Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Chris Harrison Blog - Bachelorette Emily

Chris Harrison Blog - Bachelorette Emily

'The Bachelorette': Chris Harrison blogs the season premiere | PopWatch | EW.com

Chris Harrison blogs 'The Bachelorette' season premiere

by Chris Harrison

It feels like it’s been a while, so I’m excited to say “Welcome to a new season of The Bachelorette.” As you will see in so many ways over the course of this season, this Bachelorette is unlike any you have ever seen before. This goes for both the season and the woman. First of all, we kicked things off in Charlotte, North Carolina, which of course is Emily’s hometown. At first I wasn’t sure I loved the idea of leaving the traditional ‘Bachelor Pad’ in Los Angeles. It’s become such a recognizable starting point and a big part of our show the last several years. But the moment we rolled into Charlotte I quickly realized it was the best way to start Emily’s season.

Emily is so unlike any other Bachelorette we’ve ever had so we really needed to think outside the box to make the show look and feel as special as she is. For me, the best part about shooting in Charlotte was the way we were received by the hometown crowd. The people of Charlotte welcomed us with open arms, and I can’t thank them enough for the hospitality. Not only did we shoot in Emily’s hometown, but for the first time ever, she actually got to live at home. This not only allowed her to keep being the fantastic mother she is to her daughter Ricki, but also allowed her to relax and enjoy a new kind of home-court advantage.

When Emily arrived to talk to me that first night, you could sense she was loose, relaxed and ready to talk. I really enjoyed our chat. What really struck me was how much she opened up to me and how vulnerable she was. She is ready to let go of some of the control in her life. She’s been through so much and has had to do so much to carry the load for her and her daughter. She’s looking for a partner to help ease some of that burden and add a new sense of excitement and adventure in her life.

We were hoping to keep the location we were shooting at slightly under wraps, but that went out the window right away as the local news station showed exactly where it was with their helicopter live on the newscast. Luckily it was a pretty secure location in a gated community, but that didn’t stop some fifty to sixty fans from trying to sneak on the property to catch a glimpse of the action.

As Emily and I walked down the hall to welcome the guys, the weight of the situation and the pressure suddenly hit her. She tensed up, had trouble breathing and was incredibly nervous. But that was nothing compared to how nervous the guys were to meet her. Let’s talk about some of the high and not-so-high points during the arrivals. Jef channeled his inner Michael J. Fox from Back to the Future (if you have no idea who or what that is: look it up, kids) with the skateboard behind the limo. I was a little worried as the limo pulled down the driveway a little faster than any of us expected. Tony took a huge chance with the Prince Charming bit, but he pulled it off. I have to give Randy props for watching our show and going with the grandma gag. Emily thought that was pretty funny, as did the rest of us. I have some advice for John and all other men out there: the moment you meet a beautiful woman and you’re desperately trying to make a good first impression don’t tell her your nickname, especially if it’s “Wolf”!

Travis showed up with an ostrich egg. That’s really all I have to say — Travis showed up with an ostrich egg. Good news for him is he’s a good guy with a great sense of humor, and the other guys really like him as well, because that could’ve gotten ugly… well uglier. The big controversy during the arrivals was Kalon flying in on the chopper. To be honest it was kind of a small, janky little helicopter as far as Bachelor standards are concerned. Kalon not only rolled in on the chopper he also rolled in with the big attitude that immediately turned the guys off and put a big target on his back. This will continue as we move forward.

Speaking of moving forward, as you saw at the end of the show, this season is going to be incredible. Emily has a really good group of guys here and they will do anything to fight for her and rise to this occasion. From the Muppets next week to Dolly Parton later this season, from the beaches of Bermuda to the Tower of London and beyond, you are all in for an incredible ride, and so is Emily. You’ll see there’s so much more to Emily than you knew before, and I mean that as an extreme compliment. She has no problem handling her business when it’s called for, and if these guys think for one minute that Emily is going to be a sweet little Southern push over… well, they can take a moment and say their goodbyes. I’ll see you next week from the balcony, when I fill one of the greatest roles of my life!
    Last edited by Arielflies; 05-15-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Re: Chrs Harrison Blog - Bachelorette Emily

Did anyone happen to read the extremely long and boring ABC conference call with Chris Harrison? Wow! It took me several hours to read, including long breaks and still didn't get to the end of it. From what I managed to read, there was nothing interesting and no spoilers. Harrison has been hanging around Emily way too much, it's affected his speech pattern!

Remember when she did the break up interview and there were a lot of "ummms, you knows and likes"? Harrison was even worse. He said you know, blah blah blah, you know. You know, blah blah blah, you know. On and on. I can give Emily a pass because she is young and not much experience on TV, but what is Harrison's excuse? He's been on TV for a very long time and has always given great interviews. What happened? Ooooohhh maybe that's why he's getting a divorce? The wife got sick and tired of the "you know" all the freakin' time!

Whew! That felt good to get it off my chest.
    Shoepie and nennie like this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Re: Chris Harrison Blog - Bachelorette Emily

Chris Harrison blogs 'The Bachelorette' episode 2 | PopWatch | EW.com

by Chris Harrison

There’s no question that the first night of every season is one of the most exciting nights of any Bachelor or Bachelorette’s life, but the next day is where the real journey begins. Anyone can make a great first impression if they really put their minds to it, but when you go on a date and have to really let someone see who you are, inside and out, that’s when real relationships begin to form.

I have to admit it feels a little strange to move into a whole new mansion. Little things feel different and while it takes some getting used to, it’s pretty exciting. For me, little things like calling all the guys into the outdoor courtyard was a challenge. You might have noticed I was screaming like a mad man to get the guys to come outside to join me. I didn’t notice until I watched the show back that I had to yell so loud. Guess it wasn’t a good idea to have all the doors closed but it was so hot that day, the house was locked up.

Right from the get-go, there was a lot of tension around the first date card. I think by now everyone knows that going on the first date of the season is a huge deal, though it can also be a double-edged sword. On the one hand, getting to jump right in and develop a connection with Emily is a great advantage. On the other hand, if you start to develop feelings really early, it can make each passing week in the house harder and harder as you watch a woman you have feelings for date other men.

When the first date went to Ryan, you could tell immediately that a lot of the guys were concerned. Ryan has a certain soft-spoken confidence that can be a little intimidating to some guys. Let me tell you, when Emily walked in that day, the guys couldn’t believe how gorgeous she looked. One thing the guys kept saying about Emily is that they were blown away by how she looked in casual clothes. I mentioned last week that things were going to be a little different this time around and I think that was pretty apparent starting with this first date. Emily is a mother first and she wanted to make sure that the guys took that into consideration before going too far. Thankfully, Ryan stepped up and made it into a pretty fun day for the both of them. Other guys, though, may not have taken Emily’s motherhood too seriously and you’ll see a bit of that as the season unfolds.

To be honest with you, I think the Muppets group date was one of the greatest dates we’ve ever done. Personally, I’d like to thank Statler for letting me join him. We heckled and had a blast. It was a childhood dream come true for Emily, Ricki, all the guys, and every single member of our crew. Beyond that, the entire city of Charlotte came out to enjoy the show and raise money for Levine’s Children Hospital (click here to learn more and donate). Before the show I enjoyed going out in the lobby and walking the line and talking with fans. One of the best parts about shooting in Charlotte — other than the BBQ — was getting to meet so many people who support our show.

After an amazing day, though, tensions were high as Kalon again ruffled some feathers. I think we’re seeing a trend here. Is Kalon right to be so singularly minded or should he let the other guys have their fair shots as well? I’ll let you be the judge of that. I think reality really started to set in that night when Jef got the rose. The guys started to see that they really needed to take advantage of that time. You’ll see a lot of guys really step up their game in the coming weeks. On a side note, whoever sent me the tweet that there’s something a little “of” about “Jef,” you got a good laugh.

The last date of the week with Joe was at The Greenbriar. Emily was really excited about this date because this was a place she went a lot as a child. She was so thrilled to share that with Joe, but for some reason, she just didn’t feel a long term connection with him and sent him home at the end of the night. Things don’t always go as planned, so Emily had to watch the fireworks show alone. It was a sad moment, but I think it really showed how seriously Emily is taking everything. If she doesn’t see a future with you, hit the road, Jack. Or in this case, Joe.

Next week, we’ll be back in Charlotte for even more over the top dates. There’s even a very special guest who has always been a huge part of Emily’s life. You’re going to love it. It was definitely one of the highlights of the entire season for her. In the meantime, you can always find me on Twitter @chrisbharrison check out tons of deleted scenes, see more videos of the guys from before the show and check out our Bachelor Nation blog at The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, The Bachelor Pad: Watch videos, catch up with cast, apply to be a contestant.

PS: The ostrich egg is alive and well. Travis has been taking excellent care of it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I mentioned to my husband last night that I was getting the feeling that Emily was being used as the redeeming bachelorette to help the people believe in a love story again. She'll be edited to cut men quickly if she gets the impression they aren't in it for the right reasons.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Chris Harrison blogs 'The Bachelorette' episode 3 | PopWatch | EW.com

Chris Harrison blogs 'The Bachelorette' episode 3

by Chris Harrison

I call this week’s episode “Open Mouth, Insert Bachelor.” Over the last ten years I’ve seen all sorts of things, but for some reason, this week, a few of the guys said and did things that you just shouldn’t do when courting a woman.

Chris got the first date this week, and fortunately for him, he wasn’t one of the guys who shot himself in the foot. There aren’t a lot of extreme dates this season but Chris and Emily got a great one. Emily told me later she thought Chris looked a lot like Gerard Butler. I found it amusing how much she gushed over how good-looking she thought he was. It was entertaining to see how uncomfortable it made Chris because he obviously felt the same about her.

Once again I loved how public this date was, right there in the middle of downtown Charlotte. Emily and Chris hit it off immediately and had great chemistry. By the time they got to the Luke Bryan concert (which was awesome, by the way) it was like they had been dating for months. Chris got the first real, legitimate kiss from Emily, but how it happened is very interesting and brings up a recurring theme this season. The guys are so thoughtful of Emily and the fact that she’s a single mom that they’re almost too respectful, if that’s possible. Emily was sending signal after signal for Chris to go for it but he ended up waiting ’til the end of the concert and at that point he still asked her for permission. In the end he got the kiss and definitely got Emily’s interest. The date couldn’t have gone much better.

The group date was next and this turned out to be a very pivotal date, especially considering how early we are in the season. This was due in part to the fact that Emily’s friends are around to help her out and in large part to how insanely bad some of these guys are at the whole “speaking out loud” thing. I absolutely loved Emily’s friends and how they basically used and abused the guys for their own personal enjoyment, making them dance, do pushups and undress. It was hysterical to watch these poor men jump through the hoops trying to impress them.

Ryan was the first to make a couple of major mistakes this week. First he thought it was a good idea to go over and interrupt Emily talking with her girlfriends. It wasn’t. Then he took this bad move to a whole other level when he laid some stunning knowledge on the ladies: He told them that if Emily gained weight after they married things would change, and that he would love her but he wouldn’t love on her as much. You know, it’s one thing to think like that, but he took it to a whole other level by actually saying it to her and her friends. Ryan, you have some digging out to do! Alessandro also made some interesting comments to Emily’s friends; I’ll cover those a little later.

That night at the group date party, Tony was mentally and emotionally done. I thought it was cool how Doug tried to reach him as a dad and Emily tried as well, but his heart just wasn’t in this and she saw that. The funny thing was that Emily was being so kind to him and so careful of his feelings you almost couldn’t tell that she was sending him home. I was worried he wasn’t going to get the message, but in the end he did, and rightfully went home to his son. Speaking of Doug, you got a glimpse into his story and saw a little bit more of what makes him the man he is. Sean got the rose on this group date and probably deserved it after Emily’s friends sexually harassed him all afternoon.

Emily’s date with Arie was incredible from start to finish. First of all, Emily had a crush on Arie from the moment she met him. Secondly, Dolly Parton and Dollywood hold a very special place in Emily’s heart. She’s a fan and really looks up to the type of person Dolly is. As you could see, Emily was completely caught by surprise that Dolly had agreed to appear on our show. She was amazing. Everybody on our entire crew that met her loved her. It was incredibly sweet of her to sit Emily down and talk to her like she did. If I ever give up my deliberation room duties I might have to call Dolly to fill my spot. As good as Chris’ date went, this one went even better. Part of that was Emily getting to meet Dolly, but it had much more to do with her getting to be with Arie.

The cocktail party leading up to the rose ceremony brought us more priceless moments from the guys this week. And by “priceless” I mean “incredibly rude and thoughtless.” I was happy for Travis that he finally got to say goodbye “Shelly,” the egg. My favorite part of the goodbye to Shelly was the other guys going pouring out some of their high-end vodka for a fallen ostrich.

Kalon has been a lightning rod for attention from the start but up to this point he’s been stirring it up with the guys and never with Emily. Tonight, though, Kalon was talking a mile a minute and not listening at all to Emily. He started out with this little gem, telling Emily “I’ve never had to share much in my life.” Then, when Emily had the audacity to try and speak during this conversation he told her, “I love it when you talk but I wish you’d let me finish.” Emily put it best when she said later, “I like tall, skinny, and funny. I don’t like tall, skinny, and condescending.”

As if Emily hadn’t endured enough this week, she then sat down with Alessandro. He immediately shot himself in the foot when he told Emily that he would consider a life with Emily and her daughter a “compromise.” This is something every woman longs to hear, by the way. But what you hadn’t seen until the end of the show was how bizarre Alessandro acted in front of Emily’s friends. The golden tidbits started with him admitting to have dated his cousin (third cousin), followed by other great admissions like cheating and having one-night stands. And the bizarre behavior didn’t stop there. Alessandro had also used some of his down time at the house to build some sort of psychic refuge, complete with homemade crosses and candles. (I’m not kidding.) After Emily picked her jaw up off the ground she kicked Alessandro’s butt to the curb so fast it made his third cousin’s head spin. By the time we got to the rose ceremony Emily had already dismissed so many guys, only Stevie was sent home.

There was one more incident that didn’t seem like much that will be talked about later. That moment where Emily ran into Arie in the hall and they shared a kiss will have a ripple effect through the house, especially for Ryan. We had to cover a lot this week and it’s only getting better as we move forward and the stakes are raised. I hope you enjoy the earlier start time. We’re going to stay with that the rest of the season. Have a great short week and I’ll see you next Monday night in beautiful Bermuda as the travel begins.

How sweet of Chris to talk so kindly about Dolly.
    mountaingirl70 likes this.

Chris Harrison blogs 'The Bachelorette' episode 4 | PopWatch | EW.com

by Chris Harrison

It was a bittersweet week for Emily and the rest of us as we left the friendly confines of Charlotte, North Carolina and started our trip around the world. I can’t thank the folks of Charlotte enough for rolling out the red carpet and showing us such genuine hospitality. On behalf of the creator of the show, Mike Fleiss, I’d like to thank Bojangles for all the chicken. A final personal note from Charlotte, I’d like to throw a little love out to Bill Spoon’s BBQ for some of the best pulled pork I’ve ever had. Also, a huge shout out to the Black Keys who happened to be in town while we were shooting. That was an incredible show at Bojangles Coliseum. Who knew they were fans of The Bachelorette?

The first stop on our international tour was the island of Bermuda and Tuckers Point Resort. The resort was beautiful even though the weather didn’t exactly cooperate with us. The guys arrived via scooters to the hotel. This seemed like a good idea and for the most part it was. Only one guy crashed on his scooter and, of course, that was the professional driver Arie. Yes, Arie, who makes his living driving a race car, took out Sean on his scooter. No people were injured, but we were all saddened by the loss of one of Sean’s shoes. The guys were very good about making sure the irony of the situation wasn’t lost on any of us.

Emily’s first date was with single dad Doug. I’m very interested to hear your thoughts about Doug. Is he the greatest guy to ever walk the planet, or is there more to this guy? I found it interesting that Emily drew parallels between Doug and the way Brad was with her. Saying and doing the right thing all the time isn’t always attractive. In fact, for Emily, it’s raised some red flags. There’s no doubt that Doug is a good guy and a loving father but Emily definitely needs to see more of “every-day-Doug” if this relationship is going to go any further. One big red flag for me is anybody that refers to himself in the third person. Former baseball great Rickey Henderson is the only person I know of that could pull off the third person reference and make it work. So unless you are a hall of fame athlete please don’t refer to yourself by your own name… That’s just a little piece of advice from Chris.

The group date was incredibly intense. The guys were pretty excited about going sailing but it was a wild day. You couldn’t really tell watching it on TV but the wind and weather were pretty rough. The sailing was great for someone who’s used to it but for a group of guys that don’t know port from starboard, it was a rough day. The guys didn’t worry about the weather though. They were completely focused on winning the competition, as that means more time with Emily at a very pivotal point. Losing and going home alone meant you were behind the eight ball, and probably on the chopping block at the rose ceremony. The day wasn’t just rough on the guys. Our incredible crew has to be on those boats with the guys while they’re sailing to get all those shots. The seas were rough and one of our photographers took a shot to the side so hard he cracked his ribs. I always brag about our crew being the best and working as hard as they do, but this day was especially difficult.

That night Arie and Emily picked right back up where they left off from their Dollywood date. There is no question about the chemistry between them. Jef finally got to see some quality time with Emily and it went really well. It went so well she was looking for a little lovin’ on the beach from him, but he just couldn’t pull the trigger. He did get the rose but the lack of chemistry is something that Emily noticed enough to mention it to me during our deliberation. And while she has a smile on her face now if it was a big enough deal for her to bring up during our deliberation. It’s something to pay attention to.

Ryan is quickly becoming my favorite quote this season. I like to call them Ryan-isms. There is a very fine line between confidence and arrogance and he has definitely crossed that line this week. He is extremely sure of himself and feels like he’s got Emily figured out. The only problem is it’s Emily who’s got everything figured out. This week my favorite Ryan-ism was, “God designed you to be a beautiful woman, so be a beautiful woman.” With gems like that it’s hard to believe he’s still single. Nate and John are the poor boys that drew the short straw and had to go on the dreaded two-on-one date. Nate was definitely playing from behind the entire time. John already had a pretty good relationship going with Emily and Nate just didn’t have it in him to form a connection with her.

The rose ceremony was very interesting this week. Because we were in Bermuda the idea was to have a beautiful outdoor cocktail party with the rose ceremony to be held on the beach. Mother Nature unfortunately had other plans and a big storm blew in that night forcing us to quickly change plans and move the entire production into a house that wasn’t nearly big enough for us. Our crew made it work, as they always do, and when I watched it you could hardly tell how packed in we all were. It’s a good thing we did move it indoors because as soon as we started the rose ceremony the skies opened up and it poured for hours. During the cocktail party, and throughout the episode, I enjoyed listening to 33-year-old Doug and 31-year-old Ryan talk about Chris being such a “naïve young’n” like they were wise old sages. The confrontation between Chris and Doug was very interesting. Doug wasn’t having any part of it and was incredibly condescending to Chris the whole time.

I was happy to finally sit down with Emily and hold our first serious deliberation this week. My talks with her this entire season are incredibly candid and honest. One thing I realized about Emily is she may not look like it but she notices everything and remembers it all. The biggest mistake any of these guys can make is underestimating this woman.

Charlie and Michael said goodbye this week. I know what all of you were thinking when Michael got the boot…. “Who is that guy and was he on the show this entire time?” I’m not sure either, and I assure you we’re currently checking surveillance tapes to confirm his existence. Next week we’re off to jolly ol’ England. It’s an incredibly trying week as Emily was under the weather and some of the guys start to push their luck a little too far. Proper tea and “F” bombs all next week from London!

Chris writes, "This week my favorite Ryan-ism was, 'God designed you to be a beautiful woman, so be a beautiful woman.' With gems like that it’s hard to believe he’s still single."
    ilja and Photobabe like this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

My favorite was, "So unless you are a hall of fame athlete please don’t refer to yourself by your own name… That’s just a little piece of advice from Chris."
    NEPASue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    My favorite was, "So unless you are a hall of fame athlete please don’t refer to yourself by your own name… That’s just a little piece of advice from Chris."
    I'll have to find that spot on my DVR - I must have missed it the first time around.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast