Closed Thread
Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree1047Likes

Thread: Emily Maynard - Season 8 Bachelorette

Re: Emily Maynard - Season 8 Bachelorette

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    If Emily raises a polite, well-behaved child who treats others with respect then I think she's accomplished a heck of a lot, especially in this day and age. I don't care that she didn't go to college, not everyone does. I went to college and now stay home with my kids. My legacy will be what I teach them and not the piece of paper and degree I got or the job I once held. This life isn't for everyone and some can't afford to do it but I don't think it's fair to knock those who can or choose to...
    I love your post!! There is more to life than getting a college education and a job. Not everyone wants this as their life. I don't understand when being a full time mother suddenly became a horrible thing. It's not. I started working when I was 14, got my college degree, worked in some great companies, traveled the world, then I got married and had my son. I quit my job the moment I found out I was pregnant and haven't missed it for one second. Now missing time with my son, that's something I would regret when I am 80. That's what makes living here so great. You can choose to live your life the way you want to, and no one should be judging another woman for what they decide to do. Emily has quite obviously carved out a lovely life for herself and her daughter, that's all that should matter. JMHO
    JunkieGirl, J.D., justCoz and 9 others like this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

FORT Fogey

You worked and you went to school, and then you got married and made a decision to stay home with your son. That is nowhere close to Emily's situation. She did not work, did not go to school, we've heard nothing about her having any plans to do so ... and I do think that would have been mentioned. Emily didn't carve out anything. She accidentally got pregnant as a teenager, and lucked out by the father having come from a wealthy family, and perhaps her own family being wealthy as well. Either one or both families are supporting her and her child. She didn't accomplish anything to get where she is, except for getting pregnant at 18.
    bachelorwatcher likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    I love your post!! There is more to life than getting a college education and a job. Not everyone wants this as their life. I don't understand when being a full time mother suddenly became a horrible thing. It's not. I started working when I was 14, got my college degree, worked in some great companies, traveled the world, then I got married and had my son. I quit my job the moment I found out I was pregnant and haven't missed it for one second. Now missing time with my son, that's something I would regret when I am 80. That's what makes living here so great. You can choose to live your life the way you want to, and no one should be judging another woman for what they decide to do. Emily has quite obviously carved out a lovely life for herself and her daughter, that's all that should matter. JMHO
    There are women who can't quit their jobs the moment they find out they're pregnant... because their husbands don't make enough money. There are husbands who die or abandon their families. Ashley's father abandoned his family, so she decided to get a career to make sure that she would be able to take care of herself. Emily likely came from a family that didn't have any money problems. She expects to be taken care of. Emily has never talked about her parents struggling to pay the mortgage.
    AlwaysVeg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    You worked and you went to school, and then you got married and made a decision to stay home with your son. That is nowhere close to Emily's situation. She did not work, did not go to school, we've heard nothing about her having any plans to do so ... and I do think that would have been mentioned. Emily didn't carve out anything. She accidentally got pregnant as a teenager, and lucked out by the father having come from a wealthy family, and perhaps her own family being wealthy as well. Either one or both families are supporting her and her child. She didn't accomplish anything to get where she is, except for getting pregnant at 18.
    I still say it doesn't matter how she got into the situation she is in. Yes, she is very lucky to have a wealthy family, and have a child by the son of a wealthy family. I'd say she's not so lucky that her first love died in a plane crash shortly before she found out she was pregnant. It's not as if she planned her life to pan out this way, it just happened that way. I don't get why it matters if she goes to college or gets a job when she clearly doesn't have to in order to provide for her daughter. And she IS accomplishing something, she's raising a little girl. Most parents will tell you (especially mothers) that they feel that that is their greatest accomplishment. I know it certainly is mine.

Love ya Veg!
    Last edited by mesachick; 05-22-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    J.D., cantstopwatchin and ilja like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bachelorwatcher View Post
    There are women who can't quit their jobs the moment they find out they're pregnant... because their husbands don't make enough money. There are husbands who die or abandon their families. Ashley's father abandoned his family, so she decided to get a career to make sure that she would be able to take care of herself. Emily likely came from a family that didn't have any money problems. She expects to be taken care of. Emily has never talked about her parents struggling to pay the mortgage.
    Thank you! This is exactly what irritates me. Not only does it reek of a sense of entitlement, but it is also foolish. Circumstances can and often do change in life, and she is ill-prepared to take care of herself and her child without other people's money and no job or career training.

Absolutely agree. But I don't see how anyone can fault a person for coming from a rich background, and that's what this seems to be about.

FORT Fogey

No, that's not what it's about. Plenty of "kids" come from a wealthy background, but they still get a higher education and a job. The Trump kids are an example. Granted, they work for Daddy, but I bet he works their asses off and they all have drive and ambition. I don't think parents are doing their kids any favors by paying their way through life.
    nennie and CrazyDutchWoman like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mesachick View Post
    Absolutely agree. But I don't see how anyone can fault a person for coming from a rich background, and that's what this seems to be about.
    What if the Hendricks just support her until she gets married. Then, after Emily is married for a while, her husband leaves her for another woman. Then what would Emily do?

What if the Hendricks just support her until she gets married. Then, after Emily is married for a while, her husband leaves her for another woman. Then what would Emily do?
    She could get her butt out and get a job like millions of other people.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Just a reminder that everyone here is entitled to their opinion and we should respect that. Some feel Emily is entitled and some feel she is just lucky...either way, everyone has the right to their opinion and it should be left at that. Let's curb the fussing and arguing now before it gets out of hand please.

Thank you,
    Jo
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Closed Thread