Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Doug - Bachelorette 8

FORT Fogey

Re: Doug - Bachelorette 8

I really do not see what the deal is concerning Doug. As far as I have seen from the show (and I have watched every second) , he has not done anything for anyone to think negative about him. Doug looks like Brad, a gentleman like Brad, from Emily's experience with Brad obviously she is sceptical. No one goes on a date with a woman/man even for the first few times and tells the other of their fault (which we all have). the other finds out the faults little by little as time goes on, and we really do not see our own faults.

Doug may be in the mix in dramas in the house, but the drama is usually not his starting nor his fault. With Chris, Doug is just a passive one and Chris is beating up on him. Infact Doug is really being the adult in the room. With Arie, we know Arie was playing on Doug's insecurities (no rose you go home date) hoping it will give Doug a terrible date which will send Doug home. Arie kept on winding him up and when he got frustrated, he may have given him a piece of his mind etc.

Doug was the one caring for the other father and from the little we've seen so far, he seems to take care of the others. Him not calling his mom his mother is no big deal. Some people who are given up for adoption still prefer to refer to the woman who brought them up as their mother and are not interested in their biological mothers. Doug is by no means odd in this aspect. Why should he want to be associated with his mother who was not interested in him. He has moved on and does not see her as his mother. end of story. That does not make him a villian, woman hater, psychologically damaged etc etc because of this. Usually the opposite occurs and people like this turn to be very resilient, strong, determined and focused as they have learned to struggle and overcome situations.
    Last edited by Living; 06-10-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    BTW, fireflyer, Arielflies and 2 others like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I get the starting argument part. What I am talking about is the part where some folks think that Emily has no desire to be a stepmom, which I don't see supported by anything we've seen or heard by her. I don't think she would keep anyone around to appease the viewers either. All of the bachelors have viewers that like them (well except maybe Kalon lol). So no matter who she lets go she'd be upsetting a viewer somewhere. Plus, after seeing how she's been handling the show, it's pretty clear that Emily is doing things the way she wants to, the producers have nothing to do with who she decides to give the roses to from her 1 on 1, and group dates. I just don't see a shred of evidence leading me to believe she would not date someone just because they too have a child.
    Emily is required to give out a certain number of roses on each show. If she gives out, for example, 12 roses, that doesn't necessarily mean that she's interested in all of those guys. Producers are of course interested in ratings. So producers are likely telling Emily which maybe two or three troubemakers, (including Doug), to give roses to... along with the few guys that she's genuinely interested in. There are guys who are filler... she's not interested in them, and they're not troublemakers... they don't cause drama... but she does have to give out a certain number of roses on each show. Also, Emily is constantly talking about a guy accepting Ricki... but she has never said even one word about her accepting a child a guy might have.
    NEPASue, Midol and AlwaysVeg like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Living View Post
    I really do not see what the deal is concerning Doug. As far as I have seen from the show (and I have watched every second) , he has not done anything for anyone to think negative about him. Doug looks like Brad, a gentleman like Brad, from Emily's experience with Brad obviously she is sceptical. No one goes on a date with a woman/man even for the first few times and tells the other of their fault (which we all have). the other finds out the faults little by little as time goes on, and we really do not see our own faults. Doug may be in the mix in dramas in the house, but the drama is usually not his starting nor his fault. With Chris, Doug is just a passive one and Chris is beating up on him. Infact Doug is really being the adult in the room. With Arie, we know Arie was playing on Doug's insecurities (no rose you go home date) hoping it will give Doug a terrible date which will send Doug home. Arie kept on winding him up and when he got frustrated, he may have given him a piece of his mind etc. Doug was the one caring for the other father and from the little we've seen so far, he seems to take care of the others. Him not calling his mom his mother is no big deal. Some people who are given up for adoption still prefer to refer to the woman who brought them up as their mother and are not interested in their biological mothers. Doug is by no means odd in this aspect. Why should he want to be associated with his mother who was not interested in him. He has moved on and does not see her as his mother. end of story. That does not make him a villian, woman hater, psychologically damaged etc etc because of this. Usually the opposite occurs and people like this turn to be very resilient, strong, determined and focused as they have learned to struggle and overcome situations.
    Emily told Doug that she was told that he started arguments with he guys. Doug doesn't see his biological mother as his mother, but he also doesn't have a stepmother he could see as a mother. My first impression of Doug was that he was a wise single dad, but then when Emily asked him what his faults were, he wouldn't admit to any. Doug wants Emily and the viewers to think that he's perfect: what's he hiding? Then I read the article about Doug's past. Sometimes it takes a while to find out someone's true colors.

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    Emily told Doug that she was told that he started arguments with he guys. Doug doesn't see his biological mother as his mother, but he also doesn't have a stepmother he could see as a mother. My first impression of Doug was that he was a wise single dad, but then when Emily asked him what his faults were, he wouldn't admit to any. Doug wants Emily and the viewers to think that he's perfect: what's he hiding? Then I read the article about Doug's past. Sometimes it takes a while to find out someone's true colors.

I think that Doug behaves in a way that is not uncommon from people with a painful past. They are good people at heart, but they don't know how to let theirs flaws be, how to let off a little steam safely, how to handle conflict because, quite simply, it was either never role modeled for them or they weren't in a mental state to understand. Which can result in appropriate behavior when angry or frustrated. Assuming that is him, which we obviously can't really know, then if he can just see that in himself, he can work on it. Unfortunately, too many of these people are holding on too tightly to allow themselves to see what needs to be done; they keep thinking that if they just hold on tighter the next episode won't happen.

Emily is required to give out a certain number of roses on each show. If she gives out, for example, 12 roses, that doesn't necessarily mean that she's interested in all of those guys. Producers are of course interested in ratings. So producers are likely telling Emily which maybe two or three troubemakers, (including Doug), to give roses to... along with the few guys that she's genuinely interested in. There are guys who are filler... she's not interested in them, and they're not troublemakers... they don't cause drama... but she does have to give out a certain number of roses on each show. Also, Emily is constantly talking about a guy accepting Ricki... but she has never said even one word about her accepting a child a guy might have.
    No she's not required to give out a certain number of roses on each show. Brad chose to not give out the last two roses during one of his rose ceremonies. I believe Ben chose to not give out the final rose during one of his ceremonies, plus he was letting girls go left and right, rose ceremony or no. One of the girl leads actually asked if she could give out an extra rose during one ceremony and she was allowed to. Emily chose to give Doug the rose during her 1 on 1 date, it was not during a rose ceremony. If she didn't want him to stay, she would not have given it to him, period. Like I said, it is clear that Emily is the one running the show here more than the producers are (which is how it should be anyway). Sure, they may ask her to keep certain guys as fillers with the roses she gives out during the ceremonies, but that was not the case with Doug - it was a 1 on 1 date.
    Living and ilja like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

Some people may not be comfortable airing their faults on television. Why should he have rattled off all his issues for her on their first date? And after he turned the tables on her, Emily herself admitted that wasn't really a fair question on a first date, and admitting your faults quickly, clearly, and concisely isn't that easy to do with someone you barely know. He obviously has had a fairly painful past, and I don't see any reason why he should rehash it for the viewing audience. He's there to see if he's the right guy for Emily and/or have fun, be on tv, travel, whatever... he signed up for The Bachelorette, not Dr. Phil!

Maybe they should have brought along Brad's shrink to provide counselling to the guys.
    BTW, fireflyer, Arielflies and 5 others like this.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    No she's not required to give out a certain number of roses on each show. Brad chose to not give out the last two roses during one of his rose ceremonies. I believe Ben chose to not give out the final rose during one of his ceremonies, plus he was letting girls go left and right, rose ceremony or no. One of the girl leads actually asked if she could give out an extra rose during one ceremony and she was allowed to. Emily chose to give Doug the rose during her 1 on 1 date, it was not during a rose ceremony. If she didn't want him to stay, she would not have given it to him, period. Like I said, it is clear that Emily is the one running the show here more than the producers are (which is how it should be anyway). Sure, they may ask her to keep certain guys as fillers with the roses she gives out during the ceremonies, but that was not the case with Doug - it was a 1 on 1 date.
    The difficult part for me is having a single parent stay any longer than necessary if you are not truly interested because you are keeping them from their child. Emily does seem to be intrigued with Doug with some reservations sprinkled in.

Doug wants Emily and the viewers to think that he's perfect: what's he hiding? Then I read the article about Doug's past. Sometimes it takes a while to find out someone's true colors.
    And sometimes people make mistakes that are really uncharacteristic and learn from them. Or these websites get half the facts and call it reporting. We can pretend we know exactly what went down in Doug's past, we weren't there, so it's possible that it wasn't as big a deal as the internet is making it out to be.

As for him not having anything to do with his mother...good for him! I'm in the same situation. My mom is toxic and she made my life miserable, dragging me into her messes and playing my siblings against each other. I chose to opt out of her life and I'm much happier. Sometimes you have to cut people out of your life so you can be happy and honestly, I see nothing wrong with that. We only get one life and we shouldn't have to live it in misery to appease someone else.
    Last edited by JavaJo; 06-10-2012 at 05:46 PM.
    sweetpea, Critical, ilja and 3 others like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Some people may not be comfortable airing their faults on television. Why should he have rattled off all his issues for her on their first date? And after he turned the tables on her, Emily herself admitted that wasn't really a fair question on a first date, and admitting your faults quickly, clearly, and concisely isn't that easy to do with someone you barely know. He obviously has had a fairly painful past, and I don't see any reason why he should rehash it for the viewing audience. He's there to see if he's the right guy for Emily and/or have fun, be on tv, travel, whatever... he signed up for The Bachelorette, not Dr. Phil!

Maybe they should have brought along Brad's shrink to provide counselling to the guys.
    Nooooooo not Brads shrink. ~~

They sign up for whatever reason they want, but their lives all get scrutinized. They should know that going in.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by DW_a_mom View Post
    I think that Doug behaves in a way that is not uncommon from people with a painful past. They are good people at heart, but they don't know how to let theirs flaws be, how to let off a little steam safely, how to handle conflict because, quite simply, it was either never role modeled for them or they weren't in a mental state to understand. Which can result in appropriate behavior when angry or frustrated. Assuming that is him, which we obviously can't really know, then if he can just see that in himself, he can work on it. Unfortunately, too many of these people are holding on too tightly to allow themselves to see what needs to be done; they keep thinking that if they just hold on tighter the next episode won't happen.
    Doug is doing the best he can to fit in, to be one of the guys... but when he talked to Emily, he wouldn't admit to having any faults. He's trying to function... When they added him to the cast, did they expect that Doug would have a hard time trying to cope?