Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: The Bachelorette 8 (Emily) Weekly Rundown *Comments Accepted*

FORT Fogey

Re: The Bachelorette 8 (Emily) Weekly Rundown *Comments Accepted*

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Yes, I discovered that it came from an ecard and even the wording is somewhat different. However, since I'm recapping the show as it aired, I decided not to bring in post show information.

When I can face it, I do need to go into Edit to correct Cassie's name, which I spelled as Cassy. I also need to correct a few imaging spellings to imagining. There are always touch ups that get missed the first time through. I hope you all can put up with them. Thanks.
    Thank you, Arielflies. Your recaps are endlessly valuable.

Like, when DH decides to come in the room and talk to me when the show is on (the nerve!). I can always come here to see what I missed in that 3.2 minutes.
    tbamom likes this.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

I love your recaps and did not even notice any spelling errors. Besides, I can't talk about them even if I did when I consider my own errors. I was so irritated by one of my own posts yesterday when I repeated the same words in the ending of the sentence that I had used in the beginning. I was going to edit but it had already been quoted so I figured it was too late to try and cover up my atrocious grammar.

I've also noticed lately that I've been using ing when I meant to use ed or vice versa on the end of a word. I would like to blame the vision problems I've been having lately but the truth of the matter is that I don't proof like I used to.

As for you not mentioning that saying online, I did not mean that as a correction. I just thought I would mention it for those that had not noticed. I still think Jef is quite clever and I get the impression he is highly intelligent but that could be because of how much he reminds me of a former friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Yes, I discovered that it came from an ecard and even the wording is somewhat different. However, since I'm recapping the show as it aired, I decided not to bring in post show information.

When I can face it, I do need to go into Edit to correct Cassie's name, which I spelled as Cassy. I also need to correct a few imaging spellings to imagining. There are always touch ups that get missed the first time through. I hope you all can put up with them. Thanks.
    Due to my dyslexia( even when its mild) I never see an error Sometimes its too much or too long for me to read.So I come back.You do one hell of a job! I could never do it.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

EPISODE 8

HOMEWARD BOUND

Emily flies home to Charlotte, NC and hugs her sweet Ricki tight. After this short Ricki respite, she hops more planes to visit the hometowns and families of her final four candidates. She carries with her wrapped packages that look like they might contain photos as house gifts for each family.

CHRIS

Emily: Chris and I from day one had a really strong connection. He is always so sweet and always makes me feel so great and he’s very open about how he feels about me. I learned last week that he can admit when he was wrong. He’s always doing really sweet, little thoughtful things to show me that he cares. I really do feel like Chris has so many things that I would want in someone I’m going to spend the rest of my life with.

Chris and Emily meet up in a Chicago square featuring a gothic structure that reminds Chris of the castles they’ve seen. After a hug, he takes her on a tour of downtown and they gaze at the city landscape from a bridge over the river before entering a Polish bar. Chris tells us that on a scale of one to Polish, his family is Polish – he being the first generation U.S. born. This place is like many his family took him to, and they sit in the empty bar sipping beer at the counter and talk. They talk and talk about his apology in Prague until it goes in circles.

In her red flare jeans and navy short coat, Emily reminds us that at the last rose ceremony Chris said he was falling in love with her. She wants to see how this progresses after she meets his family.

Chris describes his family as his very Polish father, John, who still carries an accent, his sisters and his emotional mom, Rose. He admits to being a Mama’s boy. Of his two sisters, Theresa and Renee, Renee will be the tough one and will throw curveballs. Emily is up for the challenge and hops off the bar stool to declare, “Let’s to do it!”

They leave the city for the suburbs to a warm greeting with family hugs all around. Emily tells us they are the sweetest people imaginable.

After a dinner where the table was staged with an empty side to accommodate the cameras, they begin the sit downs begin.

Emily: Do you think Chris is ready to take on a ready-made family?

John: I’m not afraid he can take this on…what is most important is not what you have but the love and support you have for each other. Do I sense some love?

Emily: Absolutely. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t.

John: I’m happy to hear that.

Oopsie, Emily, as this leads John to think you love his son and he tells him so, raising Chris’ hopes higher than they should be at this point. Emily then gets the concern from Renee, who tells her that if she doesn’t see Chris in the end, she should cut him loose.

After all the heavy stuff, more family and friends, along with a few in Polish costume, gather in the enclosed patio to dance the night away.

The few pecking type kisses between Chris and Emily happen on the front porch on the way to the dancing party.

Time allotted to date: 15 minutes
    Rating Scale 1-10 (From Chill being a one to Warm + Fuzzy being a ten.)
    Chris: 5
    Family: 7

You are welcome to rate these hometowns on your own, of course, as this is my perception.

JEF

Emily: But…then there’s Jef. I can look back to the very first night and know that I saw something so special in Jef. I had always said that I want a guy with a little bit of an edge and Jef has that and more. I really feel that he gets me and I get him. I just like how comfortable I feel with him and I can really talk to him and trust him; just really unique and special. There isn’t anyone like him. When I’m with Jef, I really, really feel like there’s no one else around. I feel like my life with Jef would be full of adventure and fun. I feel like he would be the best husband. I feel like he would be the best dad.

We are gifted with the beautiful scenery surrounding St. George, Utah, the home country of the Holm clan. Jef greets her on the dirt road at the entrance to Holmstead Ranch. Set among a few hundred acres surrounded by national forest, in valleys topped by craggy hills, it is gorgeous in the high desert springtime. Flowing green grass lands and a lake overrunning its wood and earth dam, make it breathtaking.

Jef is excited to bring her to meet his family because she means the world to him.

Emily: Hello-aa. I’m excited to see ya-aa. I missed ya-aa. (Her exaggerated ending to words is more present this visit than any other visit. As she says she is nervous, maybe it comes out more when she is tense.)

Seeing her in a flirty white sundress, Jef, in tee-shirt and jeans, tells her she is dressed perfect for what he has planned for the day. She has an “I don’t believe you” look on her face, and it is merited. After walking back through the gate with the ranch name hanging from a lodge pole pine archway to the property, Emily expresses amazement that here is another thing Jef hasn’t told her. He then proceeds to pop her into a dune buggy. Teasing her plea to stay slow, he mischievously guns the gas (Emily: You better drive safe-aa!) and they are off on a wild ride to a meadow with hay bales scattered around.

Emily is glad to see that Jef is not all city because she also has some country girl in her. She says, “Jef is more country than he lets people know.”

The hay bales have been configured into a shooting range, and Jef once again teases that if she doesn’t pass the shooting test, he is done. Jef uses a shotgun to shoot down sprung clay pigeons and when he clears every flying target, Emily marvels that Jef in his skinny jeans is such a good shot. Concealing her own experience with guns, she also manages to clear all the pigeons much to Jef’s amazement. She confides to us that she may or may not have mentioned that she has had gun lessons. After the shotgun practice, they move to pistol target practice where Emily knocks out the center of the clay pigeon propped up against a hay bale. Jef tells us that he could watch her shoot guns all day; then realizes his double entendre and cracks up.

They glow after displaying their mutual prowess with guns and repair to a blanket covered bale shaded by an umbrella as a transition between the fun activity and meeting the family. Here Jef plays with the pleats in her skirt as he reassures her that she will do fine with the family. At one point production allows us to hear a badly dubbed bit when he tells us that his parents won’t be there because they are doing … charity work…That dub in for church or mission work was so badly done even an amateur like myself could catch it. He tells her not to be nervous (though she is stressing about the girl he broke up with because of family displeasure) and names off his older brother, Steve and his wife and kids, his brother, Mike and sisters, Melissa and Julie. He says that this is like almost everyone who is really close and really important to him.

Emily: No pressure. I am beyond nervous.

They drive past a picture perfect barn with metal sculpture in the yard and arrive at a log cottage with a large square of green grass and shade trees to welcome a nervous visitor. Shaking in her boots, Emily passes through the gate to the lawn to be surrounded by family, large and small. After introductions, everyone sits around a picnic table and toasts the day with lemonade filled glasses.

Steve, in the in loco parentis role, pulls Emily aside for a chat and finds that this time around she knew to ask questions about life foundations and that Jef passed. He says to her (and later to Jef) that he doesn’t doubt this situation can put you in love, but what do you do after?

Emily: You have to go into it knowing that there will be times when you don’t like each other, yet you still love each other; just knowing that this is it.

Steve: I feel you have to have the fundamentals, and love is not an investment, it is an adventure.

To the camera Steve says that Emily’s calmness may offset Jef’s wild side and they would be a good match. He tells Emily that they would complement each other and he hopes it works out for them.

Emily next sits with Jef’s sisters and feels it is a little intimidating. She is put in the hot seat under tree shade and Steve’s wife, Jaime, begins by stating they are a little bit skeptical. They don’t want to see him heartbroken, but they can see he really likes her and tell her that he is such a romantic. Emily states that she doesn’t want to be heartbroken either and her biggest fear is that at the end he realizes that he isn’t ready to be married. With children crying in the background, she asks if a six year old would be an issue for him. Melissa assures her that Jef has said he wants a family and they feel that if he finds the right girl, he will be totally in love and ready to settle down.

Jaime then asks about location. Would Emily want to remain in Charlotte or would she move? Emily tells them that more than anything she wants a true family for her daughter and will move anywhere to give her brothers, sisters and a dad – stepdad. Jaime also asks whether Emily and Jef connect on values, and Emily assures her they do. Julie then jumps in with the hot spot question, “Do you feel you are falling in love with Jef?”

Emily: Uh…ah…honestly…uh…I do, I do. But, then, at the same time, I’m a little bit slow to throw that word out. (Well, Duh! Bachelorette still dating here folks.)

Her response pleases the sisters and the moment to make their womanly hearts glow happens when Jef’s niece enters the space and wants to sit on Emily’s lap. Emily is in hog heaven cuddling the child.

Melissa tells us that she thinks Emily is so sweet, and that she is a genuine person.

Julie thinks that Emily is down to earth and her parents would love her.

Steve talks to Jef while they sit on chairs on the cottage’s porch and asks him why he thinks he is ready now to marry and take on a family where he wasn’t before. Jef responds that while on the verge of being engaged before, he wanted it, but the IT wasn’t there; now it is.

Jef: With her it seems so easy, like that is what we would do.

With a “See you guys later” from Emily, and a playful dancing skip down the lane, they leave the family and make their way to rocky outcroppings high on a hill to continue the third part of their date.

Jef: I fell more and more in love with Emily today.

With the sun beginning to set, they sit on a blanket and the romantic wordmeister reads to Emily a letter he wrote to her while flying home from Prague. In the first part he tells her why he is completely in love with her and the second speaks of Ricki, and that part, needless to say, is absolutely beautiful. Emily comes close to tears. He ends with, “Most of all, I’m completely and hopelessly in love with you.”

Emily: (choking up a bit) That was honestly the sweetest thing that anyone has ever said to me.

Jef: I mean it.

Emily: Thank you.

The sun sets on sweet and deep kisses as Emily tells us that she loves so many things about Jef. That he is so humble yet feels confident and kind of cocky, which is such a contradiction; but it feels perfect inside her heart and that’s what really matters to her. Perfect. This said with a beaming smile.

If you are curious about the text of the letter, you can google Jef Holm letter to Emily and find numerous sites I am not allowed to link.

Time allotted to date: 19 minutes

Jef: 10
    Family: 8

TO BE CONTINUED….
    Last edited by Arielflies; 07-04-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

HOMETOWNS CONTINUED

ARIE

Emily: I always have so much fun with Arie. From my very first date with Arie, I had an immediate connection. Instantly we were just drawn to each other and just feel like we’ve known each other forever. I am so attracted to him. Arie definitely has that bad boy edge. I love that he has this youthful spirit and he brings out that youthfulness in me. My first kiss with Arie could not have been more perfect. Guys like Arie are really, really hard to find. I think that my future with Arie would be wonderful. I feel totally confident and I know that I would be with someone that would adore me forever.

Emily is excited to arrive in beautiful Scottsdale, AZ with its shots of golfers at play and the blooming springtime cactus, and Arie. Even though they’ve had a couple of setbacks, they’ve been moving forward with the relationship. She arrives at the Phoenix International Raceway where Indy car tires are spinning and the noise ratchets up. Emily, a race track vet, is so excited to see Arie race around the track. She knows the racing world, but she doesn’t know anything about Indy car. She loves that Arie is showing her a part of his everyday life.

She can’t wait for him to park the car so she can kiss him. She also thinks he looks stupid hot in his racing gear. He asks her if she will trust him to take her around the track as a backseat passenger. She asks, “Are you going to drive slow?” Arie laughs. She suits up, gets situated in the car and off they go…not slow.

Arie: Every time I see her, she is more beautiful than I imagined.

Emily: If that (racing) is Arie’s passion and we get together, that will become one of mine, too.

Sitting on a blanket next to a pond, Arie tells her that he is nervous for her to meet his family because she is all-American, and his family is so European. He explains that they have very different values and are very open. They say what is on their mind. Emily replies that she is okay with that. Arie relates that he and his dad share a racing passion, that his dad has won the Indy 500 twice in the nineties. She asks about his mom, and he says that she will probably be the least open minded.

Emily: On that note…(she reaches for the wine bottle.) Arie is one of my favorite guys and I would be crushed if his parents didn’t absolutely love me. Her goal for the day is to win Arie’s mom over and get her approval.

Arie’s advice…just be yourself. I love you so they’re going to love you.

They walk into the lioness’ den after nightfall and Arie introduces his dad, Arie, his ,mom, Mieka, his twin brothers, Luca and Alec and his sister, Maida. All are seated on couches waiting for the cue to welcome Emily with hugs. An interesting factoid emerges in that Arie, Sr. had raced in Charlotte and Charlotte was Mieka’s first introduction to America. After that bonding bit, Mieka speaks in Dutch to Arie and Emily becomes uncomfortable. Arie cuts it off after a couple of exchanges and translates for her. Basically his mom wanted to know how it was going, and Arie told her it was perfect.

Mieka hustles Emily into a bedroom for a chat and Emily is going to have a hard time fulfilling her quest to win her over as she can’t get a read on her. However Mieke is an interesting interrogator in that she wonders how someone can accept an engagement (Brad) and then become the Bachelorette. Emily trots out the answer she used with Jef’s family – that she didn’t ask the right questions about foundations and this time she is. Emily asks racing wife, Mieke, if she thinks Arie is in a place to balance out traveling with home life. Mieke says he still travels, but she can see that Arie has totally fallen for her, which lights up Emily’s face. Mieke tells the camera, “I can’t wait for her to choose him, and to be together…”

Arie tells his dad that as of that moment, he could definitely propose to Emily. He hopes that doesn’t shake him, but Arie, Sr. reassures him in that not only is Emily really pretty, but she is really nice and he likes her little southern accent. They laugh and then go…seriously…she’s got all the great qualities.

Arie: It is almost like a dream. Everything is working out so well. It feels so good to have my parent’s approval. Today has definitely changed my life. I’m ready to propose. I’m definitely going marry Emily, and I don’t think of it any other way.

Mission accomplished. Not only is Dad won over, but Mom as well. Emily feels like the entire time she spent with Arie went great. They share kisses at the car door, then she drives away.

Time allotted to date: 17 minutes

Arie: 8
    Family: 7

SEAN

Emily: Then there is Sean. When Sean first stepped out of the limo, I thought, wow, if he’s the first guy, how are the rest of them going to compare? Sean makes me feel safe and very taken care of and very confident. I feel like I know who Sean is in his heart and that is the person I am falling in love with. He’s such a gentleman. He has such a great heart. I mean my life with Sean would be great. It would be that perfect life that I’ve always said I wanted.

Emily steps out of the car in Dallas, TX and sees Sean romping and playing fetch with his dogs on green grass dotted with clumps of blooming wild flowers. With the blue sky, White Rock Lake and cityscape behind him, it seems the setting for a commercial. (see Emily’s blog) She greets the puppies and kisses Sean hello. She is excited to see him because he has any quality that a girl would want in a husband. He introduces her to Bella and Lola and tells her that he comes to this park quite a bit because his house is just a few minutes away. (Clue to Emily…house is in Dallas…wait…it’s coming.)

Rather than shooting guns or riding in cars, today Emily is going to hang out with the dogs and Sean – something he does most every day. Emily likes this low key start to their date as it is kind of like what she does in her everyday life. She thinks their lives could blend together very easily.

Sitting on a yellow blanket to match the wild flowers, Sean toasts with white wine – “Here’s to being in Dallas and hopefully loving my family today. I know they are going to love you.”

Sean tells her about a serious three year relationship that he ended because when it came down to it, he couldn’t really reciprocate feelings. He just knew in his heart that he wasn’t going to spend the rest of his life with her. After that he made himself a promise that he would never allow a girl to give herself if he couldn’t reciprocate. However, after a slight hesitation, he answers Emily’s question about their relationship in that he could see it happening, and he is definitely excited. A relieved Emily says, “Good, me, too.”

Emily: He is so perfect that I don’t feel like there is anything, like a huge bomb, that needs to be dropped, or anything in his closet that I need to dig around and find. No wonder the producers set her up in the family scenes – she is too perfect a mark with her vision of Sean.

They travel to Colleyville, TX to meet his family. Her game plan in going to meet his family is just to be herself. After all, Sean likes it, so maybe his family will as well. They walk through one of those large TX mini-mansions to the backyard where the family waits. Sean’s young niece immediately jumps into his arms and he introduces his mom, Sherrie, his dad, Jay, his sister, Shea and his brother-in-law, Andrew, his niece, Kensington and his nephew, Smith.

The first item on the agenda is for Kensington to show Emily her playhouse, a beautiful child size cottage in yellows and whites with a chandelier and an air conditioner in the fireplace cut-out. Can I live there, please?

Emily: This back yard – it’s like being in a child’s dreamland…just the most perfect family.

Duh, duh, duh. Here it comes. Emily really, really isn’t swift on the uptake when it comes to practical jokes. She is so easy to punk. When Sean starts to tell her there is something she needs to know, she takes a glance around the patio and exclaims that everyone looks so serious. They really are good at pulling poker faces. However Emily’s eyes pop when he tells her that he still lives at home. He goes on to say that he doesn’t have to, but he feels more comfortable here.

Emily: (with a scrunchy face in a PI) He lives at home. Hm. I’m trying my best to be the sweet, polite southern girl, but in reality I’m re-thinking everything. I’m going back to every conversation we’ve had.

Sean takes her to teenage boy’s room from hell with stuffed animals standing guard.

Emily: (continues PI) It’s a mess and he’s really into stuffed animals.

Polite southern girl comes out when she tells him she knows how to clean. Sean can’t pull it off any longer and with a grin, tells her that is not his room.

Sean: Obviously I don’t live at home, it’s a joke.

Emily slowly recovers and tells him she still would have been crazy about him even if he did live at home. She tells us that she is glad Sean has a sense of humor and can make fun of himself. When they walk back to the patio, Sherrie shouts out, “I’m so sorry, Emily.” Ever polite, Emily says, no, she would love to live here. She loves that Sean’s family is light hearted and has a fun energy.

Jay and Sean sit down for their chat. We learn that Sean really respects his dad and has learned about being a man from him. Jay’s first question is the attraction – is it something about her personality, her background…? Sean tells him that the thing he is most attracted to is that you can tell she is just a sweet, sweet woman. He adds that he has become more vulnerable during the process – something not familiar to him – and that there are some real feelings there. Jay tells us that it was like a switch clicked in Sean’s heart and mind – something he hadn’t seen before. He realizes that you can have love at first sight and there is something magical going on here.

Jay sits Emily down on a sofa and asks about the timing – when or what was said where you really felt that first connection. She replies that happened their first conversation when Sean told her about how much he loves his family. She goes on to say that Sean has told her he is really proud of himself for opening up more. Every time she hangs out with him, it has been the best.

In talking with Sean, Sherrie says she is surprised, that she thinks he kind of likes her. Sean replies that he is surprised, too. She wants him to be his true self with Emily and say what he means because she is seriously looking for a father for Ricki and a husband for her, and she’s looking for long term.

Sherrie: I was skeptical, but after seeing them together, I could tell that she is special to him; he has feelings for her.

Sean: I can’t realistically spend the rest of my life with someone unless they met the people most important to me, and so it feels much more real that marriage is a possibility.

Emily says to thank his family for a perfect day. They kiss good-bye as Emily gets into the car, and she tells him, “Bye,honey,” but Sean wants more so he chases the car a couple of blocks, yelling “Emily” (Hm…where have we seen this before?) until the car stops and he can lean in for one more kiss.

Time allotted to date: 19 minutes

Sean: 7 (because he went along with the production suggested pranks and seemed to hold back.)
    Family: 9 (because the pranks were done well and were funny.)

The Rose Ceremony

Chris greets Emily at the Peninsula Hotel in Beverly Hills, CA leaving her to contemplate her journey while staring at the guy’s photos. He then addresses the men already lined up in the ceremony room. Introducing Emily, he leaves her to her hard choice in dispensing the roses.

Order of the Roses

Arie
    Jef
    Sean

Rose-less Chris is stunned and possibly flabbergasted. During his limo of tears ride, his anger bursts out rather than tears and he claims he is better than any of those remaining. Did he or did he not also express his anger graphically through the roof of the limo?

Preview: Meanwhile the Final Three take wing to the Caribbean Island of Curacao where they will tour by helicopter, swim with dolphins and sail aboard a large vessel.

Credit Roll: Oh, Emily…you are sooo easy! Scene: Sean Family sitting down for dinner. Jay pulls out from the oven a roasting pan with tented foil that looks like he is bringing a turkey to the table. With a straight face he whips off the foil and voila! A whole Armadillo (dead) lies in the pan – head, tail, feet and all. Emily tries her polite mode once again, while Andrew tells her it tastes like chicken. Finally, poker faces crack and they tell her it is a joke. Poor Emily…or not!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

EPISODE 9

My View of the Show at this Point

Ahhh, the Fantasy Dates. They should be full of fun and fantasy, right? Not this season with its tone of seriousness set in a theme of Emily needing to find a dad for her daughter. It kind of makes one long for the romping on The Bachelor – no, not really. What we do see is a young woman on a mission. If you think she asked the tough questions before, she was only rehearsing for these three dates.

The paradise chosen to backdrop this episode is romantic Curacao with its Caribbean blue waters and white sand beaches. Emily immediately walks the beach upon arrival and does the usual review of the guy’s attributes before pausing to write in the sand, “Emily + ???” How can she say good-bye to one of these worthy gentlemen? Warning – there will be a lot of tears at the Rose Ceremony.

I’m going to cut the date portions really short. If you want to see them once again, search YouTube and ye shall find. Beware you don’t open a fanvid in error, unless that is; you have on your rose colored glasses. Know also at the top that Emily was in no way in heck going to lie on a bed with any of the three. Her presentation of the fantasy suite card (a show requirement that was waived in one case) was to include her denial of the romp, except her speech was pre-empted in one case.

We already know these men as well as we’re going to know them, so I’m skipping Emily’s preview – see the previous recap to read how she feels about them…not much has changed. This is the episode where the writers begin to close out the storylines for each of the remaining hopefuls. I’ll address that in their sections.

SEAN

Sean is thinking hometown went great, and while he hasn’t been able to say he loves her, he is working up the courage this time…after all TIME is running out. Sitting on a private beach, he can’t find the words when Emily once again quizzes him about his reluctance to commit during his three year relationship. Harking back to the hometown, she says she was told that he treated his girlfriend like a buddy. With those questions, and his attempts to produce round about answers, we see his downward spiral begin.

At a dinner on the beach, seated on lush pillows where he could snuggle up to her if so inclined, he doesn’t. He does, however, pull out a letter to Ricki (Jeez – another letter – is this show trying to become a poster child for literacy?) which is sweet and says just what Emily would want to hear…but…then he finally screws up the courage to tell her, “I’m falling in love with you.” That prompts the suite card, which as is custom, he reads out loud. Emily then bursts his manly bubble by saying she would like to spend more time with him, just not overnight.

All right, a guy will take what a guy can get; even this reluctant gentleman. After a few hot tub kisses, Emily escorts him the door and “tootles.” He leaves with a smile and confidence all has gone well. His storyline however has nowhere else to go. He is the gentleman who is falling, but not expressing a confidence in his love as the other two suitors have already professed.

JEF

Jef’s storyline, however, is still on the rise. Throughout the date romantic guitar music accompanies their movements. Their comfort level is highlighted while sailing across the sea with conversation and kisses and snuggles. They are shown both physically and emotionally connected in their talks about a future where they agree on residence and why; as well as Jef continuing to surprise her and keeping his pursuit/wooing fresh for her. The editors left in a romp in the ocean where she straddles him in order to add to their combined story of attraction.

At dinner he also proves he is a gentleman (Sean shouldn’t get all the kudos, now should he?) by pulling out her chair and seating her. He then surprises her with more questions about Ricki and how he would fit into her life. Emily relates that when she pictures making lunches for Ricki, she pictures Jef in the kitchen beside her. He asks her an off the wall question about her previous dating life, and she answers in the same way he did his brother on the hometown date – the IT wasn’t there until with you. All these “I get you” connections are left in to show how and why Jef will continue onto the next step.

After reading the fantasy suite card, he turns Emily’s table around and declines the invite as it is inappropriate at this time, in this place, to get horizontal as both families will be watching. He gets a tad poetic when he says they should bridle their passion. That doesn’t mean she doesn’t want to spend extra time with him, though. No hot tub, but an enormous carved day bed serves as their kissing platform. After he leaves Emily lies down on the huge bed sprinkled with rose petals (formerly an F1 sleuthing tool) and the scene fades out.

ARIE

Arie has received the chemistry edit as of late. Starting with their first date, his storyline rose on both chemistry and emotional connection, but as of London, chemistry began to overtake emotion as Emily begins to talk about kissing, kissing, how she loves kissing Arie. His storyline begins a downturn in Prague with the Cassie disclosure and never picks up emotional steam again, even with his declaration of love.

On his date, they make out in the webbing of a catamaran and swim with dolphins. Emily may be saying all the right things to him and us, but it feels off as if the editors are forcing a story out of them. That becomes apparent at dinner when she asks him about his normal Tuesday. I mean we and she know that he is a bachelor with party/work hours, but why did it surprise him that family life with a child would be different? Anyway, to show the chemistry connection to its fullest, Emily doesn’t even offer Arie the fantasy suite card as she is afraid she will succumb to his seductive powers. No alone time post dinner was shown, either.

To me, they’ve placed each of the three men in classic Bach/ette story molds:

1. Physical/Emotional connection
    2. Chemistry Connection
    3. Friend Connection

Whether the Finale plays out in this order, or whether there is a change up this season will be a mystery until Sunday, July 22, 2012.

DELIBERATION

Emily cries. Chris consoles. Emily doesn’t want to watch the plea for mercy videos. Emily watches the videos stone-faced, yet sad. She turns away and heads toward the fern covered table with two roses all fluffed and ready.

ROSE CEREMONY

The suitors, in island casual, are greeted by Chris, in island casual, and escorted to their place in the lineup in the order in which Emily watches their videos. A somber Emily wearing a white top and mermaid skirt covered in silver sequins resembling fish scales, enters and, after a heartfelt talk, proceeds to hand out the roses in the following order:

Jef
    Arie

GOOD-BYE

Sweet Seanie, stunned Seanie, ever the bulwark of a solid man, a gentleman. Cheers to the guy who almost made it to commitment stage in a relationship only to be denied. Sean – almost there, but you showed us your stand up self in a teary, but graceful exit in the limo of tears.

PREVIEWS
    : Skipping over the preview for the Men Tell All… (thank you); and moving on to shots of Emily’s final days. Her family (Ricki?) is all there and her mom cautions about jumping into an engagement. She is shown walking along a beach with Jef. Also shown - Emily and Arie walking toward the house where her family stays. Then…drama…tears…the word from Chris – “done.” We have to wait until July 22nd to watch another serious minded episode about Emily’s final steps on her journey. (You can take a sip of beverage…I said a bachelor magic word. Heee.)

CREDIT ROLL
    : Arie just can’t get the beginning of his video message to Emily right…stumbling over words, laughing, re-writing them then starting over again and again. Some 20 takes later we still don’t know how he put together the coherent message we and Emily see during deliberation.

FORT Fogey

"Ahhh, the Fantasy Dates. They should be full of fun and fantasy, right? Not this season with its tone of seriousness set in a theme of Emily needing to find a dad for her daughter."

It may seem to be set in a theme of finding a dad for Ricki, but in actuality that seems to be only a secondary consideration. Sean was the best of the three for that purpose, but she let him go. You can't beat the feelings and wisdom he expressed in the letter he wrote for Ricki. But buh-bye, Sean. Don't let the door hit you in the rear on your way out. You would make a fantastic dad, but you don't have enough "edge" for her mommy, who is busy playing tonsil hockey with Arie (who said not a word about Ricki in his video before the RC), and making googly-eyes with Li'l Jef, who would be a great second child for Ricki's mom.
    Alexxxx and Debb70 like this.

A dad for Rikki VS a prom date for Emily. I had started the season with high hopes that she was in it for the right reasons (a girl can dream, you know) but it is ending on a sour note.
    Alexxxx, Fanny Mare and AlwaysVeg like this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

It appears my wording at the top has focused on Emily the Mom. I was trying to state that the serious part of this season does have to do with her being a Mom. Yes, she has to find the right husband for herself, but she also has to find the right father for her child - thus the serious nature of this outing.

Great job Arielflies. I think I like this better than the normal recaps. Of course since I never miss an episode that might make the difference.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast