Closed Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
Like Tree348Likes

Thread: Emily's Blog

FORT Fogey

Re: Emily's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer View Post
    Frivilous waste (when so many people are needy) is not cool. But, we are all guilty. After seeing how many people are needy, hungry, stinky, can't get a job because of their torn clothes, can't get a husband who won't hit them, can't function in society because of emotional or sexual abuse, and can't have a Mom or Dad because a parent abandoned them or is always drunk/high... I think throwing away money on nail-painting is sick. Newsflash: you can paint YOUR OWN NAILS for $0, and then give $40 to KIDS who are DESPARATE FOR CARE. A MANICURIST backed up for 6 months? We should all be ashamed.
    I appreciate your concern for the less fortunate. I read that Emily was given a dress that's worth $40,000-$60,000. I wonder if she ever thinks, "that's too much. I will sell the dress, and donate the money to help the less fortunate."
    fireflyer and AlwaysVeg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I'm sorry, this statement is offensive to me. I work hard for my money - very long hours. I also give money to charity, and donate as much time and "things" as I am able. I am a working mother who goes from the minute I get up to the minute I go to bed. If I want to spend 30 minutes every other week on "me time" getting my nails done because it actually makes me feel pampered for a change, who the hell has the right to judge?
    Agreed. I may cut my own hair and file my own nails, but I have my own indulgences (I collect small silver boxes) and I don't know anyone who doesn't have something that they do for their own pleasure, and it always costs something. Buying CDs/DVDs/books, going to the movies, ice cream, going for a drive in the country, playing guitar or drums (strings and sticks cost) - should all money that goes into these pleasures be donated instead?
    justCoz, mesachick and jucamer like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Agreed. I may cut my own hair and file my own nails, but I have my own indulgences (I collect small silver boxes) and I don't know anyone who doesn't have something that they do for their own pleasure, and it always costs something. Buying CDs/DVDs/books, going to the movies, ice cream, going for a drive in the country, playing guitar or drums (strings and sticks cost) - should all money that goes into these pleasures be donated instead?
    I don't believe that anyone is saying that. There's a huge difference between buying ice cream or books, going to the movies or for a drive, etc., and focusing most of your money (or other people's money) and attention on beauty and expensive material objects.
    fireflyer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    I don't believe that anyone is saying that. There's a huge difference between buying ice cream or books, going to the movies or for a drive, etc., and focusing most of your money (or other people's money) and attention on beauty and expensive material objects.
    What's the difference? How do the thousands of dollars I spend every year on discs and books (and I literally mean thousands) differ from whatever people spend on their appearance? I could borrow books from the library and spend $8 a month for Netflix, but I want to own this stuff for no more important reason than I want to. I still give to charity, but I'm not about to stop pleasing myself. And I'm honestly getting a little tired of the charity guilt-tripping that is so endemic these days. Appearing on a dancing show? They must donate their salary to charity. Won a lottery? Better donate that to charity. The more people try to make themselves feel like a "good" human being by nagging about charity, the sooner the backlash against charity in general will begin.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Just to clarify, but the response was to my post, which actually related back to someone saying anyone who gets their nails done when there are hungry and needy people in the world are wasting their money.

I'm sorry, this statement is offensive to me. I work hard for my money - very long hours. I also give money to charity, and donate as much time and "things" as I am able. I am a working mother who goes from the minute I get up to the minute I go to bed. If I want to spend 30 minutes every other week on "me time" getting my nails done because it actually makes me feel pampered for a change, who the hell has the right to judge?

Thanks KM - I don't have to respond you said everything for me
    NEPASue likes this.

FORT Fogey

Just to clarify, but the response was to my post, which actually related back to someone saying anyone who gets their nails done when there are hungry and needy people in the world are wasting their money.
    Just to clarify, my response was to someone saying what's the difference between making a career of spending most of your money on beauty treatments, surgeries and procedures, as well as closetfuls of expensive designer clothes/shoes/bags, and spending some money on yourself for ice cream, movies, books, or an occasional manicure if that's your relaxation/pampering time when you've been working hard all/most of the time.

To the Point

Here's the thing about judging someone else for the way they spend, it's much easier to judge them harshly when they seem to have way more money at their disposal than we can imagine. Thing is, we only THINK we know how we would live and how much we would give if we were to have those same advantages. You can only truly KNOW when you are actually in the same boat. Might it be nice to have been blessed enough to have been handed those same financial advantages? Most of the time I would not turn it down, but we really don't know everything there is to know about how she lives regardless of what we think we know. I don't know of a single person who lives exactly as I would feel is the most worthy and honest way to live, not even me. Throwing stones is a very dangerous past time even when it's at someone who's put themselves out there for public consumption, so to speak.
    mesachick, jucamer and jaytwo like this.

Ok, I think it's time to retire this thread for good. Everything has been hashed and rehashed and there is nothing new to say.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Closed Thread