Closed Thread
Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree710Likes

Thread: Jef - Bachelorette 8

FORT Newbie

Re: Jef - Bachelorette 8

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    If he is half Mormon wonder what the other half is because to me that would dictate what religion they would follow should she pick him to be her F1. I do know from reading her twitter she is involved in her church.
    When I read that he is "half Mormon" they meant it as both of his parents are Mormon and his family is, but he only half way follows the religion. So he is not "half Mormon" in the sense that one parent is, but just in how he practices the faith.
    J.D. likes this.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Do they both have to practice the same religion? I know many couples who don't. If one of them insists on it, that's another story.
    No, we don't all marry other Mormons. However, many do insist on it, and it can be a pretty restrictive lifestyle (and parents can be pretty unforgiving on the subject) - I think it would be a big change for Emily. Although I read she is involved in her church, so hopefully she knows what to expect. I don't think we'll see too many discussions between the two of them on this topic. If he ever gets a one-on-one date, that is! Also, he doesn't seem to be overbearing about it. Now if it were Kaylon....that would be completely different. Ugh.

I've never heard of a half-Mormon, regardless of his parents' beliefs. One either is or isn't. If he has been baptized into the church, he is a "full" Mormon. If he hasn't, he isn't. An inactive Mormon is called a Jack Mormon, and I have no idea where that term comes from. I doubt he was drinking vodka "for realsies".

Ok, that's all I'll say about his religion....don't want to derail the convo.

Does anyone know about the company of which he is CEO? When he was profiled at the beginning of the season, it appeared that the company was a family-run business. I'm going to speculate he is CEO in title only.

I agree he will probably make it to the final 4. However, I also agree with those who say she probably won't find love in this bunch - although it is fun to play along.
    Last edited by J.D.; 05-30-2012 at 09:26 PM.

FORT Fogey

He may not be a Mormon. Just because his family is doesn't mean he is, baptized or not. He may have a different set of beliefs. I know many people who were raised Catholic and no longer subscribe to that religion.

Who is John Galt?

I still don't see anything attractive about this guy (I just can't get around that "hair"). He looks too much like a little boy - not a man!

Quote Originally Posted by aname2 View Post
    I still don't see anything attractive about this guy (I just can't get around that "hair"). He looks too much like a little boy - not a man!
    I think they all do, so that's not new. Did she ask for a certain age group? or can they?
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

After seeing Emily with Arie, I see more chemistry with Arie than with Jef. Actually, compared to Arie, Jef is like a kid. I do not understand though why the camera seems to pan to his face every so often.
    NEPASue, cindebugg and jucamer like this.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilja
    Now that would be a surprise. I have more faith in someone finding true love on this show than in them being able to keep the F1 a secret.
    Really? I have more faith in keeping the F1 as a secret, than the true love thing. lol That's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by CruGirl13
    When I read that he is "half Mormon" they meant it as both of his parents are Mormon and his family is, but he only half way follows the religion.
    I've seen that more often than not. Some people pick and choose which aspects of their religion they will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    I've never heard of a half-Mormon, regardless of his parents' beliefs. One either is or isn't. If he has been baptized into the church, he is a "full" Mormon. If he hasn't, he isn't. An inactive Mormon is called a Jack Mormon, and I have no idea where that term comes from.
    Really? Is that a term for inactive Mormons used by active Mormons or do non active Mormons call themselves a Jack Mormon?
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Living View Post
    After seeing Emily with Arie, I see more chemistry with Arie than with Jef. Actually, compared to Arie, Jef is like a kid. I do not understand though why the camera seems to pan to his face every so often.
    We haven't seen her with Jef
    Shoepie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    Really? I have more faith in keeping the F1 as a secret, than the true love thing. lol That's just me.

I've seen that more often than not. Some people pick and choose which aspects of their religion they will follow.

Really? Is that a term for inactive Mormons used by active Mormons or do non active Mormons call themselves a Jack Mormon?
    As far as I know, I am a "jack" Mormon. Baptised into the church and lapsed. The origin was more like being Mormon by association - not baptised but interested in the religion and friendly to LDS. I have known many LDS through the years, though, who called themselves Jack for not following all the aspects of the faith - drinking alcohol, for instance. Far as I know, that doesn't count; if you actively don't follow the beliefs, you shouldn't consider yourself to be part of the faith.

Like Fanny Mare says, I'm very interested to see the interaction between Emily and Jef when it finally happens! And that has nothing to do with his religion. There just seems to be some connection, despite little one-on-one time.
    Shoepie likes this.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by wannasee View Post
    As far as I know, I am a "jack" Mormon. Baptised into the church and lapsed. The origin was more like being Mormon by association - not baptised but interested in the religion and friendly to LDS. I have known many LDS through the years, though, who called themselves Jack for not following all the aspects of the faith - drinking alcohol, for instance. Far as I know, that doesn't count; if you actively don't follow the beliefs, you shouldn't consider yourself to be part of the faith.

Like Fanny Mare says, I'm very interested to see the interaction between Emily and Jef when it finally happens! And that has nothing to do with his religion. There just seems to be some connection, despite little one-on-one time.
    I guess I could have been more clear on the issue. I was using a rather strict definition (in my mind, anyway) of being a Mormon. I consider anyone who is still "on the books" a Mormon, whether they are active or not. I was baptized and confirmed into the religion when I was 8 (which is the usual age), and was active until I was about 15. Then I stopped practicing, sort of off and on for a few years...and am now completely inactive, but still consider myself a Mormon. I've never heard anyone refer to themselves as a half-Mormon, but I live in a pretty highly concentrated full-Mormon area.

Also, when I compare with members of other religions, my Catholic friends who are inactive still refer to themselves as Catholic, etc.

So I guess it's all subjective?
    wannasee likes this.

Closed Thread