Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Like Tree710Likes

Thread: Jef - Bachelorette 8

Re: Jef - Bachelorette 8

He seems like a great guy. But, like others here, I don't see him as Emily's choice.

Also, I think religion will play a part. Very few Mormons marry outside their faith and those that do expect their spouses to convert. Especially where children are involved. Maybe Emily is open to converting and becoming a Mormon. But, if she is not open to that, she ought to send Jef home now.
    angelic_one2002 likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I've read that he isn't practicing anymore so I'm not so sure his religion will even be a factor.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I've read that he isn't practicing anymore so I'm not so sure his religion will even be a factor.
    It is a big factor. Maybe they do not realize it themselves but when the doctrines, RITUALS and practices are VERY diffierent it should be a deciding factor. What happens when there are chilldren and Emily wants them to be Christians, baptised etc. Or after years of seeking other things, Jef turns to religion - his own and expect the family to be one with him. No.. this is an issue especially if you intend spending 60+ years of marital bliss together.

At least with Brad, the situation got exposed quite quickly as he works at night and that may cause problems with family life and kids etc. After experiencing that, they could decide to call it quits BEFORE marriage. Fooling yourself that belief does not matter is just stupid, immature, childish at best.
    Last edited by Living; 06-16-2012 at 01:16 PM.

My take on all this is that it's unlikely they will ever make it to the altar let alone spend 60 years married to each other. I know, I know, my cynicism is showing but we've all seen how these relationships, for the most part, bite the dust if not sooner, then later. So if she were to choose Jef to see how things progress, I think there will be lots of time to discuss religion, child-rearing philosophies, politics, etc to see if they can be compatible. Even if they have an 'engagement' at the FRC I don't see it as a real one, frankly. It's part of the show, but I don't honestly believe these people truly, deep down inside, believe they will marry this person they barely know without spending time getting to really know them first.

Quote Originally Posted by Living View Post
    Fooling yourself that belief does not matter is just stupid, immature, childish at best.
    Well, in my own marriage of 12 years, it hasn't mattered one bit.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Living View Post
    It is a big factor. Maybe they do not realize it themselves but when the doctrines, RITUALS and practices are VERY diffierent it should be a deciding factor. What happens when there are chilldren and Emily wants them to be Christians, baptised etc. Or after years of seeking other things, Jef turns to religion - his own and expect the family to be one with him. No.. this is an issue especially if you intend spending 60+ years of marital bliss together.

At least with Brad, the situation got exposed quite quickly as he works at night and that may cause problems with family life and kids etc. After experiencing that, they could decide to call it quits BEFORE marriage. Fooling yourself that belief does not matter is just stupid, immature, childish at best.

Totally uncalled for. In addition I am a non practicing Catholic and I don't care what the guy's religion is. If he treats me right it doesn't matter

FORT Fogey

We have no idea what religion Emily practices, if any (at least I don't), or how important religion is to her or to Jef, for that matter. Therefore, it seems inappropriate to to state absolutely how important religious beliefs are in a marriage or relationship, as it would be different for different people. If we're talking about values in general, then I do think that matters.
    JavaJo likes this.

Emily is either Baptist or Methodist. Some people can manage different faiths. I know some that have. I my opinion them making it to the altar is nil to none but if both are very devout in their beliefs then this is something that should be considered before talking marriage.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

FORT Fan

I have relatives - she is devout catholic, he was devout atheist. They were married 30+ years with 2 kids - til death did they part. Just sayin...
    Everything is better with music. I want my life to have a soundtrack.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    He seems like a great guy. But, like others here, I don't see him as Emily's choice.

Also, I think religion will play a part. Very few Mormons marry outside their faith and those that do expect their spouses to convert. Especially where children are involved. Maybe Emily is open to converting and becoming a Mormon. But, if she is not open to that, she ought to send Jef home now.
    He stated on his bio he is only half Mormon and seeing how both his parents are practicing Mormons I'm assuming he just follows it loosely. He drank a beer on the show, and believe me, a practicing Mormon would never do that. They don't even believe in drinking caffeine, no coffee, or soda, etc.