Closed Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree211Likes

Thread: 5/21 The Bachelorette 8 Episode 2 **West Coast Spoilers**

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: 5/21 The Bachelorette 8 Episode 2 **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I haven't had a chance to watch the entire show, but I have to agree with this. He definitely seemed to feel his masculinity was being questioned while wearing that apron. I'm on the fence about this guy.

Plus, was anyone else bothered when, during their dinner conversation, he asked how Emily would feel having a 3rd person come into their family unit, and she said she would welcome having a man come in and 'take over' - she seemed to realize how that might sound as she then added "but of course I'd be in control" even though she would have apparently handed over obvious control to her husband.

I have absolutely no idea if she actually meant she subscribes to the "Man is the Head of the Household" train of thought, but it did make me pause at her even suggesting it. I get that as a single Mom with nobody to help her with childcare duties (although I do wonder if she has a nanny, actually) it can be really tiring and the idea of having someone to help/defer to is enticing ("ask your Dad"), it still seems a backward way of approaching this, in my eyes.
    Yes, but if you listened to what she said afterward, I think she was just kidding. She said something to the effect of... "I'll still really be in control but let the guy think he was.""

I'd thought that Emily was going to be the most boring 'ette ever, but I quite like her so far. I like that she gets to the heart of the matter and is separating the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

I also think she is our most flirtatious bachelorette to date. She sure is using her feminine wiles on these guys and they are eating it up. She knows how to play the game. (This is coming from a woman who had no game whatsoever.) Not making any judgments but it sure is interesting to watch, imo.
    ilja and Photobabe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Yes, but if you listened to what she said afterward, I think she was just kidding. She said something to the effect of... "I'll still really be in control but let the guy think he was.""

I'd thought that Emily was going to be the most boring 'ette ever, but I quite like her so far. I like that she gets to the heart of the matter and is separating the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

I also think she is our most flirtatious bachelorette to date. She sure is using her feminine wiles on these guys and they are eating it up. She knows how to play the game. (This is coming from a woman who had no game whatsoever.) Not making any judgments but it sure is interesting to watch, imo.
    I think she knows the game She has done this before. She knows how to get what she wants, including having things changed on the show. When she says she is nervous, I don't quite buy that she is.

I think she would love a TV career, I feel that. A husband? I don't see it, but it's early days
    fireflyer and Midol like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

The 2nd episode rundown of events is available to read in the weekly rundown thread.
    JavaJo likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I haven't had a chance to watch the entire show, but I have to agree with this. He definitely seemed to feel his masculinity was being questioned while wearing that apron. I'm on the fence about this guy.

Plus, was anyone else bothered when, during their dinner conversation, he asked how Emily would feel having a 3rd person come into their family unit, and she said she would welcome having a man come in and 'take over' - she seemed to realize how that might sound as she then added "but of course I'd be in control" even though she would have apparently handed over obvious control to her husband.

I have absolutely no idea if she actually meant she subscribes to the "Man is the Head of the Household" train of thought, but it did make me pause at her even suggesting it. I get that as a single Mom with nobody to help her with childcare duties (although I do wonder if she has a nanny, actually) it can be really tiring and the idea of having someone to help/defer to is enticing ("ask your Dad"), it still seems a backward way of approaching this, in my eyes.
    I don't know - I took it as she realized she shouldn't have said the man would be in charge when she plans on being in charge, so it was kind of a 'let me clarify my first statement' kind of thing.

I've joked with DH about this many times - he might think he's in charge and I'll let him have his way when I don't care but, ultimately, I'm the one in charge. Anyone ever see My Big Fat Greek Wedding where they talk about having to lead the man to thinking the decision was his when it's really not (love that scene! ) - that's the way I took Emily's statement...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I'm cautiously optimistic about this season, although I'm sure the less guys that are left, the more tension there will be. I really liked Ryan's interaction with Emily on their date(s)...but he went a bunch of steps back for me with that move with the letter. And I don't let her completely off the hook - when she saw it was multiple pages, she should have said she would read it later. I thought the guy waiting (Tony?) handled it pretty well with the joke about it being his letter. Have to agree with some previous posts regarding Kalon. Personally, I wasn't much into his looks and I think something about his intro didn't sit with me, so I have no stake in how far he goes. But the animosity of the other guys, unless there is a LOT we are not seeing, seems misplaced. Thought the words with Doug were kinda strange...I think that Kalon could have made a better point on leaving your child to come vie for the Bachorlette is a little different than her being able to call the shots and keep her child close much of the time. Of course, she did it on Brad's season, too. But the couple of things that could have been very ugly, I think he handled well. When the guy came to steal Emily and he said they'd just sat down and asked for two minutes, I thought was fine. When the guy insisted, he didn't get angry or confrontational and even said to enjoy the talk and said the guy was a great guy. Very curious about some of those preview shots, not sure if we are supposed to discuss in here, so I'll hold off.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    I don't know - I took it as she realized she shouldn't have said the man would be in charge when she plans on being in charge, so it was kind of a 'let me clarify my first statement' kind of thing.

I've joked with DH about this many times - he might think he's in charge and I'll let him have his way when I don't care but, ultimately, I'm the one in charge. Anyone ever see My Big Fat Greek Wedding where they talk about having to lead the man to thinking the decision was his when it's really not (love that scene! ) - that's the way I took Emily's statement...
    You're probably right, and I have to say their interaction after she clarified was quite cute, when she asked if he was up for the challenge. I also remember the scene from MBFGW (one of my faves!) where the Mom says to the daughter: The man, he is the head of the household, but the woman, she is the neck, and the neck can turn the head any way she wants!"

I've thought about that quote many times during my marriage!
    cantstopwatchin and JavaJo like this.

FORT Fan

Late chiming in this week. I actually really liked this week, I thought the cookie date was cute and something that you would really do... Ryan, I didn't like so much, I don't know he just seemed kind of blah to me. I loved the Muppet Date, very entertaining and cute. I was so happy Jef got the rose I really like him so far. Like someone else said I have an eye candy crush on Sean, very much my type. I'd like to see 1 on 1 dates for those two.
    Arielflies likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    lmao..isn't this what all women really do anyway..they let the men think they are in charge to keep their egos intact but women know who wears the pants..lol
    mesachick likes this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

I thought this was an absurdly boring episode. If I want baked cookies, I can do that at home, I don't need to turn on a TV to watch somebody else do it. The guy was clearly disappointed in the content of the date, and so was I. I understand that a love affair can perhaps start from cookies; however, I expect more from TV entertainment than what I produce in my own kitchen. Therefore, I feel this episode was extremely dull. If Emily can find a guy who is content to be an accessory to a pre-made life, then congratulations, that's a JACKPOT. But I don't think a girl can buy a made-to-order husband... I think she has to offer more than what she's offering. Thus, I predict this season will be a failure.

Having said that, I ALSO agree with every comment you made, cantstopwatchin:
    Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    The more I think about last night's episode, the more I'm liking Emily. For only being 26, she really does have her head on straight and I think she's keeping things real. [And by real, I mean that she's showing the guys Ricki is the most important person in her life and that even dates would involve her in some way.] I can't wait to see her continue to interrogate the guys - I esp. love how she asks them "what does that mean?" when they feed her some silly line. She's not going to let them get away with that and is trying to get to the meat of the answer - good for her! I'm excited to see how things continue.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery View Post
    lmao..isn't this what all women really do anyway..they let the men think they are in charge to keep their egos intact but women know who wears the pants..lol
    Along similar lines...while I was engaged, I remember my aunt telling me, "Honey, let me tell you something that has enabled me to stay married for 30 years. Sometimes, even when I'm perfectly capable of doing something myself, I ask your uncle for help with it, instead. Men need to feel needed, so make sure you tell him that every now and then." Occasionally I take her advice and, even though I don't really need help getting the lid off of that jar, I'll pretend otherwise.

Ok, this is now my favorite episode of TB/TBach. It has replaced Ben's epi where they did the community theater with the kids. I absolutely loved the Muppet date, and as for it being silly, that's the whole point! Gosh, don't you remember "Wokka wokka wokka" and the Swedish Chef and poor exploding Bunsen or Animal and the Electric Love Band? Or the original Muppet movie where Steve Martin did an entire scene with Kermit and Miss Piggy in nothing but a shirt and boxer shorts, all the while playing it straight? I read an interview with Jack Black once where he said, "I knew I had made it big in Hollywood when I was invited to appear on Sesame Street with the Muppets. That was the biggest honor I've ever received." I totally agree! I would love to perform with them, too.

And I have to add that this was one of the rare times when I actually liked CH, too.

And I didn't see any bad behavior on Little Ricki's part, either. Quite the contrary, I saw a normal 6-year-old having a great time with her mother. I thought she looked adorable when they showed her in the audience laughing, and I agree that she actually looked shy when she had to go onstage and sing with Emily. BTW, I thought it was so sweet that Emily allowed Chris to change from comedy to singing. And I thought this epi's comedy routines were a heck of a lot funnier than those dismal ones the guys did for Ali.

Loved the cookie date! I told hubby we're going to bake cookies this weekend.

Poor Joe. I felt so sorry for him, after he put that note in the love clock and all. What was up with the fireworks, though? Did the producers not get word to the people running them? That was just so bizarre I actually LOL.

Regarding Emily and her background, over in her thread somebody posted that her family owns a coal mine in WV. That would explain her family's visits to the swanky hotel. I was thinking that she had to have grown up rich, because she tossed out that info way too casually, as if it were no big deal. I've been to Buckingham Palace and the White House, but I never swam in their swimming pools.
    fireflyer and cantstopwatchin like this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Closed Thread