other than what they did in telling her what Kalon said? They DID have her back, they told her of Kalon's comments to which she then confronted him and thew him out. And speaking of which, I found it hilarious when she supposedly demanded of Kalon, "What do you have to say for yourself? Nothing...? Well then get out" all while showing off her pearly whites...lol, dang, girl...if that's what you call anger, I just don't know what to tell ya. Anger is usually accompanied by a snarl or a sneer on ones face. It's usually what helps lend credibility to said anger. I know she was trying to come across all "I am woman, hear me roar" and whatnot, but to me it was almost laughable. Were the other guys supposed to cower in fear and quiver in their panties in the aftermath, so as not ot arouse the wrath of the great and terrible Emily? lol
    Botox makes that impossible.
    guest and Midol like this.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Botox makes that impossible.
    Bo-tossible.
    fireflyer, guest and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Well, well, well. I think it's kind of funny that Emily is so polarizing. Reminds me of Brad's season, where everybody was so divided between Emily and Chantal. I also find it somewhat amusing because I was a diehard Chantal person back then but now I've come around and love Emily.

As for designer stuff, heck and hallelujah people, I'm a fashionista and I'm just a 40-year-old teacher. I have several purses and so many shoes they won't all fit into my shoe rack. I have to switch them out according to season. I see no shame in that. I get my stuff from Avon and middle-class stores like Target and Sears. I like looking good and I like it even better when my husband's eyes light up and I can tell he thinks I look good.

As for Jeff's remark, oh for Pete's sake. I didn't see it as him trying to dazzle her or her salivating at the thought of marrying him to get Chloe purses. I saw it as man trying to make a joke to assuage the hurt feelings of a woman he liked, and her responding to it. As for her reference to LV and "vintage," I saw it as her joining the joke, and anyway, to be compared to LV would be quite a compliment. I don't know the history of Chloe, but LV started off a hundred years ago making high-class steamer trunks for wealthy people to take on their steamship travels (think Titanic here). If somebody called me mere baggage, like a Samsonite suitcase I dragged through the airport, then I would be irritated. If somebody said I were an LV--glamorous, adventurous, elegant, beautiful--then I would actually be a little flattered.

As for "vintage," again I would take that well. There's a vintage lady's store in the historic part of our city, and I love going there with my mom. The store has clothing--hats, gloves, shoes, purses, dresses--from the 30's through the 60's, and I love hearing her stories of how women dressed back then. I only wish my grandmothers were still alive so I could take them. Anyway, if I could afford it I would gladly snap up some clothing from there because I think women dressed much prettier and classier back then.

From Dictionary.com:

Rage--an intense, uncontrolled anger or a great force.

Hysterical--laughing or crying for a long time [and I might add, with the connotation of being out of control if you're crying].

I sure didn't see any of this behavior the night she confronted Kalon. "Uncontrolled"? To the contrary, she was extremely controlled. "Crying for a long time"? I didn't see her shed a single tear. I actually admired her behavior, because I would have been uncontrolled! I don't have children, but I have an adorable 3-year-old niece. If somebody dared call her a piece of baggage, then I would send him "through the door," too. (Thank you for whoever said that! Perfectly summarized my feelings. )

As for Kalon, he has absolutely no one to blame but himself. He knew from the first night (if not before) that the lead would be a single mother, and yet he chose to stick around. Even if he was made to stay by TPTB for the drama, he didn't have to act like a jerk all these episodes. I didn't shed any tears for him this week. A good comparison would be Frank from Ali's season. He was a nice guy who just realized the show wasn't for him, and respectfully told Ali so. And speaking of hysterical, there's another great comparison. Ali totally blew that way out of proportion, crying as if the world had ended and poor Frank had totally betrayed her. I can't say it enough: Emily is my new favorite B'ette precisely because she doesn't indulge in that kind of behavior.

And yes, it wasn't fair the way she treated the other guys. I liked what I read in a blog. The author was saying that the night Kalon made the remark, Emily was off on her date with Sean, so the guys couldn't have reached her. The next day, they probably didn't want to ruin the group date. The producers might not have been happy to see Emily ruin that date by confronting Kalon right then.

I can totally understand that logic, and so again, logically Emily should have been happy. However, who in the heck has ever acted logically and rationally when they were upset? Emily was miserably sick that week, and yet she was expected to soldier on through all that filming as if nothing were wrong. At the pub she was probably exhausted and wanting to go back to her hotel and go to bed. Lord knows also how much they had had to eat that day since we didn't see them eating at the pub. Like I said, I actually admire Emily for not getting hysterical under those circumstances. I probably would have been a sniveling mess, bawling and hurling accusations and storming out. And yes, I probably would have said things I regretted to the other guys. We're all entitled to meltdown once in a while; that's only human. What counts is if you come back later and explain and apologize.

And that's the only area where I really didn't like Emily's behavior. I thought she should have just called the guys together again and apologized. I hated the way she grilled them at the cocktail party. Somebody here said that it was "Venus"-type behavior. Yeah, I agree, but that doesn't mean I like it.

All in all, though, I still have a positive view of Emily based on all her other behavior. Somebody has to show a pattern of bad behavior, a la Kalon and Ryan, before I write them off.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

The Men Tell All episode should be interesting this season...
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

The MTA is never nearly as good as many of us think it's going to be. If Kalon is there, I'm sure he'll have some excuse ... like he didn't mean it that way, or they took his comments out of context, or that other guys were thinking the same thing. Everything that could turn out to be something on the MTA or WTA seems to fizzle out. They usually add a bunch of boring filler, too.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    The MTA is never nearly as good as many of us think it's going to be. If Kalon is there, I'm sure he'll have some excuse ... like he didn't mean it that way, or they took his comments out of context, or that other guys were thinking the same thing. Everything that could turn out to be something on the MTA or WTA seems to fizzle out. They usually add a bunch of boring filler, too.
    A-GREED! Someone upthread mentioned that there's always some kind of manufactured drama right at about this point in the season (Rated R, the girl who was supposedly in love with the guy back home during Ben's season, Bentley, The Skinny Dipping Incident, Rozlyn, and on and on and on...)

It occurs to me that they focus all of the teasers up to this point on that one (at least semi)manufactured moment of drama then entirely forget about it by the time the Men/Women Tell All rolls around. More often than not they don't even mention it. It's almost bizarre how thoroughly they tend to ignore the manufactured moments. Then they'll spend the ENTIRE M/WTA on something like a tiny argument that was had during the very first cocktail party. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Well, well, well. I think it's kind of funny that Emily is so polarizing. Reminds me of Brad's season, where everybody was so divided between Emily and Chantal. I also find it somewhat amusing because I was a diehard Chantal person back then but now I've come around and love Emily.

As for designer stuff, heck and hallelujah people, I'm a fashionista and I'm just a 40-year-old teacher. I have several purses and so many shoes they won't all fit into my shoe rack. I have to switch them out according to season. I see no shame in that. I get my stuff from Avon and middle-class stores like Target and Sears. I like looking good and I like it even better when my husband's eyes light up and I can tell he thinks I look good.

As for Jeff's remark, oh for Pete's sake. I didn't see it as him trying to dazzle her or her salivating at the thought of marrying him to get Chloe purses. I saw it as man trying to make a joke to assuage the hurt feelings of a woman he liked, and her responding to it. As for her reference to LV and "vintage," I saw it as her joining the joke, and anyway, to be compared to LV would be quite a compliment. I don't know the history of Chloe, but LV started off a hundred years ago making high-class steamer trunks for wealthy people to take on their steamship travels (think Titanic here). If somebody called me mere baggage, like a Samsonite suitcase I dragged through the airport, then I would be irritated. If somebody said I were an LV--glamorous, adventurous, elegant, beautiful--then I would actually be a little flattered.

As for "vintage," again I would take that well. There's a vintage lady's store in the historic part of our city, and I love going there with my mom. The store has clothing--hats, gloves, shoes, purses, dresses--from the 30's through the 60's, and I love hearing her stories of how women dressed back then. I only wish my grandmothers were still alive so I could take them. Anyway, if I could afford it I would gladly snap up some clothing from there because I think women dressed much prettier and classier back then.

From Dictionary.com:

Rage--an intense, uncontrolled anger or a great force.

Hysterical--laughing or crying for a long time [and I might add, with the connotation of being out of control if you're crying].

I sure didn't see any of this behavior the night she confronted Kalon. "Uncontrolled"? To the contrary, she was extremely controlled. "Crying for a long time"? I didn't see her shed a single tear. I actually admired her behavior, because I would have been uncontrolled! I don't have children, but I have an adorable 3-year-old niece. If somebody dared call her a piece of baggage, then I would send him "through the door," too. (Thank you for whoever said that! Perfectly summarized my feelings. )

As for Kalon, he has absolutely no one to blame but himself. He knew from the first night (if not before) that the lead would be a single mother, and yet he chose to stick around. Even if he was made to stay by TPTB for the drama, he didn't have to act like a jerk all these episodes. I didn't shed any tears for him this week. A good comparison would be Frank from Ali's season. He was a nice guy who just realized the show wasn't for him, and respectfully told Ali so. And speaking of hysterical, there's another great comparison. Ali totally blew that way out of proportion, crying as if the world had ended and poor Frank had totally betrayed her. I can't say it enough: Emily is my new favorite B'ette precisely because she doesn't indulge in that kind of behavior.

And yes, it wasn't fair the way she treated the other guys. I liked what I read in a blog. The author was saying that the night Kalon made the remark, Emily was off on her date with Sean, so the guys couldn't have reached her. The next day, they probably didn't want to ruin the group date. The producers might not have been happy to see Emily ruin that date by confronting Kalon right then.

I can totally understand that logic, and so again, logically Emily should have been happy. However, who in the heck has ever acted logically and rationally when they were upset? Emily was miserably sick that week, and yet she was expected to soldier on through all that filming as if nothing were wrong. At the pub she was probably exhausted and wanting to go back to her hotel and go to bed. Lord knows also how much they had had to eat that day since we didn't see them eating at the pub. Like I said, I actually admire Emily for not getting hysterical under those circumstances. I probably would have been a sniveling mess, bawling and hurling accusations and storming out. And yes, I probably would have said things I regretted to the other guys. We're all entitled to meltdown once in a while; that's only human. What counts is if you come back later and explain and apologize.

And that's the only area where I really didn't like Emily's behavior. I thought she should have just called the guys together again and apologized. I hated the way she grilled them at the cocktail party. Somebody here said that it was "Venus"-type behavior. Yeah, I agree, but that doesn't mean I like it.

All in all, though, I still have a positive view of Emily based on all her other behavior. Somebody has to show a pattern of bad behavior, a la Kalon and Ryan, before I write them off.
    Love your post Babbred!

As I have said before, some folks seem to be trying to hold Emily to some impossible standard. The girl is human, just like we all are. Don't like her? Don't watch the show.

I am happy to see Kalon gone. Baggage comment or no, he was not there to find love. I totally loved how she threw his comment back in his face too... "love to hear you talk, but let me finish first"
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

The "West Virginia Hood Rat..." comment actually made me like her more than I want to. (Kind of like how Travis' "that's all we do in Mississippi" comment made me love him, even though that egg bit was totally off putting).

I think this episode is exactly what's tough for me about watching the re-treads. By the time they become the lead, we know SO much about them, and we've seen them deal with (read: COURT) the paparazzi for months, and change from someone who didn't know not to look at the camera during a group date to someone who sees themselves as a "Star".

We know Emily tried to get an on-air career in Nashville a few years ago and it didn't work, and, whether it's admitted or not, we all know she's really looking for an on-air career after this is over. (To date, Ashley is the ONLY one who hasn't pursued that kind of career post bachelorette. Even Meredith tried - and failed, but still - she tried).

So it's tough for me to like her, because I know that this is just a means to an end for her - and not the end she's claiming to look for. Sure if she falls in love along the way: great, but it's not the goal. And that JUST DRIVES ME NUTS for some reason.

BUT - during this episode she was funny, she was engaging, she did show some real emotion, and I like the Emily I saw when that happened. And I like the show. We all do (obviously ) so it's just tough, because, with a regular nobody, you have to suspend disbelief a little bit to buy any of what's happening, but with the re-treads you have to suspend it SO MUCH MORE. Especially with those who've tried and failed to get a career like this before.
    navybelle, Alexxxx and Midol like this.

Closed Thread